Looking For Advice Regarding Methotrexate And Ototoxicity

MistyH

My 35 year old daughter was treated with methotrexate for an ectopic pregnancy about 3 months ago. She is now suffering from tinnitus and an audiologist said she shows hearing loss. This all came on post treatment so she and I are convinced this is truly a side effect of the drug as noted in side effects to look for. The audiologist is arguing time frame.

Supplements mentioned that she's considering include melatonin, zinc, manganese and B, with emphasis on B12.

We're working on her estrogen because she is clearly ED with several other symptoms. Varicose veins, obesity, Plantar Fascitis, a TSH of 11 previously with no treatment (working on that now without Physician's help, daughter has Kaiser and is quite passive)

Any help and advice is very much appreciated.

Let Go

Possibly Otosclerosis? Fairly common after pregnancy. If she has a low frequency loss or a conductive loss that's more than likely the case. If she has a high frequency sensorineural loss than possibly the
methotrexate.
She could have already had a mild sensorineural loss and the stress of the situation has made it worse

Let Go

No problem, if you can post a copy or PM me I can at least tell you what type of loss and maybe where to start.
Has she seen an ENT or an Otolaryngologist or just an Audiologist?

OP
MistyH

MistyH

No problem, if you can post a copy or PM me I can at least tell you what type of loss and maybe where to start.

I believe just an audiologist at this point. She just e-mailed Kaiser for her records.

Trix

My 35 year old daughter was treated with methotrexate for an ectopic pregnancy about 3 months ago. She is now suffering from tinnitus and an audiologist said she shows hearing loss. This all came on post treatment so she and I are convinced this is truly a side effect of the drug as noted in side effects to look for. The audiologist is arguing time frame.

Supplements mentioned that she's considering include melatonin, zinc, manganese and B, with emphasis on B12.

We're working on her estrogen because she is clearly ED with several other symptoms. Varicose veins, obesity, Plantar Fascitis, a TSH of 11 previously with no treatment (working on that now without Physician's help, daughter has Kaiser and is quite passive)

Any help and advice is very much appreciated.

Methotrexate depletes Folate, but I would also look into B1 (allithiamine), which I've read helps with hearing loss by increasing oxygen to the ear area. Consider B2 (R-5-P) and B6 (P-5-P). If you get a B Complex supplement, get one that have the activated vitamins, that goes for B12 too.

OP
MistyH

MistyH

Methotrexate depletes Folate, but I would also look into B1 (allithiamine), which I've read helps with hearing loss by increasing oxygen to the ear area. Consider B2 (R-5-P) and B6 (P-5-P). If you get a B Complex supplement, get one that have the activated vitamins, that goes for B12 too.

Thank you. I've had her taking desiccated liver for her B vitamins.

OP
MistyH

MistyH

Thank you for your offer. I just sent you the report

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals