I think potatoes are disgusting

mostlylurking

Your diet is pretty good. I think the fact that you're eating liver and oysters so infrequently might mean that its best to just leave them out. I honestly think that seafood isn't safe anymore. I wouldn't go near oysters, they are basically ocean filters and are loaded with parasites and viruses, and mercury, and plastics. A lot of coastal engineers actually grow oysters on coastlines to filter out oil spills and toxic waste, so you can imagine the bioaccumulation effect from that. I'm not sure about seaweed though, as I do have seaweed as often as I can.
Once a week for liver and for shellfish is what Ray Peat recommends. More frequently is not encouraged because of the negatives. Seaweed can be very high in iodine (not a good thing).
You're spot on with the mushrooms. That's a hidden gem of a food. It's got all the benefits of plant nutrition (or most), with the digestibility and lack of inhibitors and animal products. In fact, mycoprotein digests better than any other protein, and increases lean muscle mass more than any other source (even milk).
The indigestibility of the mushrooms is supposed to be the point, along with the mild antibiotic attribute of them, at least that's why I'm eating them. I'm sure there's other benefits in the mushrooms but I'm eating them to help clean the icky off of my intestine wall so that the less lethal bacteria can set up housekeeping there.
Might I suggest that you start venturing into fermented grains? Just toss oat groats or millet in a glass mason jar with a capful of Apple cider vinegar and let it sit for a few days (3 at the most for me). Then cook it as you normally would, add in your fruits (and milk probably, or sour cream), and its a damn good breakfast. After you 've got the hang of that, you can try to ferment your vegetables.
If you're really adventurous, you can try to ferment beans and starches, although I've been fermenting for two years and still have been a bit cautious with it.
I just read that you had a round of antibiotics for an infection. This is where the fermented foods will help you the most. I think you may be suffering from an imbalanced micro biome.
I'm passing on the grain and also on anything fermented. Thanks but no thanks. I'm strongly gluten sensitive and I know it is dangerous for me to try that. Fermentation increases lactic acid. Lactic acid causes inflammation. I've got more than my share of inflammation already. The consumption of fermented beans and starches simply is not going to happen to this body on my watch. I'm sure you mean well, but I have followed Ray Peat's suggestions for over 6 years and have benefited enormously from doing so. Dr. Peat discourages consuming anything fermented. He also discourages eating all grains, nuts, and seeds, including beans. He also discourages eating starches. I trust Dr. Peat's guidance; I believe he saved my life.

Thank you for your suggestions. I am declining.

gaze

It’s always the same stuff with these people
Crisps, chocolate, cheese
potatoes + fat seems to be the easiest way to gain weight. ray seems to think the pufa oil in chips in the biggest problem, french fries and chips for example, but pounding buttery or cheesy potatoes isn't so innocent. the question is, if one enjoys both potatos and cheese but is gaining weight, should they lower the cheese to lower the fat gain, or lower the potatoes to lower the insulin spike.

ursidae

potatoes + fat seems to be the easiest way to gain weight. ray seems to think the pufa oil in chips in the biggest problem, french fries and chips for example, but pounding buttery or cheesy potatoes isn't so innocent. the question is, if one enjoys both potatos and cheese but is gaining weight, should they lower the cheese to lower the fat gain, or lower the potatoes to lower the insulin spike.
I was curious about the potato+seed oil combo, seems like the fries guy is doing okay weight wise. It’s also bizarre that all these people have great skin

I’d lower the fat or if I wanting to keep the dairy just eat them separately, a few hours apart.

gaze

I’d lower the fat or if I wanting to keep the dairy just eat them separately, a few hours apart.
i would tend to agree. butter is extremely easy to accidentally overdue on potatoes. to be honest, the only reason i even put butter in mashed potato's is to prevent persorption, taste wise i'm completely fine with only milk and salt. i don't really have a weight gain problem, but i notice overall worse blood flow after a big potatoes and butter meal

i would tend to agree. butter is extremely easy to accidentally overdue on potatoes. to be honest, the only reason i even put butter in mashed potato's is to prevent persorption, taste wise i'm completely fine with only milk and salt. i don't really have a weight gain problem, but i notice overall worse blood flow after a big potatoes and butter meal
Have you tried coconut oil instead of butter on the potatoes?

Nik665

Trying to eat potatoes gives me the "kids/obese woman eating broccoli" reaction, i.e. gagging as soon as a tiny morsel of potato disgraces my tongue. I usually experience indigestion afterwards, and then bad memories of my mother forcing me to devour these revolting cardboardesque lumps at dinner.
Funny thing is I think steamed (but still crisp) broccoli tastes nice enough, as long as I don't try to eat too much at once. It has a certain freshness about it.
Boiled is the worst, followed closely by baked (I suspect that floury potatoes might be better but I can't get them at all), but frying them in forbidden oils magically makes them palatable.

I see lots of posts here about potatoes being almost a wonder-food and it makes me wonder how many others are in my position.
Have you tried them in the oven cooked with Salt and butter? They get nice and crispy

CDT

Once a week for liver and for shellfish is what Ray Peat recommends. More frequently is not encouraged because of the negatives. Seaweed can be very high in iodine (not a good thing).

The indigestibility of the mushrooms is supposed to be the point, along with the mild antibiotic attribute of them, at least that's why I'm eating them. I'm sure there's other benefits in the mushrooms but I'm eating them to help clean the icky off of my intestine wall so that the less lethal bacteria can set up housekeeping there.

I'm passing on the grain and also on anything fermented. Thanks but no thanks. I'm strongly gluten sensitive and I know it is dangerous for me to try that. Fermentation increases lactic acid. Lactic acid causes inflammation. I've got more than my share of inflammation already. The consumption of fermented beans and starches simply is not going to happen to this body on my watch. I'm sure you mean well, but I have followed Ray Peat's suggestions for over 6 years and have benefited enormously from doing so. Dr. Peat discourages consuming anything fermented. He also discourages eating all grains, nuts, and seeds, including beans. He also discourages eating starches. I trust Dr. Peat's guidance; I believe he saved my life.

SO what can you eat then? Meat, mushrooms, some fruits,and...more meat?

CDT

Is it enough to simply add the vinegar or would you need to add some water too in order to help spread the vinegar all over the oats? Wouldn't the vinegar be quickly soaked up into a small amount of oats?
OH, right, of course. put water in with the oats

mostlylurking

SO what can you eat then? Meat, mushrooms, some fruits,and...more meat?
Lots of dairy. Orange juice. Milk with maple syrup and gelatin. Slosh slosh slosh.... And eggs! I've had a lot of difficulty eating meat for years. However, since massively increasing my thiamine hcl, I can again eat steak!! Yippee! Apparently, my stomach acid has made a comeback due to the thiamine supplementation. Muscle meat contains tryptophan which converts to serotonin which increases inflammation. However thiamine lowers serotonin so now I'm willing to chance eating some meat occasionally again.

mangoes

I’m exactly the same and people have always called me weird my entire life for it lol

CDT

Also, ray doesn't condemn fermented foods. He advocates for a sterile gut. Which is nonsense in all cases. The thing with the Ray Peat "dieters" is that they let they inventive scientific research endeavors get in the way of basic nutrition science because they see nutrition science as below them. The thing is, we will NEVER have a sterile gut and we should NEVER attempt to externally modify our microbiome via elimination attempts.

The reason you can't tolerate several foods is this:

1. Older generations have done a lot of damage to themselves without knowing it, and it adds up over the years. Coke, Fried foods, Processed cereals, etc. People in our generation get hasimoto's in their 30s, so that kind of tells you something as to how diseased our society is.

2. You're stomach acid was not the cause of your ability to introduce meats in your diet. You're gastric acids INCREASE as you age, so you should technically have been able to eat more meat just by this fact. The reason why you can eat steak again is because you fixed your gut with your diet. My prediction is that the relief from inflammatory foods allowed your gut lining to recuperate and it is now functioning better than it was when you couldn't tolerate meat. This typically is observed in the glycocalix, and can be expedited with your consumption of probiotics.

3. Peat encourages eating starches. He encourages a carbohydrate rich diet. Hence potatoes.

mostlylurking

Also, ray doesn't condemn fermented foods. He advocates for a sterile gut. Which is nonsense in all cases. The thing with the Ray Peat "dieters" is that they let they inventive scientific research endeavors get in the way of basic nutrition science because they see nutrition science as below them. The thing is, we will NEVER have a sterile gut and we should NEVER attempt to externally modify our microbiome via elimination attempts.
I have a lactic acid inflammation issue. I am not going to add more lactic acid to my body. Ray Peat warns against adding lactic acid via fermented foods.

You are making a whole lot of assumptions and declarations.
1. Older generations have done a lot of damage to themselves without knowing it, and it adds up over the years. Coke, Fried foods, Processed cereals, etc. People in our generation get hasimoto's in their 30s, so that kind of tells you something as to how diseased our society is.
What do you mean by "older generations"? What do you mean, "our generation"? How is this pertinent?
2. You're stomach acid was not the cause of your ability to introduce meats in your diet. You're gastric acids INCREASE as you age, so you should technically have been able to eat more meat just by this fact. The reason why you can eat steak again is because you fixed your gut with your diet. My prediction is that the relief from inflammatory foods allowed your gut lining to recuperate and it is now functioning better than it was when you couldn't tolerate meat. This typically is observed in the glycocalix, and can be expedited with your consumption of probiotics.
You have no clue about me and my issues. You are making authoritarian proclamations. I am not interested in taking any probiotics.
3. Peat encourages eating starches. He encourages a carbohydrate rich diet. Hence potatoes.
Dr. Peat warns against eating starches. He encourages eating sugar rich foods which are also considered carbohydrates, hence the carbohydrate rich diet. Starches do not contain any fructose; they convert to straight glucose when absorbed from the gut into the blood stream. Straight glucose triggers insulin more than foods that contain fructose. Fructose does not trigger insulin. Therefore, starches have a higher glycemic index than sugars that contain fructose. Dr. Peat says that white potatoes while starchy, also contain protein which improves their desirability. Hence potatoes.

Spend a little time and actually READ a Ray Peat article about the subject: Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context

also this: Mitochondria and mortality

Last edited:

mostlylurking

Read the thread, people seemed desperate for @mostlylurking to eat starches :confused:

Have you made more progress with your issues lurking?
All things considered, I think I'm doing OK for someone who is 73 with a load of heavy metals.

I don't think people are desperate for me to eat starches; why would they care? I think they are trying to justify their own eating of starches. Two issues with starches are that they are generally low nutrient foods that feed the gut bacteria if they are "complex carbohydrates" and cause a big spike in insulin if they are not "complex carbohydrates". I do better overall if I focus on high nutrient foods that exclude gluten.

Warrior

This is very handy, thanks for sharing.

A pinned list of resources and overview topics like this:

Would be a welcome addition to this forum. Everything Peat related seems to be all over the place and haphazardly stated. Fine if you've been here a while and know the ins and outs but not exactly user friendly for newcomers.

Maybe a "If you're new here" subsection with links?

mostlylurking

This is very handy, thanks for sharing.

A pinned list of resources and overview topics like this:

Would be a welcome addition to this forum. Everything Peat related seems to be all over the place and haphazardly stated. Fine if you've been here a while and know the ins and outs but not exactly user friendly for newcomers.

Maybe a "If you're new here" subsection with links?
If you click on "Wiki" in the top header, you will find an outline with this link New to Peat: How to get started? Also: Ray Peat: Links to referenced studies . I personally think the title, "Wiki" is a little esoteric, maybe simply "Start Here" would be a better title? Or perhaps a drop down menu could be added under the link "Wiki" in the header? @haidut ?

I like these two search engines,
PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless for searching Peat's written work and
Bioenergetic Search for searching the audio shows
and also this list: Ray Peat related sites directory (MarshmalloW)

I find that I use these three resources the most frequently.

Last edited:

Warrior

Thanks. I agree it could be a bit clearer as removing barriers to entry and eliminating any possible confusion is the optimal solution to keeping a movement moving when newcomers roll in. Most are all about the path of least resistance and like to be spoon fed as opposed to those who actively hunt out the gems by digging and engaging in discussion.

Peats work in general (not just on this forum) seems to be liberally sprinkled all over various random bits and pieces of his output based on research and experience. To be expected in a sense but the suggestions would definitely help those who are wondering just what it all is and if its worthy of their attention.

Back
Top Bottom