Ginseng. DHEA, Pregnenolone And Peatarians

Strongbad

I was browsing around for things that can enhance the effect on DHEA and pregnenolone and found Ginseng:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1421460/
Ginseng enhances the effectiveness of DHEA
I appreciated the RCT on the efficacy of ginseng for preventing upper respiratory tract infections.1 I suggest cortisol evolved as the natural antagonist of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) activity and is the basis of the “fight or flight mechanism.” This is derived from my hypothesis that the major pathway of adrenal hormone production is the “dehydroepiandrosterone pathway,” which consists of DHEA and cortisol. Increased cortisol may affect many tissues.2 Ginseng reduces cortisol production.3 By reducing the amount of cortisol, and hence the cortisol to DHEA ratio, ginseng increases the relative effectiveness of available DHEA. DHEA is known to exert protection from many infectious agents, including viruses. I suggest ginseng lowers the incidence of upper respiratory tract infections because it decreases the cortisol to DHEA ratio.

But at the same it's estrogenic. Maybe it's just the Korean and Asian ginseng:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3659583/
Estrogen Receptor Is Activated by Korean Red Ginseng In Vitro but Not In Vivo

Apparently there are 11 types of ginseng: Siberian, Korean, Asian Ginseng, Ginseng, Chinese Ginseng, Asiatic Ginseng etc.

http://www.lef.org/Protocols/Emotional-Health/Stress-Management/Page-02
Probably the most recognized of the adaptogen herbs in the West is Ginseng (Panax ginseng). There are eleven species of this medicinal herb, P. ginseng being among the most widely studied (Chen 2004; Huang 1999). American Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) is another species within the Panax genus that shares medicinal properties (Chan 2000). Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus), while not technically a true ginseng botanical, has similar beneficial properties and is closely related to the Panax family of plants (Davydov 2000).

Siberian ginseng is typically used as an aphrodisiac while red Korean ginseng is often used in Chinese traditional medicine.

http://www.positivehealth.com/article/nutrition/how-to-increase-your-energy-naturally
Positive effects:
* enhance the body's response to stress;
* decrease feelings of anxiety and stress;
* increase immediate energy (stimulant);
* restore vitality, energy, and endurance over time (tonic);
* increase mental and physical performance.
Cautions: None for Siberian ginseng. For Asian ginseng possible menstrual abnormalities and breast tenderness. Overuse can cause overstimulation, including insomnia in sensitive individuals. Take a one-month break after taking ginseng for three months.
How much? For Siberian ginseng 200-400mg daily; for Asian ginseng, 100-200mg daily of a standardized extract containing 4-7% ginsenosides.

Seems like Siberian Ginseng supplements well with pregnenolone and DHEA:
http://www.mybestremedies.com/ailme...elated-issues/low_dhea_levels_-_remedies.html
Siberian ginseng contains a compound related to pregnenolone, that acts as a precursor for DHEA and cortisol. Take 100mg twice daily. NOTE: The ginseng family is very stimulating to the body. Take this herb before 3:00PM.

http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=1728250
The use of Siberian Ginseng switches adrenal function from a cortisol/catoblic focus to a DHEA/anabolic focus resulting in building and energizing and normalizing physiological functioning throughout the body.

So it seems that Siberian ginseng is Peat-friendly but not Korean/Asian ginseng since it's estrogenic. But I have to make sure, so what do you guys think?

And is it hair-friendly, too? Aka promote hair growth not hair loss?

Ginseng is generally badass. I'd try it and see how you feel! There are these panax ginseng shots I have which include 1) panax ginseng 2) royal jelly 3) niacinamide. They're pretty badass; I carry them around - and provide a good feeling/energy.

Sheik

oxidation_is_normal said:
Ginseng is generally badass. I'd try it and see how you feel! There are these panax ginseng shots I have which include 1) panax ginseng 2) royal jelly 3) niacinamide. They're pretty badass; I carry them around - and provide a good feeling/energy.
What brand are those ginseng shots? I'd like to try them.

More than one... Most Chinese markets have these boxes of little glass vials of ginseng, and they usually have a royal honey mixture (but ethanol seems most common). They're pretty fun to drink :)

thyrulian

Hey, I was just researching KRG and found some great stuff!

Korean Red Ginseng water extract inhibits COX-2 expression by suppressing p38 in acrolein-treated human endothelial cells (p38 & CREB signaling pathways are linked)

Total saponin from korean red ginseng inhibits thromboxane A2 production associated microsomal enzyme activity in platelets. (COX-1 inhibition)

So, it seems CREB phosphorylation depends on ERK, whose phosphorylation the saponin, ginsenoside Ro, downregulates:

Intracellular Ca(2+) ([Ca(2+)] i ) is platelet aggregation-inducing molecule and is involved in activation of aggregation associated molecules. This study was carried out to understand the Ca(2+)-antagonistic effect of ginsenoside Ro (G-Ro), an oleanane-type saponin in Panax ginseng. G-Ro, without affecting leakage of lactate dehydrogenase, dose-dependently inhibited thrombin-induced platelet aggregation, and the half maximal inhibitory concentration was approximately 155 μM. G-Ro inhibited strongly thrombin-elevated [Ca(2+)] i , which was strongly increased by A-kinase inhibitor Rp-8-Br-cAMPS compared to G-kinase inhibitor Rp-8-Br-cGMPS. G-Ro increased the level of cAMP and subsequently elevated the phosphorylation of inositol 1, 4, 5-triphosphate receptor I (IP3RI) (Ser(1756)) to inhibit [Ca(2+)] i mobilization in thrombin-induced platelet aggregation. Phosphorylation of IP3RI (Ser(1756)) by G-Ro was decreased by PKA inhibitor Rp-8-Br-cAMPS. In addition, G-Ro inhibited thrombin-induced phosphorylation of ERK 2 (42 kDa), indicating inhibition of Ca(2+) influx across plasma membrane. We demonstrate that G-Ro upregulates cAMP-dependent IP3RI (Ser(1756)) phosphorylation and downregulates phosphorylation of ERK 2 (42 kDa) to decrease thrombin-elevated [Ca(2+)] i , which contributes to inhibition of ATP and serotonin release, and p-selectin expression. These results indicate that G-Ro in Panax ginseng is a beneficial novel Ca(2+)-antagonistic compound and may prevent platelet aggregation-mediated thrombotic disease.

And so, the implications for stress-provoked need:

Inhibitory effects of ginseng total saponin on up-regulation of cAMP pathway induced by repeated administration of morphine

Korean Red Ginseng attenuates anxiety-like behavior during ethanol withdrawal in rats:
The EPM test and RIA revealed KRGE inhibited anxiety-like behavior and the over secretion of plasma CORT during EW. Furthermore, the behavioral effect was blocked by a selective DA D2 receptor (D2R) antagonist (eticlopride) but not by a selective DA D1 receptor (D1R) antagonist (SCH23390). HPLC analyses showed KRGE reversed EW-induced decreases of DA and DOPAC in a dose-dependent way. Additionally, Western blotting and real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assays showed that KRGE prevented the EW-induced reductions in tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) protein expression in the CeA and TH mRNA expression in the ventral tegmental area (VTA).

(FWIW, I find it hard to believe KRG is estrogenic given estrogen's strong relationship with CREB.)

Good thinking. How about DHEA with some theanine?

DHT

i love ginseng what a fortune i wanted to make yesterday a thread about ginseng if other ppl also have great results with it. It increase in my case so good DHEA. I think its maybe because the amazing bloodflow to the brain.

But maybe if we combine ginseng with strong coffe we cant decline the convertion from DHEA to estrogenes

Frankdee20

Panax Ginseng paired with coffee is very strong, make sure you e got food in you.

Waynish

Should ask @tyw about the efficacy of long-term usage of TCM herbs. Ginseng has widespread usage in TCM, but I would stick to shorter term usage of it.

_lppaiva

Apparently there are 11 types of ginseng: Siberian, Korean, Asian Ginseng, Ginseng, Chinese Ginseng, Asiatic Ginseng etc.

Actually, from a Botanic point of view, there are 3 widely available varieties in the West.

Ginseng persay is only the Panax genus, that includes Panax ginseng (which is the Korean Ginseng. Red Korean Ginseng is when it's steamed, so maybe that might affect its structure and intensifies the estrogenic properties), Panax notoginseng (South China Ginseng/Chinese Ginseng) and Panax quinquefolius (American Ginseng).

Siberian Ginseng is NOT from the Panax genus, therefore, it isnt persay Ginseng. P. ginseng may also be referred to as Chinese or Asian Ginseng, so in the end, they are actually the same plant. From a pratical standpoint, there are currently 3 true ginseng and one "pseudo" ginseng easily available in the market.

Herbs like Pseudostellaria heterophylla and Eleutherococcus senticosus are commercially referred to as ginseng, but are not from the Panax genus. While P. heterophylla has shown to have mild, but similar effects to true ginseng, Siberian "Ginseng" is indead a completely different plant, which explains the different properties.

So I would say the "benefits" of most Ginseng roots are through estrogen activity, while the E. senticosus probably has another mechanism of action.

Frankdee20

True Ginseng is highly stimulating and blocks GABA, so when you have it with Caffeine, it’s going to become anxiety provoking

Frankdee20

A lot of these adaptogenic herbs end up taxing energy reserves in the body of used too frequently. Most are heat forming and stimulating to the organism. I never did well with them....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals