Importance Of Diet To Prolong Life & Quality Of Health - Bernd Friedlander (April 2017)

Djukami

Has anyone seen this talk?
I would say that Bernd Friedlander just rePeats most what Ray Peat says.

But I want to ask you something regarding CO2 that I couldn't comprehend. On the minute 37:40, he teaches a breathing technique that I've never heard to increase CO2 in the body.
As I see it, it seems that we are actually increasing O2 levels. I mean, inhaling O2 and then blowing out all the CO2, how does it increase our CO2? Could anyone explain how this actually works in our body?
I must say that I like the technique though.

tara

But I want to ask you something regarding CO2 that I couldn't comprehend. On the minute 37:40, he teaches a breathing technique that I've never heard to increase CO2 in the body.
I don't think it would for most people. I guess if someone were hyperventilating even more than that, it could slow it down to retain a little more.

He also said high altitude atmosphere has lower oxygen and higher CO2, and I don't think that is accurate either. AIUI, high altitude has less dense atmosphere, that is less but the same proportions of all the gases, including both O2 and CO2. The effect on the person breathing it, if they are adapted to it, can be to raise CO2 levels. (Not sure whether it does that before one is adapted.)

Herbie

He also said high altitude atmosphere has lower oxygen and higher CO2, and I don't think that is accurate either. AIUI, high altitude has less dense atmosphere, that is less but the same proportions of all the gases, including both O2 and CO2. The effect on the person breathing it, if they are adapted to it, can be to raise CO2 levels. (Not sure whether it does that before one is adapted.)

I think your right about the altitude Tara.

CO2 levels in Mexico city which had an average of 421ppm in 2005 at 7,382 ft/2,250m altitude.

I found the CO2 levels at Cape Grim at sea level in Tasmania, Australia are 401ppm of co2 as of April 2017 and similar levels in Hawaii.

OP
D

Djukami

So you both think that this technique can actually not increase CO2 in the body?

When I do it, I feel some kind of goose bumps. It indeed relaxes me, I must say.
But then I feel like I don't want to breathe 'normally', this is, I want to inspire less air (like when I hyperventilate on purpose). As I see it, it seems my body is full of O2 and involuntarily doesn't want to breath more. On the other hand, the opposite happens when I do bag breathing: my breathing rate starts to accelerate because my body really wants to pull more O2 to the body.

But I have noticed that if I have a clogged nostril, after doing the technique he recommends, it immediately opens. Which suggests I have more CO2 in the body...
Dang it, I am so confused.

Herbie

The bag breathing increases co2 in the body if you breath in the nose and out the mouth with the bag over the face (covering nose and mouth). And trying to breath at an unconscious rate and not breathing faster or deeper then you would while relaxed when bag breathing will make it more effective. If I'm just sitting around I do not breath much naturally (hypo-ventilating) which is keeping co2 higher in the body by not breathing it out as far as I am aware.

The air which is being exhaled into the bag has higher concentration of co2 than regular air and then inhaling that air through the nose will bring more co2 into the lungs.

I think bag breathing and inhaling through the mouth is going to still be breathing in too much oxygen and all air should be inhaled through the nose at all times unless performing intense physical exertion.

If a human is hyper-ventilating I will assume they are breathing through the mouth only which depletes co2 from the body which isn't good and is why people breath into a brown paper bag to calm down from hyperventilating because it balances out the co2 and o2.

The problem with breathing through the mouth and not the nose while at what should be a relaxed state like sleeping or sitting around is that a human inhales up to 5 times more oxygen through the mouth than through the nose which brings in too much oxygen saturation and causes problems. Refer oxygenation and deoxygenation of haemoglobin from lungs to muscles. (From high school science)

Sometimes asthma attacks are because the airways constrict as a response to having too much oxygen saturation and is a mechanism to stop the person from breathing in more oxygen because the body is becoming toxic and the problem is when peoples air ways constrict they go into a stressed state and try and mouth breath in more air and hyperventilating and need the puffer to open up the airways for them so they can calm down but its not addressing the root cause which is possibly low co2 levels. (learnt this at first aid course)

Refer Ray Peats work to further understand the role of co2 and 02 in the body.

Last edited:

superhuman

The bag breathing increases co2 in the body if you breath in the nose and out the mouth with the bag over the face (covering nose and mouth). And trying to breath at an unconscious rate and not breathing faster or deeper then you would while relaxed when bag breathing will make it more effective. If I'm just sitting around I do not breath much naturally (hypo-ventilating) which is keeping co2 higher in the body by not breathing it out as far as I am aware.

The air which is being exhaled into the bag has higher concentration of co2 than regular air and then inhaling that air through the nose will bring more co2 into the lungs.

I think bag breathing and inhaling through the mouth is going to still be breathing in too much oxygen and all air should be inhaled through the nose at all times unless performing intense physical exertion.

If a human is hyper-ventilating I will assume they are breathing through the mouth only which depletes co2 from the body which isn't good and is why people breath into a brown paper bag to calm down from hyperventilating because it balances out the co2 and o2.

The problem with breathing through the mouth and not the nose while at what should be a relaxed state like sleeping or sitting around is that a human inhales up to 5 times more oxygen through the mouth than through the nose which brings in too much oxygen saturation and causes problems. Refer oxygenation and deoxygenation of haemoglobin from lungs to muscles. (From high school science)

Sometimes asthma attacks are because the airways constrict as a response to having too much oxygen saturation and is a mechanism to stop the person from breathing in more oxygen because the body is becoming toxic and the problem is when peoples air ways constrict they go into a stressed state and try and mouth breath in more air and hyperventilating and need the puffer to open up the airways for them so they can calm down but its not addressing the root cause which is possibly low co2 levels. (learnt this at first aid course)

Refer Ray Peats work to further understand the role of co2 and 02 in the body.

Hmm interesting about the bag breathing. When i do it i just breath through mouth mainly and some nose, but i cover both. Im gonna try your approach for sure. What about breathing in and out through nose? since that is what you do when you breath normally

superhuman

He also said taking 1000 mg niacinamide a day divided in 3 doses will do all those wonderfull things in terms of NAD+ and all that. That seems like a high amount compared to what ray peat talks about?

Im also conderned about the fat loss stopping of that high amount of niacinamide

superhuman

He has a lot of Ray Peat information so its cool but jeezus when he talks about what he eats in terms of amount. He is eating so little, like 1000 kcals or something. So he is for sure in the caloric restriction crows

OP
D

Djukami

He has a lot of Ray Peat information so its cool but jeezus when he talks about what he eats in terms of amount. He is eating so little, like 1000 kcals or something. So he is for sure in the caloric restriction crows
Where does he say that? I may have missed that information. I think he only talked about how much honey he eats and not how much calories.

L

lollipop

What about breathing in and out through nose?
This is the safest and only one I do even with bag breathing (background lots of yoga training for context of why I would even respond to your question).

OP
D

Djukami

i listened to other interviews he did
Oh, nice, I wasn't thinking about that.
I knew :) Wanted to support your intuition to only breathe in and out through the nose.
Lisa, since you seem to have more experience regarding breathing techniques, what do you think about its 'CO2 Breathing'?
I may seem dumb and repetitive here, but I just really want to understand if we are indeed increasing our CO2 levels doing what he says, because I really think we are not.

L

lollipop

Lisa, since you seem to have more experience regarding breathing techniques, what do you think about its 'CO2 Breathing'?
I may seem dumb and repetitive here, but I just really want to understand if we are indeed increasing our CO2 levels doing what he says, because I really think we are not.
Hi @Djukami! Okay watched it for you and I have to admit my first response: "What?!?!?! Makes absolutely no sense."

Maybe someone skilled in Butekyo breathing might give you a more technical response. Seriously from my experience a better CO2 breath would be 4 sec inhale, hold 2-4 sec (never force - do as for capacity), exhale 4 sec, hold 2-4 sec (never force - do as for capacity). This better mimics the bag breathing.

Hope this helps!

OP
D

Djukami

Hi @DjukamiOkay watched it for you and I have to admit my first response: "What?!?!?! Makes absolutely no sense."
Thank you for your answer! Right?! I had the same reaction when I heard it for the first time.
Hi @DjukamiMaybe someone skilled in Butekyo breathing might give you a more technical response. Seriously from my experience a better CO2 breath would be 4 sec inhale, hold 2-4 sec (never force - do as for capacity), exhale 4 sec, hold 2-4 sec (never force - do as for capacity). This better mimics the bag breathing.
Hope this helps!
Exactly, that's the type of breathing technique I use to increase my CO2 levels.
What I was trying to say to @BenjaminBullock was that when I do bag breathing, I really feel my body wanting to pull more air, simply because I am reducing O2 levels to a point where my body can't handle and accelerates my breathing rate (it wants more O2). And, it's not voluntary. I mean, when a person wants to measure his CP, there is a point that your chest starts to contract involuntarily because it wants to breathe. That involuntary contraction makes us breath more rapidly because our body is craving O2. And it makes perfect sense.

Now, on this technique, it really feels that I am throwing out all my CO2. And, again, involuntarily, right after doing it, it feels like my body doesn't want to breath for quite some time, simply because it has too much O2, so it slows down my breathing rate. That's why I suspect this is actually increasing our O2 levels instead of our CO2...

Yeah, I was hoping someone skilled in Buteyko could explain what this technique is actually doing.

Herbie

Thank you for your answer! Right?! I had the same reaction when I heard it for the first time.

Exactly, that's the type of breathing technique I use to increase my CO2 levels.
What I was trying to say to @BenjaminBullock was that when I do bag breathing, I really feel my body wanting to pull more air, simply because I am reducing O2 levels to a point where my body can't handle and accelerates my breathing rate (it wants more O2). And, it's not voluntary. I mean, when a person wants to measure his CP, there is a point that your chest starts to contract involuntarily because it wants to breathe. That involuntary contraction makes us breath more rapidly because our body is craving O2. And it makes perfect sense.

Now, on this technique, it really feels that I am throwing out all my CO2. And, again, involuntarily, right after doing it, it feels like my body doesn't want to breath for quite some time, simply because it has too much O2, so it slows down my breathing rate. That's why I suspect this is actually increasing our O2 levels instead of our CO2...

Yeah, I was hoping someone skilled in Buteyko could explain what this technique is actually doing.

Yeah its fine to breath in and out of nose at a regular pace. I should have mentioned that.

Yeah it makes sense because thats when your reaching the limit of co2 and should stop there before it gets stressful.

I think that happens when your reaching the limit of co2 that you can handle and start drawing in faster and deeper to get more oxygen?

I tried to find the limit to bag breathing and done the bag breathing until it gets uncomfortable then kept going and my breathing would speed up and I would then feel like I'm choking and then dry reach but this is 'stressful' but fun because it I felt high/euphoric after and I'm not recommending anyone try it and its not necessary to increase co2.

Im not familiar with buteyko.

chispas

This guy has read Ray Peat. He's not a great speaker though. He doesn't explain, he just makes utterances.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals