Powerlifting More Peat Friendly Than Bodybuilding

Mastemah

Talking w Peat, Olympia lifting, sprints, chopping wood, kettlebells, dance, gymnastics, throws, martial arts, bodybuilding etc all work if theres concentric emphasis and a reduction in eccentric emphasis. So its programming and technique, not the craft.

You can do a lot of work if you dont tank pulse, temp, sleep etc.

Mentors/teacher relationships lower stress hormone response as does enjoyment. Thats why some people can do harder things and still be healthy. The social environment and joy are huge.

Peat mentioned he liked walking, chopping wood and fixing things around the house.

OP
P

Pufa

Talking w Peat, Olympia lifting, sprints, chopping wood, kettlebells, dance, gymnastics, throws, martial arts, bodybuilding etc all work if theres concentric emphasis and a reduction in eccentric emphasis. So its programming and technique, not the craft.

You can do a lot of work if you dont tank pulse, temp, sleep etc.

Mentors/teacher relationships lower stress hormone response as does enjoyment. Thats why some people can do harder things and still be healthy. The social environment and joy are huge.

Peat mentioned he liked walking, chopping wood and fixing things around the house.

Bodybuilding is actually the only craft that focuses on eccentric. Sports are great.. even jumping is purely concentric. You talk to ray directly?

Taotatoes

Okay, so according to this article everyone who has great genetics and gets super shredded is on drugs then right?

As a female who's been into natural bodybuilding for 25 years (who's witnessed many friends compete naturally) and has also been diced multiple times in her life, I can attest that this level of conditioning is in fact possible for (some) without the assistance of PEDs. Being that Nunez hasn't outgrown his frame (which is usually the biggest giveaway that someone's used at some point in their career) and that I know him personally (to be a reputable stand up guy who's super experienced in diet prep) I can say that I'm 99.9% sure he's a natty (aside from maybe using diuretics and stimulants). But whatevs. Heh.

OP
P

Pufa

Okay, so according to this article everyone who has great genetics and gets super shredded is on drugs then right?

As a female who's been into natural bodybuilding for 25 years (who's witnessed many friends compete naturally) and has also been diced multiple times in her life, I can attest that this level of conditioning is in fact possible for (some) without the assistance of PEDs. Being that Nunez hasn't outgrown his frame (which is usually the biggest giveaway that someone's used at some point in their career) and that I know him personally (to be a reputable stand up guy who's super experienced in diet prep) I can say that I'm 99.9% sure he's a natty (aside from maybe using diuretics and stimulants). But whatevs. Heh.

I think you misunderstood the author... he agrees with you. Mass is within natural range for genetically gifted.. but the extreme shred is probably diuretics!

Taotatoes

I think you misunderstood the author... he agrees with you. Mass is within natural range for genetically gifted.. but the extreme shred is probably diuretics!

I got that, but it read a bit like the author is toeing the line throughout (everyone uses diuretics but they are only a very small component of this type of conditioning). Nunez is a literal wizard when it comes to his diet preps.

Last edited:

Runenight201

Alternate point of view, but I’ve had great success this week with static holds. Completely different style of training, used heavily in martial arts (horse stance), yoga, and calisthenics.

All my smaller stabilizer muscles are sore, yet my body is not drained. Whenever I would do lots of bodyweight (or worse) weighted presses/pulls, my body would become excessively drained. I could never maintain a session for long without resorting to excessive stimulants or milk/sugar (which would be great for strength training but introduces other problems).

For the aesthetically inclined, look at the physiques of those who do calisthenics/gymnastics/martial arts, and you’ll see absolutely light-weight, shredded individuals. It’s a discipline that demands very little excess body fat.

I enjoy doing the holds. It’s almost meditative. I like listening to a ticking clock as I just get into and then hold a position. In fact I just like the sound of a ticking clock in general. It’s comforting.

OP
P

Pufa

Alternate point of view, but I’ve had great success this week with static holds. Completely different style of training, used heavily in martial arts (horse stance), yoga, and calisthenics.

All my smaller stabilizer muscles are sore, yet my body is not drained. Whenever I would do lots of bodyweight (or worse) weighted presses/pulls, my body would become excessively drained. I could never maintain a session for long without resorting to excessive stimulants or milk/sugar (which would be great for strength training but introduces other problems).

For the aesthetically inclined, look at the physiques of those who do calisthenics/gymnastics/martial arts, and you’ll see absolutely light-weight, shredded individuals. It’s a discipline that demands very little excess body fat.

I enjoy doing the holds. It’s almost meditative. I like listening to a ticking clock as I just get into and then hold a position. In fact I just like the sound of a ticking clock in general. It’s comforting.

Nah thats not gonna work for muscle.
All gymnasts are doing explosive training including bodyweight, and things like iron cross..
that's why they are shredded.

Yogis are more inclined to isometrics only like you, but their body's are not like gymnasts.

Runenight201

Nah thats not gonna work for muscle.
All gymnasts are doing explosive training including bodyweight, and things like iron cross..
that's why they are shredded.

Yogis are more inclined to isometrics only like you, but their body's are not like gymnasts.

Lol in your chastisement of isometric holds you mention an isometric hold....

Of course isometric holds will work for building muscle. The body needs intensity to adapt. Isometrics provide intensity. Go hold a wall squat for 3 minutes right now and tell me you don’t have the most insane burn of your life :)

Jing

He could be natural but most natural bodybuilders use steroids they just come off when it is contest time.

OP
P

Pufa

Lol in your chastisement of isometric holds you mention an isometric hold....

Of course isometric holds will work for building muscle. The body needs intensity to adapt. Isometrics provide intensity. Go hold a wall squat for 3 minutes right now and tell me you don’t have the most insane burn of your life :)

The whole point is not to feel the burn.. that's lactic acid! Bodybuilding is an insane burn too.. were trying to avoid that. Hence powerlifting is a good solution.
Why are you avoiding milk and sugar? You mentioned that's why you cant handle doing bodyweight excersices

Runenight201

The whole point is not to feel the burn.. that's lactic acid! Bodybuilding is an insane burn too.. were trying to avoid that. Hence powerlifting is a good solution.
Why are you avoiding milk and sugar? You mentioned that's why you cant handle doing bodyweight excersices

I try to avoid excess milk and sugar. Some is definitely good.

I just had a good training session this morning. Restorative mixture of isometrics, yoga movements, bodyweight exercises, and stretching. Very stimulating, relaxing, invigorating, rejuvenating, all at once.

Powerlifting is very intense. Great for building strength but I don’t think it’s the best for health. It doesn’t really help one move properly and also overly develops the prime movers relative to the rest of the body. The amount of people who get hurt training in such a fashion is way too high.

OP
P

Pufa

He could be natural but most natural bodybuilders use steroids they just come off when it is contest time.

Anytime there is money involved theres a motivation. Anyway her frie
I try to avoid excess milk and sugar. Some is definitely good.

I just had a good training session this morning. Restorative mixture of isometrics, yoga movements, bodyweight exercises, and stretching. Very stimulating, relaxing, invigorating, rejuvenating, all at once.

Powerlifting is very intense. Great for building strength but I don’t think it’s the best for health. It doesn’t really help one move properly and also overly develops the prime movers relative to the rest of the body. The amount of people who get hurt training in such a fashion is way too high.

No problems with what you said.. I love hatha yoga.. its def healthier.

YourUniverse

I always enjoyed reading the stuff Pavel Tsatsouline puts out. He tends to focus on having reps @ the 5 range with longer rest periods.

I just got back into weightlifting about 15 weeks ago and it has been very fun thus far. I haven't consistently lifted in like 7 or 8 years and therefore have no lifted since I learned about Ray's stuff. It's been fun so far.
How has your hypertrophy been on such a plan?

schultz

How has your hypertrophy been on such a plan?

Pretty good actually, but I imagine a lot of it is due to essentially being a 'beginner'. I haven't done consistent weight lifting for several years. I don't think I've ever consistently lifted for more than a single year actually. So my goal is to do it for a year and I am mostly focused on increasing strength in that time. I have always had a weak barbell squat in the past and would like to get that to 405lbs. I would also like to get my standing shoulder press to 200lbs. I doubt I can do that in a year but we'll see...

sladerunner69

I agree, he doesn't look like he has outgrown his frame. He could still be natural.

I also don't think lactic acid is evil, in the context of one brief HIT session per week.

Has anyone read Body By Science?

Taotatoes

I agree, he doesn't look like he has outgrown his frame. He could still be natural.

I also don't think lactic acid is evil, in the context of one brief HIT session per week.

Has anyone read Body By Science?

Agreed.

I've read many others but not that one, one of my regular recommendations is Science and Development of Hypertrophy by Brad Schoenfeld. I never get bored of reading about physiology and kinesiology tho so I will see if my library carries the above mentioned.

sladerunner69

Agreed.

I've read many others but not that one, one of my regular recommendations is Science and Development of Hypertrophy by Brad Schoenfeld. I never get bored of reading about physiology and kinesiology tho so I will see if my library carries the above mentioned.

It's unique in that Dr Mcguff prescribes just one breif, but intense, 15 minute resistance workout each week. He believes the vast majority of people don't have the genetics to benefit from a bigger workload than that. He believes most bodybuilders are genetic anomolies

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals