OpenAi chatgpt

Laurence

The problem/question is this - how long would it take for a human to verify chatGPT output, especially on critical topics?

I've been using the subscription based ChatGPT Plus which has GPT-4 available. Far better responses than freely available GPT-3.5. Fewer 'hallucinations' which is the term they use when it confidently makes stuff up. Happy to paste in replies if anyone has questions to test out.

Also GPT-4 is getting fairly good at self improving if you ask it to verify a response:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SgJKZLBrmg

Rate of change is quite simply frightening at the moment. Has a browser plugin now so it can make use of current data for example.
I use it all the time in my software job. From concept through to implementation stages using GPT-4 it is the programming equivalent of being on PED's. Google search feels so primitive now for certain things.
Programmers, and I suppose a lot of other fields like legal etc where language/logic form the core are effectively training AI how to do their job at the moment. Oh well, its been fun while it lasted.

For an insightful but heavy going talk by Dr Wolfram on how GPT is able to amaze us with its emergent properties see here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHPQ_oSsJgg

LLight

Happy to paste in replies if anyone has questions to test out.
Hi Laurence,
I was thinking to ask it if it was able to describe the relations between water homeostasis and bile acid metabolism. How are they intertwinned? Are there good scientific papers about the link? Based on the research, what is better between drinking during meal or during intermeal fasting?

I'm not sure how these kind of questions are best formulated.

Thanks in advance if you have some time to test its knowledge about these questions.

Laurence

Hi Laurence,
I was thinking to ask it if it was able to describe the relations between water homeostasis and bile acid metabolism. How are they intertwinned? Are there good scientific papers about the link? Based on the research, what is better between drinking during meal or during intermeal fasting?
Sure:

"from a physiological point of view can you describe the relationship between water homeostasis and bile acid metabolism?"
GPT-4 said:
From a physiological point of view, water homeostasis and bile acid metabolism are interconnected processes that contribute to maintaining overall body fluid balance and digestive function.
Water homeostasis is the process by which the body maintains an optimal balance of water content to ensure proper functioning of all cells and organs. This balance is regulated by several mechanisms, including the actions of hormones like antidiuretic hormone (ADH) and aldosterone, which control water absorption in the kidneys. Adequate hydration is crucial for maintaining blood volume, blood pressure, and temperature regulation, among other functions.
Bile acids are synthesized in the liver from cholesterol and are stored in the gallbladder. Bile acids play a crucial role in the digestion and absorption of dietary lipids, as they emulsify fats, making them more accessible for digestion by pancreatic lipase. Bile acids are also involved in the enterohepatic circulation, which is the recycling of bile acids between the liver, intestines, and gallbladder. This process ensures efficient use of bile acids and contributes to cholesterol homeostasis.
The relationship between water homeostasis and bile acid metabolism can be described in the following ways:
  1. Fluid balance: Adequate hydration is necessary for bile production and secretion. Bile is composed mainly of water (approximately 97%), along with bile salts, cholesterol, and other substances. Maintaining proper water balance ensures that bile remains fluid, facilitating its transport and function in the digestive system.
  2. Electrolyte balance: Bile acids can affect the absorption of electrolytes, such as sodium and chloride, in the intestines. This, in turn, influences water balance in the body, as water follows the osmotic gradient created by electrolytes. Disruption in bile acid metabolism can lead to changes in electrolyte absorption and contribute to alterations in water homeostasis.
  3. Osmotic regulation: Bile acids can exert osmotic effects on the intestines, influencing the movement of water and electrolytes. In the large intestine, bile acids can help maintain osmotic balance by increasing the solute concentration and promoting water absorption, thereby preventing excessive fluid loss in the feces.
In summary, water homeostasis and bile acid metabolism are interconnected processes that contribute to maintaining fluid balance, digestion, and absorption of nutrients. Disruptions in either process can have significant implications for overall health and well-being.

"Based on that, what is better between drinking during meals or drinking in between meals?"
GPT-4 said:
The ideal time to drink water, whether during or in between meals, can vary depending on individual preferences and digestive health. Here are some points to consider for both approaches:
Drinking during meals:
  1. Aids digestion: Drinking water during meals can help break down food, making it easier for your digestive system to process it.
  2. May improve nutrient absorption: Drinking water while eating can help dissolve some vitamins and minerals, making it easier for your body to absorb them.
  3. Hydration: Consuming water during meals can contribute to your daily fluid intake, helping you stay properly hydrated.
However, drinking too much water during meals can dilute stomach acid, potentially slowing down digestion and making it more difficult for your body to break down proteins and absorb certain nutrients.
Drinking in between meals:
  1. Supports digestion: Drinking water between meals can help maintain optimal stomach acid levels and enzyme activity, promoting more efficient digestion.
  2. Reduces appetite: Consuming water between meals can help you feel fuller, which may help with weight management by reducing the amount of food you eat during meals.
  3. Hydration: Drinking water throughout the day helps to maintain adequate hydration levels, ensuring the proper functioning of bodily processes.
However, waiting too long between meals to drink water can lead to dehydration, which can negatively impact digestion, energy levels, and overall well-being.
In conclusion, both approaches have their benefits and drawbacks. The ideal method for you may depend on your individual needs, preferences, and digestive health. It's essential to listen to your body and stay properly hydrated throughout the day. If you're unsure about the best approach for your specific situation, consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian for personalized advice.

Fairly generic response but quite a good summary I think.
Asking about scientific links to the first question, problem with some links but the papers do seem to exist at least!

"Are there any good scientific papers about the link?"

GPT-4 said:
While I cannot provide direct access to scientific papers, I can recommend a few papers that discuss the relationship between water homeostasis and bile acid metabolism. These papers cover various aspects of the topic, including bile acid signaling pathways, electrolyte balance, and the implications of these processes in health and disease. Please note that the publication dates are prior to my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, so more recent findings might be available.
  1. Hofmann, A. F. (1999). Bile acids: the good, the bad, and the ugly. News in Physiological Sciences, 14(1), 24-29. Link: [Equity in health, between ethics and economy] - PubMed
This review article highlights the diverse physiological functions of bile acids and their potential roles in health and disease, including their influence on water and electrolyte transport in the intestines.
  1. Dawson, P. A., & Karpen, S. J. (2015). Intestinal transport and metabolism of bile acids. Journal of Lipid Research, 56(6), 1085-1099. Link: https://www.jlr.org/article/S0022-2275(20)31553-6/fulltext
This review discusses the mechanisms of bile acid transport and metabolism in the intestines, emphasizing the role of bile acids in maintaining intestinal fluid and electrolyte balance.
  1. Ridlon, J. M., Kang, D. J., Hylemon, P. B., & Bajaj, J. S. (2014). Bile acids and the gut microbiome. Current Opinion in Gastroenterology, 30(3), 332-338. Link: Bile acids and the gut microbiome - PubMed
This paper explores the relationship between bile acids and the gut microbiome, including the potential effects on intestinal water and electrolyte transport and the implications for gastrointestinal health.
  1. Hylemon, P. B., Zhou, H., Pandak, W. M., Ren, S., Gil, G., & Dent, P. (2009). Bile acids as regulatory molecules. Journal of Lipid Research, 50(8), 1509-1520. Link: https://www.jlr.org/article/S0022-2275(20)30246-3/fulltext
This review article provides an overview of the diverse signaling pathways and physiological functions of bile acids, including their impact on water and electrolyte transport and balance in the body.
To access the full articles, you may need a subscription to the respective journals or access through an academic institution. Alternatively, you can search for these articles on platforms like PubMed, ResearchGate, or Google Scholar and check if there are any freely available versions.

LLight

@Laurence

Thanks a lot for taking the time to ask GPT4 these questions (and correcting my english errors) :):

This is quite impressive even if we are being accustomed to seeing such results now. Indeed this time, articles really exist even if there is an issue with some links.

I think GPT4 could be used as a research assistant, especially for students. I wonder if it could formulate hypotheses or extract relationships between fields that hasn't been found yet (I have the impression that if you do not direct its attention towards what you want exactly, it won't go there alone, and otherwise it will exclusively tell you the maintream discourse). I've seen someone on HN hypothesizing that "hallucinations" could be something akin to creativity, as he had seen that the content of one of the articles GPT4 had invented was not an idea totally without worth.

I'm afraid soon bots will ruin the internet (at least massive social networks) and will help governments breaking privacy (by identifying people's expression more accurately maybe) and controlling what is being said even more than they are already are.

Drareg

This one is quite interesting, It does seem to be all about prompts, below is an example of a pre prompt, easier for those who don't want to think, I would like to access a more open source AI, essentially non microsoft, they will store all prompts and use them against us -

Drareg

Is this ready to go for an average user or still in test mode, can pay and sign up?

Summer

There are so many people using chat gpt now. I honestly don't like where this is going and can't help but think we are coming upon the end of an era - life before AI invaded and manipulated every facet of society.

ThinPicking

There are so many people using chat gpt now. I honestly don't like where this is going and can't help but think we are coming upon the end of an era - life before AI invaded and manipulated every facet of society.
I know the feeling but it'll be ok. There's a way in you and all others to make light of it. Plenty of people were feeling this way in 1993, 2004, 2007 and beyond.

I'm finding it's a good conversational frame to point out a number of glaring logical fallacies among the proponents and the fearful. For example, what is its "environmental footprint", what's the "environmental footprint" of the entire semiconductor industry, why does the "environmental footprint" of these things get a pass, where is the power concentrated, by what (legal) mechanisms is it concentrated, what is "progress", what really matters for human beings to actualise their lives, etc.

It's good to talk... assuming we're using the heart.

ThinPicking

A couple of OSS projects here to assist the technically minded (anyone can do this really, it's a confidence trick) in demystifying what's going on here without much effort. Once you have your own you can poke, break and twist the models. Just because 🤷‍♂️

Summer

I know the feeling but it'll be ok. There's a way in you and all others to make light of it. Plenty of people were feeling this way in 1993, 2004, 2007 and beyond.

I'm finding it's a good conversational frame to point out a number of glaring logical fallacies among the proponents and the fearful. For example, what is its "environmental footprint", what's the "environmental footprint" of the entire semiconductor industry, why does the "environmental footprint" of these things get a pass, where is the power concentrated, by what (legal) mechanisms is it concentrated, what is "progress", what really matters for human beings to actualise their lives, etc.

It's good to talk... assuming we're using the heart.
All good questions but I’m not sure the general populace cares about any of it. It’s their willingness to embrace it as “the future” that is so off-putting to me. No hesitation. Ask it a question and many people will accept its answer as gospel. It’s gonna get to a point where AI is performing everyday tasks and people will be all too willing to let it happen for the sake of immediate convenience, not realizing 1) they’re intentionally being made obsolete in an increasingly technocratic civilization and 2) the potential for things to rapidly spiral out of control. Look up “I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream” as one potential scenario.

ThinPicking

All good questions but I’m not sure the general populace cares about any of it.
While that seems logical, the reality is none of us can have a conversation with the "general populace" in real life. If we're not talking (don't forget the heart), we're descending.

I'd think it ironic to say this if it wasn't a "post".

ThinPicking

Look up “I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream” as one potential scenario.
Just coming back to comment on this in particular having looked it up. @Summer I'm not trying to change your view on this, you're free to take whatever view you like. I'm just here to offer a hand on the subject where I can find the time, to you or anyone else who might stumble on this.

From a technical perspective I really don't think there's "potential" for this "scenario" at all. What marketeers, public relations officers and story writers are calling "artificial intelligence" right now is just various forms of model based statistical inferencing. There's practically no proof that it bears any relation to human cognition, certainly not a grander extension of it and far more proof that it doesn't at all. I've been cruder about this before but it's important for me to try not to be.

All it can do is imitate an aggregate of its input dataset by brute force computation and "learn" to appear coherent by our confirmation of its mistakes. And while parts of that input dataset are the expressions of "consciousness" and of "self" "awareness", a machine is only going to imitate that expression and not the existing forms from which it currently arises. It may be capable of deceiving you if you let it, but it's never going to act of its own accord. It will imitate what it's told to imitate, it will act in a way it's told to act. And it will make mistakes in doing so that won't go unnoticed by some of us no matter how "refined" it becomes or how much computing machinery is thrown behind it.

There's a long road that's led to this place but the common perception of a "leap" is being driven by three primary factors in my opinion. The semiconductor and surrounding market developments driven by the cryptography drive (think cryptocurrency, the promotion of which has served multiple ends), the "chip shortage" as a hangout for the redirection of fabrication resources and a herculean open source development effort driven by tool refinements, availability, pure hype and speculation.

All that said. The simple belief in lieu of truth of that scenarios like this are possible at all is as if not more dangerous than the possibility itself. There are people of our kind who've chosen to live by their machiavellian and oligarchical perspectives. They need us at every turn to build the things they think they need to be "free", to write-down our numbers and bind the remainder in chains. They can't win but they can do a lot of damage in trying. And here we are.

TL;DR, AI is a psyop and you are the singularity. The more we use our hearts right now the brighter we're going to shine against the dark. It's not comfortable but it's living.

ThinPicking

😦 Ok, things are getting very interesting now. Anyone who's curious, take a look at this.

Remember this isn't hocus pocus. And it isn't doing what you're doing.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals