New Study Finds Old People Are Liars

New Study Of Aging Finds Old People Are Liars

According to a new working paper by researchers at the Biological Data Science Institute at Australian National University, "supercentenarians" - those over 110-years-old, have a habit of bullshitting about their age.

The conclusion - yet to undergo peer review - was reached by ANU scientist Saul Justin Newman after a thorough examination of birth records in various states which began reliably keeping them yielded a 69% - 82% drop in the number of supercentenarians.

Perhaps very old people in crime-ridden areas that historically respect the elderly are able to avoid violence?

Newman disagrees. "Remarkable age attainment is predicted by indicators of error and fraud," and does not correlate to access to medical care or clusters of healthy old people. "As a result, these findings raise serious questions about the validity of an extensive body of research based on the remarkable reported ages of populations and individuals."

Never again can we trust old ladies on the news who say they lived to 113 by drinking a gallon of whiskey and smoking a pack of menthols every day.

Herbie

Ray mentioned old Parr from England for his old age 152 but when I reasearcued old Parr, It was found that he used his grandfathers birth certificate and the autopsy found that he would be less than 70 by the condition of his organs.

OP
ecstatichamster
these findings raise serious questions about the validity of an extensive body of research based on the remarkable reported ages of populations and individuals."

wow, very damning indeed.

tankasnowgod

New Study Of Aging Finds Old People Are Liars

According to a new working paper by researchers at the Biological Data Science Institute at Australian National University, "supercentenarians" - those over 110-years-old, have a habit of bullshitting about their age.

The conclusion - yet to undergo peer review - was reached by ANU scientist Saul Justin Newman after a thorough examination of birth records in various states which began reliably keeping them yielded a 69% - 82% drop in the number of supercentenarians.

Perhaps very old people in crime-ridden areas that historically respect the elderly are able to avoid violence?

Newman disagrees. "Remarkable age attainment is predicted by indicators of error and fraud," and does not correlate to access to medical care or clusters of healthy old people. "As a result, these findings raise serious questions about the validity of an extensive body of research based on the remarkable reported ages of populations and individuals."

Never again can we trust old ladies on the news who say they lived to 113 by drinking a gallon of whiskey and smoking a pack of menthols every day.

That study and it's conclusions don't seem very well grounded, to me. The logic seems to be along the lines of "It's a proven fact that no 100 year olds were born after 1920, therefore, no 100 year olds exist." Which, of course, doesn't take into account the fact that 100 years haven't yet passed since 1920.

Bottom line, it's always going to be hard to prove someone's age the older they get (or claim to be). Records get lost and destroyed, and often they weren't accurate in the first place. States and state governments also have an agenda, and are perfectly willing to lie or deceive if it fits in with their goals. Even today, the system that has been put in place to track people can be gamed, and gamed pretty easily if you know about some of the flaws.

That's what I always suspected.

yerrag

I was going to say this can't happen in the US, but then I thought about the people who use the social security numbers of dead people and use their identity. Their identity would really be old if the identity used was already old and the perp is young.

mrchibbs

The thread title is awesome. The study, not so much.

In my neck of the woods, we have accurate birth records (thanks to the Catholic Church!) going back 200 years or more. It's pretty tough to be a fake centenarian.

The thread title is awesome. The study, not so much.

In my neck of the woods, we have accurate birth records (thanks to the Catholic Church!) going back 200 years or more. It's pretty tough to be a fake centenarian.

Not that tough, just need to be conspired with the church.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Just as a side note, Dr. T.C. McDaniel lived to almost 102 years of age, attributed to the consumption of Zeta Aid, which strengthens the colloidal system of the blood. I take it every day for my mild arrhythmia.

Dr. TC McDaniel Zeta Aid Welcome

From Zeta Potential Users Review
"He and his two sisters, ages 97 and 81, are all healthy, alert and do not have cardiovascular problems, except the doctor still has a damaged heart.

The remaining 5 members of his family, who did not follow this protocol, are deceased, two having died from complications of cardiovascular conditions, and alzheimers or have been beggared by medical expenses.

He's alive today at age 93." (Was posted in 2009)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals