Aspirin Safe And Effective For Prevention AND Treatment Of Migraine

haidut

Forum Supporter
A human study, which dispels the myths that migraine is yet another "mysterious" disease with an unknown cause and no effective treatment. Considering the role of serotonin in migraines, it adds to the evidence that aspirin is a potent anti-serotonin agent in higher doses. The good news is that even lower doses in the 81mg - 325mg range were beneficial but for prevention instead of treatment. For the treatment, daily doses in the 900mg - 1,300mg were needed. And why haven't we heard about these amazing effects of aspirin yet, which have been known for decades? The very authors of the study say the reason is that aspirin is cheap, safe, effective, and over-the-counter. Apparently, only expensive, dangerous, prescription-based, ineffective poisons catch the attention of mainstream media, pharma companies, and (sadly) the general public.

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(19)30966-0/fulltext
Got a migraine? Relief may already be on your medicine shelf

"...Philadelphia, December 3, 2019 - According to a new report in The American Journal of Medicine, published by Elsevier, aspirin can be considered an effective and safe option to other, more expensive medications to treat acute migraines as well as prevent recurrent attacks. A review of randomized evidence suggests efficacy and safety of high dose aspirin in doses from 900 to 1,300 milligrams taken at the onset of acute symptoms. The data also support a lower dose of from 81 to 325 milligrams as a possible preventive option. "Aspirin provides a possible clinical option for primary healthcare providers to relieve the debilitating symptoms of acute migraine headaches and prevent recurrent attacks. Aspirin's side effect profile and low cost may also favour its use," noted senior author Charles H. Hennekens, MD, DrPH, the first Sir Richard Doll Professor & Senior Academic Advisor to the Dean of the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL, USA. The investigators reviewed the randomized evidence for high dose aspirin in treatment and low dose aspirin in prevention of migraine headaches."

"...Professor Hennekens mused that, "If aspirin were only half as effective, 10 times more expensive, and available by prescription, then perhaps patients and, possibly some of their healthcare providers, would take it more seriously."

kaybb

A human study, which dispels the myths that migraine is yet another "mysterious" disease with an unknown cause and no effective treatment. Considering the role of serotonin in migraines, it adds to the evidence that aspirin is a potent anti-serotonin agent in higher doses. The good news is that even lower doses in the 81mg - 325mg range were beneficial but for prevention instead of treatment. For the treatment, daily doses in the 900mg - 1,300mg were needed. And why haven't we heard about these amazing effects of aspirin yet, which have been known for decades? The very authors of the study say the reason is that aspirin is cheap, safe, effective, and over-the-counter. Apparently, only expensive, dangerous, prescription-based, ineffective poisons catch the attention of mainstream media, pharma companies, and (sadly) the general public.

"...Philadelphia, December 3, 2019 - According to a new report in The American Journal of Medicine, published by Elsevier, aspirin can be considered an effective and safe option to other, more expensive medications to treat acute migraines as well as prevent recurrent attacks. A review of randomized evidence suggests efficacy and safety of high dose aspirin in doses from 900 to 1,300 milligrams taken at the onset of acute symptoms. The data also support a lower dose of from 81 to 325 milligrams as a possible preventive option. "Aspirin provides a possible clinical option for primary healthcare providers to relieve the debilitating symptoms of acute migraine headaches and prevent recurrent attacks. Aspirin's side effect profile and low cost may also favour its use," noted senior author Charles H. Hennekens, MD, DrPH, the first Sir Richard Doll Professor & Senior Academic Advisor to the Dean of the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL, USA. The investigators reviewed the randomized evidence for high dose aspirin in treatment and low dose aspirin in prevention of migraine headaches."

"...Professor Hennekens mused that, "If aspirin were only half as effective, 10 times more expensive, and available by prescription, then perhaps patients and, possibly some of their healthcare providers, would take it more seriously."
My neurologist has warned of the “re-bound migraine” aspirin. Maybe a small daily dose takes away that risk.

milkboi

How does Aspirin's effect on serotonin (let's say with a 1 gram dose) compare to Cyproheptadine?

Gone Peating

Only thing that used to work for my migraines as a child was excedrin (aspirin, caffeine, acetaminophin)

I wish I had known how bad acetaminophin was to be taken long term... but oh well

Inaut

I find I do better with a half tab at a time. No GI problems and i feel good after it.

kaybb

Does Hennekens talk about having rebound migraines for taking aspirin everyday. My neurologist warned me.

Constatine

I can attest to this. I've had migraines all my life and aspirin has always been the one thing that just stopped it in its tracks.

vanessad

How much a day is safe. I just stared 325mg. Feel fine with that dose. My prolactin is at 98. I’m on Cabergoline but want to stop taking it because it can cause fibrosis. Can aspirin be a replacement for Cabergoline? Ty so so much for sharing your wisdom! Also, is Tocovit vitamin E?

SuperStressed

10 minutes ago I had a severe migraine from lack of sleep, saw this thread, 3 Aspirin tablets and 10 minutes later its already mostly gone.
That's quicker than Ibuprofen which also works but is toxic.

Smitty

On Friday I experienced a migraine after being free of them for over a year. I’ve been hospitalized in the past for hemiparesis migraines and they would often last 24+ hours. This time around, the migraine disintegrated in roughly 3 hours. My stack was:

3 Aspirin tabs
~30mg progesterone
500mg magnesium malate
10 drops of Energin

I hadn’t seen this post prior, and there’s no way of knowing if it was the synergy or a single substance that rid the migraine but aspirin is a mighty effective Swiss Army knife.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals