Niacin Increases Steroidgenic Acute Regulatory Protein?

Douglas Ek

So we know niacin has an cholesterol lowering effects. I curiously googled if this effect was related to the STAR protein the main protein synthesizing testosterone from cholesterol. This is what i found

Cholesterol efflux and the effect of combined treatment with niacin and chromium on aorta of hyperlipidemic rat. - PubMed - NCBI

"In conclusion, this study reveals that combined treatment with niacin and chromium prevents the morphological and biochemical changes observed in thoracic aorta of hyperlipidemic rats, and may regulate effectively cardiovascular diseases inducing an increase in StAR levels on endothelial cells."

So in the study they used a combination with chromium but i believe that the effect probably comes from niacin since its been shown to affect cholesterol heavily previously.

Jpkoepse

Could someone elaborate on the role STAR protein has in regards to cardiac health?

Last edited:

artist

Niacinamide doesn’t lower cholesterol, I wonder if it has any of these same benefits? It seems like it has pro-steroid effects based on the study where it restored fertility to menopausal women. I am worried about taking niacin due to the histamine issues

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals