Famotidine Increases Glycogen, Improves Glucose Metabolism

nullredvector

I am having as good or better results using taurine.
yeah taurine works pretty well for me too, but both lose their effectiveness for some reason after a couple days.

So I stopped taking famotidine a couple days ago because of my concerns above. I got curious at work and took 20mg. Instant relaxation, mood boost, and libido/motivation boost when I got home. It must have lowered my prolactin then and maybe it just has a small therapeutic range.

Peata

I'm still getting good results from taurine for more than a month. I take 3 - 4 g. per day. Glad famotidine is working well for you. I think 20 mg. was what I took.

James_001

Does anyone know if the additives in pepcid are a concern?

Where are people buying the additive free version?

thanks

Dan W

Does anyone know if the additives in pepcid are a concern?

Where are people buying the additive free version?

I'm curious about this too, I've been noting the ingredients in different brands to make a comparison page, but so far every brand is pretty junky. Maybe a compounding pharmacist could make a custom option?

Dan W

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1887750

This study seems to show that famotidine increases pH to 4.8-6.6. Not sure if this pH will stay so high if you keep using it, but if that is the case, I would say that this is not good for the digestion of proteins.

I'm far from proficient at properly reading studies, but it appears that stomach acid is reduced by 60% when using, but within 48 hours things return to normal unlike newer medications which have high acid rebound causing ulcers. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1685675

These suggest to me that it could be useful to "pulse" famotidine for people concerned about H. pylori. I'm considering 20mg every 3 days, hoping it gives some fraction of the benefits while maintaining periods of time with plenty of stomach acid.

NathanK

These suggest to me that it could be useful to "pulse" famotidine for people concerned about H. pylori. I'm considering 20mg every 3 days, hoping it gives some fraction of the benefits while maintaining periods of time with plenty of stomach acid.
Sounds like a solid approach. I may try again, but more like 20mg EOD

LukeL

@haidut is this something that can improve glycogen storage after stopping use or does one need to continue using famotidine to see the benefits?

Peata

I stopped taurine eventually, before that was famotidine. I didn't have the recurring night problems as I described above. Only rare cases. So maybe it did (one or both of them) have a lasting effect.

I started back on Pepcid 40 - 50 mg. day on Monday and by Thurs. I noticed I could go longer without food during the day, without low blood sugar symptoms.

Antonello

20mg of famotidine in the morning badly affect my digestion for the rest of the day. I’m gonna use just 20mg before bed because the glycogen storage effect is pretty cool.

Mauritio

I wonder if it only raises prolactin in special cases? I can't find the full text of the first one, but the second one is a single case of a woman accidentally taking a double dose of famotidine for 5 months, resulting in very high prolactin levels. They note:

They reference a contrasting study, though I haven't been able to find it:

Here's a couple additional ones that don't seem to find a famotidine/prolactin link, at least short-term:
Pharmacodynamics of famotidine in humans. - PubMed - NCBI
Clinical pharmacology of famotidine. - PubMed - NCBI

I think it might be due to temporarily low blood sugar from famotidine's glycogen increasing properties and I think high prolactin can also come from low blood sugar . So Increasing Glycogen storage--> lowering blood sugar --> rasing prolactin ...
just my two cents .

Velve921

I still have issues with enough liver glycogen so I can sleep through the night and not wake up to need a snack to fall back asleep.

Has anyone had success with famotodine to help with sleeping through the night and not refueling? If yes; what dosages and time of consumption has worked well for you.

for people that have used it to have better blood sugar during the day due to stored glycogen, what dosages and time of consumption has worked well for them?

thanks!

Judd Crane

Hypothyroid people have issues with glycogen storage and having a substance that can increase such storage would be helpful. "
How come hypothyroid people have issues with glycogen?

Edit: read that T3 is involved with glycogen storage and utilisation.

Last edited:

aliml

Histamine H1- and H2-receptors participate to provide metabolic energy differently​

Histamine participates in a variety of physiological functions. The local effects of histamine have a role to provide metabolic energy for the tissues. The objective of this work is to study the mechanism whereby histamine affects serum glucose and liver glycogen fractions. Six groups of 10 male rats received two injections with histamine, H1-agonist (dipyridylethylamine), H2-agonist (dimaprit), H1-agonist plus H1-antagonist (cetirizine), or H2-agonist plus H2-antagonist (famotidine). Serum glucose and liver glycogen fractions were measured. Histamine caused a significant increase in serum glucose. The effect of histamine was mimicked by selective H1-agonist but not with H2-agonist. The effect of H1-agonist was abolished in the presence of selective H1-antagonist. Treatment by H1- but not H2-agonist decreased total glycogen by about 35%. The decrease happened wholly in acid-soluble glycogen (ASG) fraction, while acid-insoluble glycogen (AIG) did not change significantly. Histamine causes to decrease glycogen in the liver and increased serum glucose. The effects of histamine were mediated via H1-receptors. ASG was metabolically active fraction of liver glycogen in this process. The results confirm the role of histamine in providing metabolic energy of the tissues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals