Human Bodies Have Steadily Grown Colder Over The Past Century, Evidence Shows

nigma

from: Human Bodies Have Steadily Grown Colder Over The Past Century, Evidence Shows

Human Bodies Have Steadily Grown Colder Over The Past Century, Evidence Shows

MIKE MCRAE
9 JAN 2020

For more than a century, 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit – 37 degrees Celsius – has been used as a landmark of human health. We've suspected for a while now that the number needs adjusting, but a new study shows it's not for the reasons we thought.

"What everybody grew up learning, which is that our normal temperature is 98.6, is wrong."

To find out, the researchers dug through the medical records of nearly 24,000 Union Army veterans following the US Civil War to work out just how hot we ran around a century ago.

These numbers were then compared to around 15,000 records from an early 1970s national health survey and 150,000 records from a Stanford clinical data platform representing the early 2000s. In total, the team had details on more than half a million individual temperature measurements.

Sure enough, there was a clear, significant difference over time. Temperatures among those living at the end of the 19th century were slightly warmer. Men born in the 2000s, for example, were 0.59 degrees Celsius cooler than those born in the early 1800s, representing a steady decline of 0.03 degrees Celsius per decade.

The drop was similar for women, with a drop of 0.32 degrees Celsius since the 1890s.

Since it's unlikely that thermometer technology or methods evolved at a rate that would explain this steady drop, we're free to ask whether something about our own bodies – or our environment – caused temperatures to slip south.

"Physiologically, we're just different from what we were in the past," says Parsonnet.

"The environment that we're living in has changed, including the temperature in our homes, our contact with microorganisms and the food that we have access to. All these things mean that although we think of human beings as if we're monomorphic and have been the same for all of human evolution, we're not the same. We're actually changing physiologically."

Improvements in health and nutrition could be a fruitful place to search for an explanation. Our increasing body masses would push metabolisms into warmer categories, but inflammation is linked closely with variations in body temperature, and a decline in chronic infections just might explain why we're a little less feverish.

This research was published in eLife."

AKA more and more people are becoming hypothyroid.

T3Energy

Very interesting study. Funny that they conclude the reduced body temperature in our time is linked to reduced chronic inflammation and mention aspirin as an example drug for that effect.
But as we know, aspirin raises body temperature in most cases.
Their conclusion doesnt add up in my opinion.
Their results rather indicate a reduced thyroid activity over the last 200 years.

Very interesting study. Funny that they conclude the reduced body temperature in our time is linked to reduced chronic inflammation and mention aspirin as an example drug for that effect.
But as we know, aspirin raises body temperature in most cases.
Their conclusion doesnt add up in my opinion.
Their results rather indicate a reduced thyroid activity over the last 200 years.

agreed. Maybe more PUFA and less thyroid consumed in food from fish heads, necks.

rei

Environmental toxicity is clearly the reason. What you come in contact with, and what you consume. This decreasing body temperature (probably from decreasing thyroid function) goes hand in hand with drastic reduction in testosterone (and probably progesterone) levels over same time period and resulting epidemic of infertility and drop in sperm quality. We are being slowly poisoned on a population scale and only the "elite" can navigate this mess and survive through it all somewhat undamaged. It takes considerable knowledge AND financial resources to not succumb to the machine that is trying to domesticate mankind.

somuch4food

My mom, sisters, and every girlfriend I've had have always emphasized that they are always freezing. Iodine and vitamin E are helping my latest freezing girlfriend get through these winter mornings.

I see the same in office workspaces. Women are freezing. They are at higher since they are more prone to eat less and slowly starve themselves.

We are being slowly poisoned on a population scale and only the "elite" can navigate this mess and survive through it all somewhat undamaged. It takes considerable knowledge AND financial resources to not succumb to the machine that is trying to domesticate mankind.

I'm not even sure the elite is aware of it. I would say that the beast to exterminate is actually the collective of people called modern society.

Inaut

Isn't the liver largely responsible for maintaining body temperature (thermogenesis)? Could it be flappy livers filled with pufa/irons/and uninvited critters causing lowered temps?

LUH 3417

Environmental toxicity is clearly the reason. What you come in contact with, and what you consume. This decreasing body temperature (probably from decreasing thyroid function) goes hand in hand with drastic reduction in testosterone (and probably progesterone) levels over same time period and resulting epidemic of infertility and drop in sperm quality. We are being slowly poisoned on a population scale and only the "elite" can navigate this mess and survive through it all somewhat undamaged. It takes considerable knowledge AND financial resources to not succumb to the machine that is trying to domesticate mankind.
I’m not sure if the elite are in the know nutritionally. They probably have a bunch of weird stupid procedures and expensive treatments but I would bet that they eat tons of PUFA. Some of them are ugly as hell. Just look at the royal family...

lampofred

The typical governor or congressperson will not know but I'm there are people higher up whose names we don't know who know what's going on. PUFA being bad for you, 5HT being bad for you, progesterone being closely associated with brain size is discussed like common knowledge in some of the older textbooks I've skimmed. I don't think they think they are doing wrong though, they just feel that they are guiding the world to become more civilized.

LUH 3417

The typical governor or congressperson will not know but I'm there are people higher up whose names we don't know who know what's going on. PUFA being bad for you, 5HT being bad for you, progesterone being closely associated with brain size is discussed like common knowledge in some of the older textbooks I've skimmed. I don't think they think they are doing wrong though, they just feel that they are guiding the world to become more civilized.
True. I recall our exchange about Huxley and excerpts from brave new world. But why are so many rich people fat and bald? I guess you mean the super rich who aren’t even in tabloids.

redsun

I’m not sure if the elite are in the know nutritionally. They probably have a bunch of weird stupid procedures and expensive treatments but I would bet that they eat tons of PUFA. Some of them are ugly as hell. Just look at the royal family...

The royal family and the other "elites" you see aren't actually the true elites. The true elites you will never see in your entire life. Those people are put in to deceive you into thinking you can see your rulers.

LUH 3417

The royal family and the other "elites" you see aren't actually the true elites. The true elites you will never see in your entire life. Those people are put in to deceive you into thinking you can see your rulers.
Oh ok. Spooky. How do you know

lampofred

True. I recall our exchange about Huxley and excerpts from brave new world. But why are so many rich people fat and bald? I guess you mean the super rich who aren’t even in tabloids.

My guess is that what they care about most is being dispassionate so they will avoid things like fructose and aspirin which are very good for appearance but can increase glycolysis, which is desire.

Inaut

Also my thoughts

Could you point me to good fish heads summary please?

I don't have one. Fish heads have thyroid glands in them. Chicken necks have them often removed although you may be able to get necks with thyroid glands intact, but fish heads usually have the thyroid in them. So soup with them will contain natural thyroid.

LeeLemonoil

Oh ok. Spooky. How do you know

True elites are probably in power for centuries. Centuries of not having need to work or care for mundane things, only to ponder how to keep and extend your power. You’ll devise some very efficient strategies over such a time frame and with those resources at your disposal. Elites network and ally and are very good at recruiting talented people with real knowledge.
They likely long since decided not to be out in the open.

LeeLemonoil

I think though that the British royal family is one exemption. But not by choice but necessity. British subjects and lords rose to become true elites during the time of the Empire beginning in ~1600. The monarch would grow in power too but most of all would be aware of another true elite forming
among his underlings, be they commons or lords. He would claw into that and trade his own substantial power with their growing might. He could bestow them honors and titles, something upcoming elites couldn’t buy and still longed for. They long since have their understanding that although the British monarch is not the supreme lord anymore he is still very useful to blind the commoners. The monarch knows and plays his role well. The windsors are billionaires mind and know how to keep their mouthed ***t and go about their „dutiful“ so called public service. But what they do and whom they deal with behind closed doors we don’t know.
But they couldn’t just give up officials on the monarchy and their positions without losing substantial leverage for their position within the true elite. So they are in the Open Necessarily not because they like it.
But they are in no way the highest ranks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals