"Natural Aspirin" Used Prehistorically

sladerunner69

Was it Bayer brand aspirin, or just generic from the convenience store?

I'm wondering if they had a oreference back then too, because I've always been partial to the brand name product.

OP
Peata

Peata

Sumer's Finest. Guaranteed relief or your barley back.

MommaBear

A lot of plants have salicylates (aspirin) in them

DaveFoster

How can it contain salicylic acid? Salicin is what's in willow bark. Native Americans must have had a few chemists.

LeeLemonoil

Speaking of which, has someone tried essential oils of wintergreen or birch, containing methy-salicylate. I wonder if inhaling those EOs would
transport methyl-salicylate into the brain, maybe helping treat inflammatory brain diseases?

LeeLemonoil

UPDATE: on I still have to do some research on the absorption through the skin. If I find that Sweet Birch or Wintergreen oil can produce the same results, I may opt for that route instead of 'eating' aspirin. But I will need to do research first.

Just want to make sure that Methyl Salicylate would still have the same effects as acetylsalicylic acid.
If I find out I'll let folks know.
FINDINGS:
NOPE cannot substitute Wintergreen or Sweet Birch oils for Good ol' Aspirin.

Both of those oils contain 98% methyl salicylate that metabolizes/ breaks down in the body as Methanol and Salicylic acid.
Salicylic acid isn't the biggest problem but the Methanol is Highly toxic according to Wikipedia as it changes form in the body to formic acid then formaldehyde and well, we all know that is nasty.

~ Penny

Thats a quote from another, older thread. I think the poster is wrong that methylsalicylate degrades to methanol in the body. Methanol is used in commercial synthesis of methysalicylate though.

I find essentila oils have astonishing properties, especially that most components can easily cross many tissues and the BBB.
Thee properties of Coriander EO for example:

Inhalation of coriander volatile oil increased anxiolytic-antidepressant-like behaviors and decreased oxidative status in beta-amyloid (1-42) rat m... - PubMed - NCBI
Cognitive-enhancing and antioxidant activities of inhaled coriander volatile oil in amyloid β(1-42) rat model of Alzheimer's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

inhalation of only a 1-3% solution works directly in the hippocampus! An adjuvant in alzheimer's, antioxodant in the brain, anti-anxiety and anti-depressive.
I thinl methylsalicylate is very promising to work in a similar manner, maybe adding anti-inflammatory properties directly in brain-tissues.

amethyst

Very interesting article Peata. Thanks for posting it :)

Thats a quote from another, older thread. I think the poster is wrong that methylsalicylate degrades to methanol in the body. Methanol is used in commercial synthesis of methysalicylate though.

I find essentila oils have astonishing properties, especially that most components can easily cross many tissues and the BBB.
Thee properties of Coriander EO for example:

Inhalation of coriander volatile oil increased anxiolytic-antidepressant-like behaviors and decreased oxidative status in beta-amyloid (1-42) rat m... - PubMed - NCBI
Cognitive-enhancing and antioxidant activities of inhaled coriander volatile oil in amyloid β(1-42) rat model of Alzheimer's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

inhalation of only a 1-3% solution works directly in the hippocampus! An adjuvant in alzheimer's, antioxodant in the brain, anti-anxiety and anti-depressive.
I thinl methylsalicylate is very promising to work in a similar manner, maybe adding anti-inflammatory properties directly in brain-tissues.
Essential oils are amazing. The essential oils in the common product Vick's Vapor rub works to decongest your nose if it's stuffy. It helps clear the stuffiness. I use oil of peppermint to keep mice away in a shed outside my house. Works like a charm.The little critters HATE that stuff!

amethyst

An aspirin applied directly to a pimple or bump works. So if someone has an acne issue, either taking aspirin internally or crushing some aspirin tablets (not the hard coated kind) and mixing it into a paste, and coating the area with it, will work to alleviate the inflammation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals