Peating Means You Have To Replace EVERYTHING

TheBeard

The more I read and hear about health, the more I understand how everything is deeply interconnected, to the point where you can't keep track of all interactions unless you are Georgi Dinkov or Peat himself.
It is just inhumanely complex.

For example:

Antibiotics alter bile composition. Not directly, but some bacteria are responsible for producing enzymes that will turn primarily bile acids into secondary bile acids.

If we follow Peat's recommendation to keep a relatively sterile gut in order to limit the harm of endotoxins, how are we supposed to have our bile system work efficiently. We have to supplement bile?
Same goes for stomach acid: it isn't properly produced without the right bacteria and enough bile signaling.

Same goes for androgens: their production by the Leydig cells is dependent on other bacteria:
The Gut Microbiota and Developmental Programming of the Testis in Mice

Sounds to me like once you pull the trigger on a few supplements or medication, you are doomed to replace everything else as the natural cycle is broken.

Help I guess?

mrchibbs

I think any talk of a "natural cycle" is sort of a strawman argument, because we're virtually living in a mass experiment with the fundamental transformations of modern environments. If we were living in a natural setting with exposure to daylight, social relationships, unaldurated foods, no EMF etc. we wouldn't need to implement these interventions like cyproheptadine, thyroid cascara, exogenous vitamin D etc.

I don't think we're doomed to replace everything. I think we have to be constantly trying to improve our immediate environment, and using adaptogens like aspirin, red light and yes, antibiotics as crutches to compensate for the inaquacies of our surroundings.

TheBeard

I think any talk of a "natural cycle" is sort of a strawman argument, because we're virtually living in a mass experiment with the fundamental transformations of modern environments. If we were living in a natural setting with exposure to daylight, social relationships, unaldurated foods, no EMF etc. we wouldn't need to implement these interventions like cyproheptadine, thyroid cascara, exogenous vitamin D etc.

I don't think we're doomed to replace everything. I think we have to be constantly trying to improve our immediate environment, and using adaptogens like aspirin, red light and yes, antibiotics as crutches to compensate for the inaquacies of our surroundings.

I'm not against replacing, I know nature is far behind us at that point and it's a no return point.

I'm happy replacing what I know needs replacement.

However it seems we are triggering an endless cascade we don't even know about, and we don't master how many parameters we need to replace.

In my case it caused long lasting depression for 4 years before I figured I had SIBO and bile deficiency.
I'm wondering what else I'll find out a few years from now...

opson123

I agree with TheBeard. It's difficult to get things right. Instead of the desired balanced loop you get an endless flow leading to nowhere. You can initially feel like you're going in the right direction, but if your last and first variable never connect, you'll never reach a state of balance.

ursidae

yeah it’s a wild goose chase where you have to put a patch on top of a patch on top of a patch and if you’re really competent you can shift the symptoms in the direction that you find most acceptable, like maybe having a little bit of a stutter or needing a thick pair of glasses

I think your best bet at real recovery is placing yourself in a perfect environment, only giving your body its own constituents to work with, and maybe it will reorganise and rebalance

Last edited:

Tarmander

If you come to a place where you are replacing everything, you are in the same rabbit hole as mainstream medicine, i.e cut out and replace. We can see the results of long term allopathic medicine

Peat's advice about the microbiome is simplistic

He treats all bacteria as having endotoxin

Firmicutes are not gram negative and have no endotoxin. If you skew your ratio of firmicutes to bacteroidetes towards firmicutes, you can have both healthy gut bacteria as well as low endotoxin.

TheBeard

Peat's advice about the microbiome is simplistic

He treats all bacteria as having endotoxin

Which makes the consequences of sterilizing the gut anything but simple, as exposed in my first post of this thread.