Is it possible to counteract negative effects from injectable anti-psychotic medication?

Connor888

(sorry for all the duplicate posts im posting from my phone and it went wrong)
Hi everyone
Unfortunately around 8 weeks ago I developed a psychosis that lasted a couple of weeks. I got admitted to a mental health facility and put on 15-20mg of Aripiprazole in tablet form. If that wasn't bad enough, in a few weeks they're telling me I'll have to be put on a once monthly muscular injection in the deltoid(of Aripiprazole) instead of tablets, and I am extremely nervous about this because I know there is a high likelihood I am going to experience some degree of negative effect from this. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice here because this is a first for me.

I've gone my whole life without anti-psychotic medication and I know I can live fine without it minus this recent episode. However, the choice is not mine to make and I don't really have a say in the matter. Is there any way I can supplement my way out of this? The only thing I could think of was to take St John's Wort since it interacts with pretty much every medication but I would be a little worried about Serotonin syndrome... And I'm not sure if it would even be safe to take alongside the Aripiprazole. The interaction could be dangerous for all I know.

Sorry for the long post but I am really stuck with this. Thank you in advance. Any discussion is welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

Peatress

Peter Breggin might be a good place to start

You could email him here

The drug you are taking is really not bad, from first sight. It is a serotonin antagonist and dopamine agonist - it has been shown to reduce prolactin, which show's it increases the dopaminergic tone of the patient. The serotonin reptake inhibihition and the 5-HT2c agonism, is problematic, maybe some cypropheptadine will help. But you could of been put on ALOT worse medication, this is some what good luck, that your medicine is relatively benine compared to others.

Just look up the drug, on the forum ; I found this interesting post:

OP
Connor888

Connor888

The drug you are taking is really not bad, from first sight. It is a serotonin antagonist and dopamine agonist - it has been shown to reduce prolactin, which show's it increases the dopaminergic tone of the patient. The serotonin reptake inhibihition and the 5-HT2c agonism, is problematic, maybe some cypropheptadine will help. But you could of been put on ALOT worse medication, this is some what good luck, that your medicine is relatively benine compared to others.

Just look up the drug, on the forum ; I found this interesting post:
Thanks - that makes me feel a little better.

Do you think the st John's wort could be a good idea though? @learnedhelpless I'm wondering if it could deactivate the Aripiprazole completely.

Thanks - that makes me feel a little better.

Do you think the st John's wort could be a good idea though? @learnedhelpless I'm wondering if it could deactivate the Aripiprazole completely.

St John Wort increases one of the enzyme ( CYP3A4 ) that metabolises / destroys your medication, so the monthly dose may not be as effective as long.

Peatress

It might be worth finding out the ingredient list of your medication, this should help you decide if it's risky or not and what you can do to mitigate the potential damage

ABILIFY Injection is available in single-dose vials as a ready-to-use, 9.75 mg/1.3 mL (7.5 mg/mL) clear, colorless, sterile, aqueous solution for intramuscular use only. Inactive ingredients for this solution include 199.5 mg of sulfobutylether β-cyclodextrin (SBECD), 10.4 mg of tartaric acid, q.s. to pH 4.3 of sodium hydroxide, and q.s. to 1.33 mL of water for injection.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

St John Wort increases one of the enzyme ( CYP3A4 ) that metabolises / destroys your medication, so the monthly dose may not be as effective as long.
To be honest I do not want to be on the medication at all. @learnedhelpless . How much st John's wort would one need to take to counter the Aripiprazole significantly ? Thanks for the info mate.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

It might be worth finding out the ingredient list of your medication, this should help you decide if it's risky or not and what you can do to mitigate the potential damage

ABILIFY Injection is available in single-dose vials as a ready-to-use, 9.75 mg/1.3 mL (7.5 mg/mL) clear, colorless, sterile, aqueous solution for intramuscular use only. Inactive ingredients for this solution include 199.5 mg of sulfobutylether β-cyclodextrin (SBECD), 10.4 mg of tartaric acid, q.s. to pH 4.3 of sodium hydroxide, and q.s. to 1.33 mL of water for injection.

Thanks Peatress

Peatress

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals