Powerlifting More Peat Friendly Than Bodybuilding

Pufa

I noticed that implemting ray peat principles into my bodybuilding routine that it basically became powerlifting.
With power lifting you lift something heavy 4 - 6 reps max.
No focus on essentric, only concentric
Not light enough weight to build up the lactic acid
Well see how my body reacts.. but I feel way better than when I was doing tons of reps destroying the muscle.

schultz

I always enjoyed reading the stuff Pavel Tsatsouline puts out. He tends to focus on having reps @ the 5 range with longer rest periods.

I just got back into weightlifting about 15 weeks ago and it has been very fun thus far. I haven't consistently lifted in like 7 or 8 years and therefore have no lifted since I learned about Ray's stuff. It's been fun so far.

Arnau

This is what i have been doing too the past year, i do 3 exercises per week: deadlift(monday), weighted pullups(Wednesday) and clean&jerk(Friday). I do 1rm 3-4 times and just the concentric part and i have never been so strong I recommend it.

OP
P

Pufa

I always enjoyed reading the stuff Pavel Tsatsouline puts out. He tends to focus on having reps @ the 5 range with longer rest periods.

I just got back into weightlifting about 15 weeks ago and it has been very fun thus far. I haven't consistently lifted in like 7 or 8 years and therefore have no lifted since I learned about Ray's stuff. It's been fun so far.

I've seen some huge guys at the gym lift like that. Some of them take several min breaks between sets.
Yea too many benefits to give it up totally. But I think if the weight is heavy enough that you can get all the hypertrophy you need. Has to be way heavier than bodybuilding

GreekDemiGod

Reverse Pyramid Training is amazing for maximal Testosterone and low stress. You lift heavy 3-4 workouts / week, nothing more. Range varies from 4-6 to 8-10 reps. You train very close to maximal failure every set, so you need 48h hours to recover, that's why you only train 3-4 times / week.
Imo, it's the best style that will give you the most amount of muscle and strength for the least amount of time spent in the gym.
When I was doing high reps, classic bodybuilding, my libido was low and felt drained every time.

OP
P

Pufa

Reverse Pyramid Training is amazing for maximal Testosterone and low stress. You lift heavy 3-4 workouts / week, nothing more. Range varies from 4-6 to 8-10 reps. You train very close to maximal failure every set, so you need 48h hours to recover, that's why you only train 3-4 times / week.
Imo, it's the best style that will give you the most amount of muscle and strength for the least amount of time spent in the gym.
When I was doing high reps, classic bodybuilding, my libido was low and felt drained every time.

Interesting.. I've done reverse pyramid before but not long term. What was you split like?

OP
P

Pufa

This is what i have been doing too the past year, i do 3 exercises per week: deadlift(monday), weighted pullups(Wednesday) and clean&jerk(Friday). I do 1rm 3-4 times and just the concentric part and i have never been so strong I recommend it.

Great excersices.. you still gain mass on such low volume?

Arnau

Great excersices.. you still gain mass on such low volume?
Yes I gained more mass doing this routine than when I used to do regular bodybuilding, think that you do just one rep each but really intense bc its maximum weight and so far every week Ive been able to increase the weights and calories too.

boris

How does this work "concentric only"? I know Peat says the reverse motion causes more lactic acid.

How do you do it? Just drop the weight to the floor? I always wondered how to approach this, especially for something like bench press.

OP
P

Pufa

How does this work "concentric only"? I know Peat says the reverse motion causes more lactic acid.

How do you do it? Just drop the weight to the floor? I always wondered how to approach this, especially for something like bench press.

Explode into the concentric.. then let the weight down without resisting it quickly. Think of deadlifters.. they aren't worried about essentric. I've seen some guys just drop it too.. but depends on the type of gym you go to, some may not allow that

OP
P

Pufa

Yes I gained more mass doing this routine than when I used to do regular bodybuilding, think that you do just one rep each but really intense bc its maximum weight and so far every week Ive been able to increase the weights and calories too.

Interesting.. are your arms and chest growing fine too without direct training?

Inaut

If I had my own gym I think this would be an interesting experiment. In theory I love the idea of it........ I was thinking this could be a great form of exercise for the ill or people in fragile states of health..::..

docall18

Most natural bodybuilders recommend heavy compound exercises in the 4-6 range, similar to Peat.

Higher reps and isolation exercises are done by juicers and inexperienced bb's in my experience.

GreekDemiGod

Interesting.. I've done reverse pyramid before but not long term. What was you split like?
Monday: Back, Shoulders, Biceps
Wednesday: Chest & front-delts & biceps
Friday: Legs and Row/OHP

I am still fine-tuning my routine. I deadlift and squat once a week, and like to focus on shoulders & biceps development in my pursuit of an 'aesthetic' physique.

RPT is a minimalistic style of training. You can not do RPT and train 5 times per week, that's not true RPT do that.
It's supposed to be very high intensity (RPE 8.5 / 9) and heavily drains your CNS.
I follow this guide The Reverse Pyramid Training Guide | Leangains

I think it's superior to 5 x 5 because 5 x 5 will surely build strength, but with RPT, you have the 2nd and 3rd set, going for 6 or 8 reps, sometimes 10 reps if doing pull-ups, that really drive the much needed hypertrophy.

vulture

I noticed that implemting ray peat principles into my bodybuilding routine that it basically became powerlifting.
With power lifting you lift something heavy 4 - 6 reps max.
No focus on essentric, only concentric
Not light enough weight to build up the lactic acid
Well see how my body reacts.. but I feel way better than when I was doing tons of reps destroying the muscle.
High rep ranges usually means more lactic acid. Weightlifting also manages low rep ranges.
I really like Mark Rippetoe’s approach: it revolves around getting stronger in basic movement patterns, it even discards dangerous things that might be useful for competitive lifters

vulture

You can’t do your RM 4 times, AFAIK, it wouldn’t be your RM

Arnau

Interesting.. are your arms and chest growing fine too without direct training?

My arms yes, specially my wrist and forearms. My chest hasnt grown as much as when i used to do isolated weight for chest but i dont mind I prefer my current body shape doing these exercises.

You can’t do your RM 4 times, AFAIK, it wouldn’t be your RM

Yeah sorry, close to 1rm I would say but with long resting periods.

GreekDemiGod

@vulture Not training above 6 reps at all might not be optimal for size.
I get solid strength and size in the 4 - 6 range, but I still feel like I need to go up to 8 reps on Dumbbell Bench Press or Pull-ups

OP
P

Pufa

Most natural bodybuilders recommend heavy compound exercises in the 4-6 range, similar to Peat.

Higher reps and isolation exercises are done by juicers and inexperienced bb's in my experience.

If you can share any info from true natural bodybuilders that would be cool. Lot of the nattys especially on YT are fake and secretly hit the needle

OP
P

Pufa

My arms yes, specially my wrist and forearms. My chest hasnt grown as much as when i used to do isolated weight for chest but i dont mind I prefer my current body shape doing these exercises.

Yeah sorry, close to 1rm I would say but with long resting periods.

Nice. Its probably because when your curling, your arms aren't holding hundreds of pounds like a deadlift.
Old school bbs like sandow never isolated chest either.