How good is Korean Ginseng ?

johnysummer

I have been studying the research on the Ginseng forms the last days, because I am considering taking some as I had very good results last year that I used it. For the most part I see only pro-metabolic and anti-stress benefits in theory and since it greatly increased my resilience to stress last year, while also boosting my mood and cognitive function, I want to give it a second try. I am just cautious after reading this study Effects of ginseng on stress-related depression, anxiety, and the hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal axis where it upregulated estrogen receptors and thus deemed effective as a supplement for osteoporosis. What do you guys think ? Anyone has experience using it ? I have mostly positive feedback from when I used it.

akgrrrl

This is only my opinion, but when it comes to any compound natural or synthetic, the SOURCE and the strength of its compounds, is what matters. And, even then, batches are variable as are wind, water, soil, and extraction methods.

I just finished reading Mind and Tissue, and Ray actually mentioned ginseng:
Reduced expenditure of glycogen, ATP and creative phosphate (Dardymov, 1971) combined with increased protein synthesis (Rozin, 1971) and increased resistance of cells and organisms to stress, can be achieved with ginseng, eleutherococcus, and 2-benzyl-benzimidazole

This prompted me to look into it more, and there is some research showing that ginseng is helpful to the energetic system in relation to muscle glycogen and cellular respiration:
Ginseng increases muscle glycogen
Ginseng reduces mitochondrial swelling, formation of lipid peroxidation byproduct (so it probably inhibits lipid peroxidation directly), and increases ATP
Ginseng increases ATP production in myoblasts (which are the precursor to muscle cells), makes more myoblasts, and increases mitochondrial biogenesis
Ginseng (especially in 90% ethanol extract) prepares cardiomyoctes (which are precursors to heart cells) to better endure future oxidative stressors and increases respiratory capacity of mitochondria

OP
J

johnysummer

Yes I have seen him mention it other 2-3 times and if I remember correctly he compared its actions to natural steroids. From what I ve seen in the research I can find minor drawbacks of why not to use it (with the exception of upregulating estrogen receptors which I think is bad but still not knowing the degree that this happens). Also my personal experience with it is very positive and since I had very poor sleep the last days I started it and I will use it for 10-14 days and see what happens.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals