I think potatoes are disgusting

hei

Trying to eat potatoes gives me the "kids/obese woman eating broccoli" reaction, i.e. gagging as soon as a tiny morsel of potato disgraces my tongue. I usually experience indigestion afterwards, and then bad memories of my mother forcing me to devour these revolting cardboardesque lumps at dinner.
Funny thing is I think steamed (but still crisp) broccoli tastes nice enough, as long as I don't try to eat too much at once. It has a certain freshness about it.
Boiled is the worst, followed closely by baked (I suspect that floury potatoes might be better but I can't get them at all), but frying them in forbidden oils magically makes them palatable.

I see lots of posts here about potatoes being almost a wonder-food and it makes me wonder how many others are in my position.

keytothecity

Trying to eat potatoes gives me the "kids/obese woman eating broccoli" reaction, i.e. gagging as soon as a tiny morsel of potato disgraces my tongue. I usually experience indigestion afterwards, and then bad memories of my mother forcing me to devour these revolting cardboardesque lumps at dinner.
Funny thing is I think steamed (but still crisp) broccoli tastes nice enough, as long as I don't try to eat too much at once. It has a certain freshness about it.
Boiled is the worst, followed closely by baked (I suspect that floury potatoes might be better but I can't get them at all), but frying them in forbidden oils magically makes them palatable.

I see lots of posts here about potatoes being almost a wonder-food and it makes me wonder how many others are in my position.
I think preferring fried foods over boiled or steamed ones is a sign of addiction typical for the west and its metabolic decline

tankasnowgod

Then don't eat them.

I don't see a lot of posts calling them a "wonder food," so don't know where you are getting that.

mostlylurking

Potatoes are starch. Starch is to be avoided if possible. Although this is the "Ray Peat Forum" there are people here who have never bothered to actually read a Ray Peat article. They think they are going to benefit from Dr. Peat's wisdom via osmosis just by gabbing on this forum with other people who likewise have not bothered to actually read any Ray Peat articles that are available for FREE online and are searchable with this search engine: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless

Please take note that although Ray Peat's name is a big part of the name of this forum, Dr. Peat does not have anything to do with the forum personally. He's not lurking on the sidelines monitoring the posts and deleting the ones he disagrees with.

Here is some suggested reading: Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context

Ray actually mentions "potato" in this article, as an example of a high starch food that is typical of the disastrous American diet and recommended by the American Dietetic Association. Read carefully; note the quotation marks. I emphasized part of Dr. Peat's writing so you will be less likely to misinterpret what he is saying.

Judging by present and past statements of the American Dietetic Association, I think some kind of institutional brain defect might account for their recommendations. Although the dietetic association now feebly acknowledges that sugars don't raise the blood sugar more quickly than starches do, they can't get away from their absurd old recommendations, which were never scientifically justified: Eat more starches, such as bread, cereal, and starchy vegetables--6 servings a day or more. Start the day with cold (dry) cereal with nonfat/skim milk or a bagel with one teaspoon of jelly/jam. Put starch center stage--pasta with tomato sauce, baked potato with chili, rice and stir-fried beef and vegetables. Add cooked black beans, corn, or garbanzo beans (chickpeas) to salads or casseroles.

ReSTART

Potatoes are starch. Starch is to be avoided if possible. Although this is the "Ray Peat Forum" there are people here who have never bothered to actually read a Ray Peat article. They think they are going to benefit from Dr. Peat's wisdom via osmosis just by gabbing on this forum with other people who likewise have not bothered to actually read any Ray Peat articles that are available for FREE online and are searchable with this search engine: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless
But if you are going to eat starch, aren’t potatoes one of the least harmful?

Herbie

I think McDonalds French fries are much more palatable because they are not full of water unlike most home cooked potatoes and this water is not good for digestion.

I think the farming practices used today make potatoes very watery

mostlylurking

But if you are going to eat starch, aren’t potatoes one of the least harmful?
If you boil them to death they are considered less harmful. But why would you want to do that? I eat them occasionally, maybe once every couple of months or so, but why would you want to do that on a regular basis? Why do you want to eat starch?

Dr. Peat has said that white potatoes do have good protein, which can be more safely used by juicing the potato, then allowing the starch to settle to the bottom, then cooking the liquid without the starch like you would cook scrambled eggs. Dr. Peat has also said that in Africa, where potatoes are a major food staple, they are a healthy choice and are protective against bowel cancer. To use them in this way, you need to eat something like 5 pounds each day.

pauljacob

I love potatoes. I eat them especially for their rich Potassium content. I've heard Dr. Peat say during interviews that the spud is a perfect food when well cooked. I nuke them first, then fry them lightly in Coconut oil. Deeelish! Of course the final taste and texture depends on the variety. Here in the U.S. we have many types of Potatoes to suit any taste.

I like potatoes, especially with meat. The high alkaline mineral content helps to balance the acidity from the meat. Sadly, I don't digest them well at all. Bloating and constipation will ensue if I eat a lot of them. Joint pain too. Haven't eaten them in almost 2 years now.

Doc Sandoz

1/4" wide french fries deep-fried in beef tallow are my favorite. Ate tons of these slightly limp, yet crisp on the outside, critters as a kid at our local old-fashioned drive-in. Once these joints switched over to PUFA in the late '80s, the intoxicating drive-in aroma that once issued from the building vents disappeared and the fries didn't taste very good anymore. I make them myself nowadays, which requires a good gas-fired deep fryer (the new electric ones with immersed heating rods won't work with tallow) and a vintage, sturdy commercial fry cutter. Of course, the combo of starch plus fat is the fastest way to put on the pounds, so I don't eat them as often as I'd like.

Broken man

Please take note that although Ray Peat's name is a big part of the name of this forum, Dr. Peat does not have anything to do with the forum personally. He's not lurking on the sidelines monitoring the posts and deleting the ones he disagrees with.

Here is some suggested reading: Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context

Ray actually mentions "potato" in this article, as an example of a high starch food that is typical of the disastrous American diet and recommended by the American Dietetic Association. Read carefully; note the quotation marks. I emphasized part of Dr. Peat's writing so you will be less likely to misinterpret what he is saying.

Judging by present and past statements of the American Dietetic Association, I think some kind of institutional brain defect might account for their recommendations. Although the dietetic association now feebly acknowledges that sugars don't raise the blood sugar more quickly than starches do, they can't get away from their absurd old recommendations, which were never scientifically justified: Eat more starches, such as bread, cereal, and starchy vegetables--6 servings a day or more. Start the day with cold (dry) cereal with nonfat/skim milk or a bagel with one teaspoon of jelly/jam. Put starch center stage--pasta with tomato sauce, baked potato with chili, rice and stir-fried beef and vegetables. Add cooked black beans, corn, or garbanzo beans (chickpeas) to salads or casseroles.
Ray Peat recommended me potatoes with cheese as easy source of calories... He is also speaking about them in other articles, potatoes are second best starchy source of food.

mostlylurking

Ray Peat recommended me potatoes with cheese as easy source of calories... He is also speaking about them in other articles, potatoes are second best starchy source of food.
A person shouldn't eat something that they think is icky. Unless it's liver. If the potatoes are a big turn off, they should move on to something else. Egg custard, heavy on the egg yolks with some cream comes to mind.

Dr. Peat likes potatoes because they have some pretty good protein in them so they do have positive attributes. They are easy to cook and if cooked to death they are easier to digest. The potato protein is known to solve an ammonia problem if you have an ammonia problem.

But if a person feels revolted by just thinking about having to eat potatoes they shouldn't eat them. They could make a batch of egg custard instead, lots of calories there and great food value. I've heard Dr. Peat say egg custard is the "perfect" food.

If potatoes are considered the second best starchy food, what is considered the #1 best starchy food?

cats

Some people have mild allergies to potatoes. If you truly find them disgusting, I think this may be a sign that your system is trying to avoid them due to past negative experiences with them.

Broken man

A person shouldn't eat something that they think is icky. Unless it's liver. If the potatoes are a big turn off, they should move on to something else. Egg custard, heavy on the egg yolks with some cream comes to mind.

Dr. Peat likes potatoes because they have some pretty good protein in them so they do have positive attributes. They are easy to cook and if cooked to death they are easier to digest. The potato protein is known to solve an ammonia problem if you have an ammonia problem.

But if a person feels revolted by just thinking about having to eat potatoes they shouldn't eat them. They could make a batch of egg custard instead, lots of calories there and great food value. I've heard Dr. Peat say egg custard is the "perfect" food.

If potatoes are considered the second best starchy food, what is considered the #1 best starchy food?
You have true but the thing is that the problem with not eating vitamins rich foods like milk, eggs and potatoes is that you must compensate this with eating more of something other....What I want to say is that people that are not eating these foods or cant eat them have big disadvantage especially when hard times come. So I would be thinking why I dont want to eat them... Bananas are my number 1 if you tolerate them.

Broken man

juts cuorious ... what is the first best starchy source of food according to peat ?
I dont know what peat thinks but bananas are number 1 if you tolerate them, according to vitamin and mineral content.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom