Huge Fatigue After Breakfast

connorj123

I first started my day with a little bit of icecream. Had some 70% dark choc followed by a coffee with cream and two sugars. Felt amazing with a good body temp plus warm hands and feet

Ate a sausage sandwch + a glass of orange juice and my energy absolutely tanked and I started getting cold. Is this an adrenaline thing?

berk

Sausage/meat/fish/fat is way harder to digest.
so all the energy goes to digesting. give it a hour or so.

Otterbutt

I'd agree it might be the work required for digestion. Maybe try to swap the timing of oj and coffee? I always have a bit of caffeine with a bigger daytime meal. Or have something else stimulating with the protein, but you'll have to figure out what that is for your body (chocolate, soda, sugar, etc). I used to crash on coke/sugary coffee (now it's okay).

OP
C

connorj123

I'd agree it might be the work required for digestion. Maybe try to swap the timing of oj and coffee? I always have a bit of caffeine with a bigger daytime meal. Or have something else stimulating with the protein, but you'll have to figure out what that is for your body (chocolate, soda, sugar, etc). I used to crash on coke/sugary coffee (now it's okay).

What do you think is hard to digest though? I eat so much fat from dairy and get no fatigue. The fat in pork and meat are both saturated so I dont think thats it.. But I remember getting fatigue after eating pork the other day too, and steaks another time. Why could that be?

somuch4food

What do you think is hard to digest though? I eat so much fat from dairy and get no fatigue. The fat in pork and meat are both saturated so I dont think thats it.. But I remember getting fatigue after eating pork the other day too, and steaks another time. Why could that be?

Weak stomach acid? Or maybe it's the OJ...

OJ rarely make me feel warm. I use it mainly to cool down or quench thirst.

It could also be the mix of fatty meat + cold beverage. Solid fat is harder to digest.

Don't get too caught up on every bad reactions you have. Avoid PUFA, increase carbs, have enough proteins and enjoy your meals. You will gradually have less bad reactions if you're on the right path as your body ramps its metabolism once again.

I get that cold feeling when I eat something that is hard to digest for me or when I eat a PUFA meal. It might just be a bad combination for you at that moment. Try to listen to your body to improve your understanding of your own needs and weaknesses. When a meal feels good, take note of it, you will probably end up eating it more often.

Otterbutt

I totally understand where you're coming from, dairy is so easily digestible, but I'm not certain on the mechanism. In my mind, I don't think it's the fat, but I think it's the protein part - the muscle meat. Imagine it in your stomach: cheese and other dairy are creamy, kind of "predigested," but meat will be in larger chunks and sit in there for longer?

Idea: ph of stomach? maybe the coffee helps me because it's acidic and so it breaks it down better. perhaps acidic foods or adding hcl, enzymes, or high acid fruits (which is why brazilian steakhouses offer grilled pineapple among their meat selections!) might help, come to think of it!! do you feel a bit more bloated and heavy with meat?

eta: oh just remembered you had oj with it...maybe not enough then, or maybe not the reason...

OP
C

connorj123

Also
Weak stomach acid? Or maybe it's the OJ...

OJ rarely make me feel warm. I use it mainly to cool down or quench thirst.

It could also be the mix of fatty meat + cold beverage. Solid fat is harder to digest.

Don't get too caught up on every bad reactions you have. Avoid PUFA, increase carbs, have enough proteins and enjoy your meals. You will gradually have less bad reactions if you're on the right path as your body ramps its metabolism once again.

I get that cold feeling when I eat something that is hard to digest for me or when I eat a PUFA meal. It might just be a bad combination for you at that moment. Try to listen to your body to improve your understanding of your own needs and weaknesses. When a meal feels good, take note of it, you will probably end up eating it more often.

Thank you mate, this makes sense. Sometimes it can be hard not to get caught up in each reaction, but I think like you say the bigger picture is more important

About what you said about carbs by the way. I do try to eat carbs and I do enjoy them, but I wonder which carb goes well with meat to help reduce that insulin spike?

I have been listening a bit ago to ray peat saying protein without the correct ratio of carbs can cause an insulin spike. But to my knowledge rice and starchy foods arent good ? It would be easy to have white rice with meals but not sure if it will slow recovery ?

OP
C

connorj123

I totally understand where you're coming from, dairy is so easily digestible, but I'm not certain on the mechanism. In my mind, I don't think it's the fat, but I think it's the protein part - the muscle meat. Imagine it in your stomach: cheese and other dairy are creamy, kind of "predigested," but meat will be in larger chunks and sit in there for longer?

Idea: ph of stomach? maybe the coffee helps me because it's acidic and so it breaks it down better. perhaps acidic foods or adding hcl, enzymes, or high acid fruits (which is why brazilian steakhouses offer grilled pineapple among their meat selections!) might help, come to think of it!! do you feel a bit more bloated and heavy with meat?

eta: oh just remembered you had oj with it...maybe not enough then, or maybe not the reason...

On second thought, I definitely think fat from meat would be harder to break down. Maybe having white rice with meat is the answer? Peat says carbs with meat nullifies the stress response that you get by eating protein alone

I had a giant beef chilli last night with tons of rice, absolutely no tiredness afterwards. Sausage sandwich this morning, extreme tiredness and much smaller portion. Perhaps their werent enough carbs in the bread to not create the stress response?

Yeah coffee feels amazing for my stomach as well by the way. Alongside digestive enzymes my bowel movements are good, and I just generally feel happier on coffee

Otterbutt

Glad you think you might have it sorted! Maybe that is your ticket. :)
I had rare steak pho yesterday and felt pretty light after it (rice noodles, broth, veggies as condiments, thinly sliced lean beef). This dish traditionally tends to "skimp" on the meat by American standards, but probably knows what it's doing, carb:protein ratio-wise, similar to sushi.

berk

can also be a histamine issue.
pork & oj = high histamine

Last edited:

somuch4food

About what you said about carbs by the way. I do try to eat carbs and I do enjoy them, but I wonder which carb goes well with meat to help reduce that insulin spike?

I have been listening a bit ago to ray peat saying protein without the correct ratio of carbs can cause an insulin spike. But to my knowledge rice and starchy foods arent good ? It would be easy to have white rice with meals but not sure if it will slow recovery ?

White starch can be good additions to a nutrient dense diet. Tubers are the best starch fron a Peat point of view. The warning about starch is that it can impair digestion in certain circumstances. Some on the forum do best with starch, some with fruits and others with a mix of the 2. You just have to experiment to find your answer.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals