High starch diet improve insulin sensivity?

Roni123@

What do you think of the idea that high glycemic index carbohydrates, such as starches, improve insulin sensitivity, simply by increasing insulin and its use... and does this also help replenish glycogen stores in the liver? I feel that fructose harms my liver, even if I eat a diet rich in fructose (starch) and low fat I can't sleep straight and rest, but if I only consume starch and low fat, I sleep uninterruptedly (liver full of glucose )

What do you think of the idea that high glycemic index carbohydrates, such as starches, improve insulin sensitivity, simply by increasing insulin and its use... and does this also help replenish glycogen stores in the liver? I feel that fructose harms my liver, even if I eat a diet rich in fructose (starch) and low fat I can't sleep straight and rest, but if I only consume starch and low fat, I sleep uninterruptedly (liver full of glucose )
Fruit is not good for sleep, but other carbs are. Meat is also terrible for sleep. Try eating sprouted grains. Regular grains carry minerals out of the body and are destructive to tooth and bone health, while sprouted is more of a vegetable than a grain and adds minerals instead. It is also more helpful for diabetes and such. Ray Peat thought highly of sprouted grains….

“In addition to increasing nutrients, sprouting also decreases antinutrients.

Antinutrients are substances naturally found in plants. Some bind nutrients, making them resistant to digestion, while others inhibit digestive enzymes and reduce nutrient absorption.

Since antinutrients aren’t consumed in isolation, though, they aren’t as harmful when taken in with whole foods (14Trusted Source).

Cooking increases the digestibility of most grains and legumes, but it does not eliminate all antinutrients.

Phytic acid is an antinutrient that remains after cooking. It blocks the absorption of calcium, iron, and zinc (15Trusted Source, 16Trusted Source).

In older studies, sprouting grains and legumes significantly decreases their phytic acid content, which improves iron absorption by up to 50% (10Trusted Source, 17Trusted Source, 18Trusted Source).“

“Sprouting partially breaks down the starch in the grains, which lowers the carb content (5Trusted Source).

One older study found that sprouted grain bread had the lowest available carbs, with 34 grams (g) in a 4-ounce (oz), or 110-g, serving, compared with 44 g in a 12-grain bread (6Trusted Source).

What’s more, due to its lower carb and higher fiber content, sprouted grain bread had the lowest glycemic index, compared to 11-grain, 12-grain, sourdough, or white bread. Glycemic index is a measure of how quickly a food raises your blood sugar (6Trusted Source).

For this reason, sprouted grain bread is an especially good choice for people living with diabetes or high blood sugar.”

I have collected a lot of good information in my thread, linked below, on insulin issues….

InChristAlone

It might be that your liver is a bit fatty thus fructose and fat make it worse? I'm still trying to understand fatty liver so I'm not sure. But yes starch does increase insulin sensitivity. Something the Keto crowd fails to see.

peter88

It might be that your liver is a bit fatty thus fructose and fat make it worse? I'm still trying to understand fatty liver so I'm not sure. But yes starch does increase insulin sensitivity. Something the Keto crowd fails to see.
But then don’t some say too much fructose causes fatty liver? Garrett smith says avoid fructose expect apples and bananas. Also avoid added fats because it puts strain on the liver.

OP
R

Roni123@

I heard that the more insulin you secrete with a diet rich in carbohydrates and low in fat, the more sensitive you become, and that insulin promotes glucose in the liver, improving thyroid conversion, fructose does not increase insulin, causing this enzyme is not activated

InChristAlone

But then don’t some say too much fructose causes fatty liver? Garrett smith says avoid fructose expect apples and bananas. Also avoid added fats because it puts strain on the liver.
Yes, that is vehemently rejected around here though. I don't know who to believe so I've greatly decreased fructose in my diet.

peter88

Yes, that is vehemently rejected around here though. I don't know who to believe so I've greatly decreased fructose in my diet.
Me too. Fruit and fructose makes me feel extremely hypo. Freezing cold and temperature drops to 96. I feel cold in places I didn’t know was possible.

youngsinatra

Me too. Fruit and fructose makes me feel extremely hypo. Freezing cold and temperature drops to 96. I feel cold in places I didn’t know was possible.
Recently saw a post of someone who was on a big dally dose of T4 (and still felt hypo) to control her Hashimoto and labs and later found out that she had fructose intolerance. Changed her diet. Digestion normalized. Quit her medication. Labs normal again. And most importantly, hypo symptoms gone. I was stunned.

peter88

Recently saw a post of someone who was on a big dally dose of T4 (and still felt hypo) to control her Hashimoto and labs and later found out that she had fructose intolerance. Changed her diet. Digestion normalized. Quit her medication. Labs normal again. And most importantly, hypo symptoms gone. I was stunned.
Wow thanks for sharing. Do you remember how long it took for things to normalize?

mostlylurking

Sounds ridiculous.

"When the idea of "glycemic index" was being popularized by dietitians, it was already known that starch, consisting of chains of glucose molecules, had a much higher index than fructose and sucrose. The more rapid appearance of glucose in the blood stimulates more insulin, and insulin stimulates fat synthesis, when there is more glucose than can be oxidized immediately. If starch or glucose is eaten at the same time as polyunsaturated fats, which inhibit its oxidation, it will produce more fat. Many animal experiments show this, even when they are intending to show the dangers of fructose and sucrose."

Regarding fructose:
"Hepatic oxidative stress as well as macrovesicular fatty changes in hepatocytes caused by a high-fructose diet were also improved by biotin. Our findings demonstrate that biotin has a protective role against metabolic syndrome by improving insulin resistance associated with normal hepatic and serum levels of triglyceride and cholesterol, blood pressure, and the prevention of steatosis and hepatic oxidative damage. Therefore, biotin could be used as a therapeutic strategy in the pharmacological treatment of metabolic syndrome."
-end paste-

Another thing to consider is the importance of thiamine. If thiamine supply is insufficient or if thiamine function is blocked, glucose in the blood cannot be burned as fuel which results in blood glucose rising which increases insulin. Insulin packs the excess blood sugar away as fat for long term storage. Please note that consuming a high starch diet uses up available thiamine so if the availability of thiamine is borderline and you consume a high starch diet, you will cause a thiamine deficiency and the health consequences of that. Think beriberi.

OP
R

Roni123@

high starch and low fat are good for me, improved my strength and gut health, yes my bowel consistency is very good

TucsonJJ

Fruit is not good for sleep, but other carbs are. Meat is also terrible for sleep. Try eating sprouted grains. Regular grains carry minerals out of the body and are destructive to tooth and bone health, while sprouted is more of a vegetable than a grain and adds minerals instead. It is also more helpful for diabetes and such. Ray Peat thought highly of sprouted grains….

“In addition to increasing nutrients, sprouting also decreases antinutrients.

Antinutrients are substances naturally found in plants. Some bind nutrients, making them resistant to digestion, while others inhibit digestive enzymes and reduce nutrient absorption.

Since antinutrients aren’t consumed in isolation, though, they aren’t as harmful when taken in with whole foods (14Trusted Source).

Cooking increases the digestibility of most grains and legumes, but it does not eliminate all antinutrients.

Phytic acid is an antinutrient that remains after cooking. It blocks the absorption of calcium, iron, and zinc (15Trusted Source, 16Trusted Source).

In older studies, sprouting grains and legumes significantly decreases their phytic acid content, which improves iron absorption by up to 50% (10Trusted Source, 17Trusted Source, 18Trusted Source).“

“Sprouting partially breaks down the starch in the grains, which lowers the carb content (5Trusted Source).

One older study found that sprouted grain bread had the lowest available carbs, with 34 grams (g) in a 4-ounce (oz), or 110-g, serving, compared with 44 g in a 12-grain bread (6Trusted Source).

What’s more, due to its lower carb and higher fiber content, sprouted grain bread had the lowest glycemic index, compared to 11-grain, 12-grain, sourdough, or white bread. Glycemic index is a measure of how quickly a food raises your blood sugar (6Trusted Source).

For this reason, sprouted grain bread is an especially good choice for people living with diabetes or high blood sugar.”

Do you think Ezekiel bread is OK?? I LOVE my sourdough bread (Rustik Oven brand), but Ezekiel bread is probably better for me... taste is very lacking, IMO... toasted makes it bearable...
I seem to remember Dinkov saying starch is OK if taken with saturated fat... ??
White rice has always agreed with me...

TucsonJJ

Sourdough and masa are the tastiest imo
Elimination of fructose sort of blows any 'Peat' type diet away, no? Fruits and sugar (half fructose) are huge parts, no?
I'd love to find a food list that works for me... not sure Peat's is it. I am new here and mean no disrespect...
I could live on sourdough bread and pretzels, cheese, rice, good eggs... good milk and coconut milk... rice cereal... apples and bananas are fine... Love OJ... ??
I use coconut oil or a little EVOO... small amounts of meat, but hard to find "grass-fed" pork, chicken and yes, beef (other than ground)... LOVE Coffee,, but it hurts me, maybe allergic? I am trying Inosine to remedy... just started (many benefits, interesting stuff!) Tea lowers testosterone and mine's low already...
A little help here?? :):

Do you think Ezekiel bread is OK?? I LOVE my sourdough bread (Rustik Oven brand), but Ezekiel bread is probably better for me... taste is very lacking, IMO... toasted makes it bearable...
I seem to remember Dinkov saying starch is OK if taken with saturated fat... ??
White rice has always agreed with me...
Ok and optimal are two different things. It also depends upon what your health is and goals are. I have no digestion issues whatsoever, but I for the most part avoid grains for my teeth health and for my hair. I avoided them also when I wanted to lose weight. I love sourdough bread too, and will partake if it is made with organic flour, which has no glysophate aka Round-Up, and no yeast, sprouted Ezekiel not so much. It is so dry. I like the sprouted manna bread better, and let’s face it toasting it is better, but it is the butter that make bread taste so good! As for potatoes and other starches, I preferred boiled ones, because a lot of the starch gets boiled and tossed out with the water, and it is easier to digest.
1705284818781.jpeg

1705284836879.jpeg

TucsonJJ

Thanks, not sure if Rustik Oven uses good flour... and that Manna bread looks good! Can't find it at Walmart or Albertson's, my 2 main stores... do you order it online?
I am trying Butyrate for my gut issues... seems to be helping... plenty of psyllium fiber and a little cellulose fiber too... neither seems to bloat me... helps a lot with regularity...

Thanks, not sure if Rustik Oven uses good flour... and that Manna bread looks good! Can't find it at Walmart or Albertson's, my 2 main stores... do you order it online?
I am trying Butyrate for my gut issues... seems to be helping... plenty of psyllium fiber and a little cellulose fiber too... neither seems to bloat me... helps a lot with regularity...
I get the manna bread in the freezer section. It needs to be kept cold because it is so moist. It is so good toasted with lots of butter and maple syrup. When I serve it to others I tell them it is French toast and they really think is is!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals