• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Taurine Doubles Liver Glycogen

haidut

Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
18,214
Location
USA / Europe
The dose used was not that high and is a human equivalent of 2,500mg - 3,000mg daily. The other findings of note were that a single dose of taurine was enough to produce that effect, and also that taurine increased the consumption/oxidation of glucose. Taurine induced these effects through elevation of cAMP, which is the main mechanism of action of caffeine as well. Yet another reason to combine taurine and caffeine.
Sounds like taurine could be a good alternative to famotidine for improving glycogen storage.


http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/194413

"...A single administration of taurine at a dose of 200 mg per kg of body weight increased the insulin-like activity in blood plasma, elevated two-fold the content of glycogen in liver tissue, decreased content of sugars in blood. In vitro taurine increased the consumption of glucose by isolated diaphragm and increased the insulin activity. The adenilate cyclase activity was increased in incubation mixture, containing the diaphragms and taurine added. The data obtained and the recognized insulin-like effect of 3',5'-AMP and theophylline suggest that the insulin-like action of taurine is mediated through the cyclic 3',5'-AMP."
 

aguilaroja

Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2013
Messages
836
haidut said:
The dose used was not that high and is a human equivalent of 2,500mg - 3,000mg daily. The other findings of note were that a single dose of taurine was enough to produce that effect, and also that taurine increased the consumption/oxidation of glucose. Taurine induced these effects through elevation of cAMP, which is the main mechanism of action of caffeine as well. Yet another reason to combine taurine and caffeine.
Sounds like taurine could be a good alternative to famotidine for improving glycogen storage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/194413
"...A single administration of taurine at a dose of 200 mg per kg of body weight increased the insulin-like activity in blood plasma, elevated two-fold the content of glycogen in liver tissue..."


Thanks. It is an interesting abstract. (I have no ready access to the original 1976 article.) At 200 mg/kg, would the human equivalent be in the range of 10,000 mg for this single dose finding? Perhaps the smaller amount noted is supplementation over a longer period. Different research models have been supplementing taurine with different routes and amounts.

(Please note I am only noting proportion here, NOT suggesting dosing 10 grams of taurine per day.)

Kudos to haidut for dozens of posts regarding progessive studies about taurine.

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.100 ... 15126-7_64
Taurine Accelerates Alcohol and Fat Metabolism of Rats with Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
Gaofeng Wu , Riyi Tang...
Adv Exp Med Biol. 2015;803:793-805. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-15126-7_64.
"The results indicated that taurine presumably accelerates the metabolism of alcohol and fat in the liver, thereby inhibiting and reversing hepatic fatty degeneration in AFLD rats."

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.100 ... 15126-7_56
Effects of Taurine Supplementation on Adipose Tissue of Obese Trained Rats
Ana Carolina de Almeida Martiniano , Flávia Giolo De Carvalho, Júlio Sérgio Marchini,...Ellen Cristini de Freitas
Adv Exp Med Biol. 2015;803:707-14. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-15126-7_56.
"8 weeks of taurine supplementation associated with exercise training was able to reduce visceral fat and decrease the weight of epididymal fat."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23392922
Antidepressant-like effect of chronic taurine administration and its hippocampal signal transduction in rats.
Toyoda A1, Iio W.
Adv Exp Med Biol. 2013;775:29-43. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4614-6130-2_3.
"our discoveries suggest that taurine supplementation has an antidepressant-like effect and an ability to change depression-related signaling cascades in the hippocampus."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25612506
Antidepressant dose of taurine increases mRNA expression of GABAA receptor α2 subunit and BDNF in the hippocampus of diabetic rats.
Caletti G1, Almeida FB2, Agnes G3, Nin MS4, Barros HM5, Gomez R6.
Behav Brain Res. 2015 Apr 15;283:11-5. doi: 10.1016/j.bbr.2015.01.018. Epub 2015 Jan 19.
"Wistar rats were daily injected with 100mg/kg of taurine or saline, intraperitoneally, for 30 days....Taurine also reversed the lower brain weight and improved the short-term memory in diabetic rats. Thus, the taurine antidepressant effect may be explained by interference with the GABA system, in line to its neuroprotective effect showed here by preventing brain weight loss and improving memory in diabetic rats."
 

Nicholas

Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2015
Messages
666
i have been coming across numerous studies (easy to find in a search) linking Taurine with angiogenesis. Would appreciate if you could comment on this when you can....
 

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
18,214
Location
USA / Europe
Nicholas said:
post 106532 i have been coming across numerous studies (easy to find in a search) linking Taurine with angiogenesis. Would appreciate if you could comment on this when you can....

The studies I have seen say taurine is anti-angiogenesis - i.e. VEGF inhibitor like aspirin, and especially potent in cancer cases where it most matters.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21553281

"...RESULT: No significant differences in the serum level of CA15.3 between the breast cancer patients, the high risk and the control group. TNF-α (apoptotic biomolecule) level showed a significant difference only between breast cancer group and control group. The VEGF (angiogenic biomarker) showed a highly significant difference between breast cancer patients, the high risk and the control group. Regarding the antioxidant taurine (antiangiogenic biomolecule) serum level in breast cancer group exhibited a value strongly lower than the high risk and control group. Also the correlative ratio between the angiogenic/apoptotic biomarker (VEGF/TNF-α) showed a highly significant difference between the main previous three groups. Same observation were also noticed in the correlation between angiogenic/antiangiogenic (VEGF/taurine) ratio in the same groups. Moreover the enzymatic activities of Casp-3 in the tissue homogenate were statistically higher in adjacent normal tissues than in malignant tissues. The result of immunohistochemical investigation showed a significant increase in the density of intracellular VEGF and microvessel density expressed as CD31 in cancer cases compared to normal adjacent tissue.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Nicholas

Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2015
Messages
666
haidut said:
post 106602
Nicholas said:
post 106532 i have been coming across numerous studies (easy to find in a search) linking Taurine with angiogenesis. Would appreciate if you could comment on this when you can....

The studies I have seen say taurine is anti-angiogenesis - i.e. VEGF inhibitor like aspirin, and especially potent in cancer cases where it most matters.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21553281

"...RESULT: No significant differences in the serum level of CA15.3 between the breast cancer patients, the high risk and the control group. TNF-α (apoptotic biomolecule) level showed a significant difference only between breast cancer group and control group. The VEGF (angiogenic biomarker) showed a highly significant difference between breast cancer patients, the high risk and the control group. Regarding the antioxidant taurine (antiangiogenic biomolecule) serum level in breast cancer group exhibited a value strongly lower than the high risk and control group. Also the correlative ratio between the angiogenic/apoptotic biomarker (VEGF/TNF-α) showed a highly significant difference between the main previous three groups. Same observation were also noticed in the correlation between angiogenic/antiangiogenic (VEGF/taurine) ratio in the same groups. Moreover the enzymatic activities of Casp-3 in the tissue homogenate were statistically higher in adjacent normal tissues than in malignant tissues. The result of immunohistochemical investigation showed a significant increase in the density of intracellular VEGF and microvessel density expressed as CD31 in cancer cases compared to normal adjacent tissue.

ok, thank you for commenting.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

FredSonoma

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2015
Messages
897
Is it ever possible to take amino acids topically? Like dissolve them in something and rub on skin? What about something like cypro?
 

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
18,214
Location
USA / Europe
FredSonoma said:
post 106741 Is it ever possible to take amino acids topically? Like dissolve them in something and rub on skin? What about something like cypro?

Yes, not only is it possible but studies showed all of them absorbed with 90%+ efficiency. I am thinking of adding some aminos to some of my products or making a separate amino product altogether.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
18,214
Location
USA / Europe
Taurine also apparently improves protein utilization in people eating high protein diet. So, you get both higher glycogen and better protein utilization all in one.

viewtopic.php?f=140&t=8302
 

jaa

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2012
Messages
1,035
haidut said:
Yes, not only is it possible but studies showed all of them absorbed with 90%+ efficiency. I am thinking of adding some aminos to some of my products or making a separate amino product altogether.

Does absorption = utilization? I recall a post on the forum a few weeks ago claiming that when you consume protein way less than 90% of the aminos is utilized.

Are you aware of any other advantages to applying aminos topically (e.g. repairing scar tissue?)
 

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
18,214
Location
USA / Europe
jaa said:
post 106827
haidut said:
Yes, not only is it possible but studies showed all of them absorbed with 90%+ efficiency. I am thinking of adding some aminos to some of my products or making a separate amino product altogether.

Does absorption = utilization? I recall a post on the forum a few weeks ago claiming that when you consume protein way less than 90% of the aminos is utilized.

Are you aware of any other advantages to applying aminos topically (e.g. repairing scar tissue?)

They are different but related issues. Absorption is affected primarily by small intestine function and secretion of protease. Most people do absorb protein even at high doses, but do not utilize it well for muscle protein synthesis so it increases ammonia, BUN, creatinine. The study I posted for taurine helping babies utilize protein did not say how taurine helped - i.e. did it help absorption or utilization or both. So, only experiment will show if taurine helps protein absorption as well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

jaa

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2012
Messages
1,035
haidut said:
They are different but related issues. Absorption is affected primarily by small intestine function and secretion of protease. Most people do absorb protein even at high doses, but do not utilize it well for muscle protein synthesis so it increases ammonia, BUN, creatinine. The study I posted for taurine helping babies utilize protein did not say how taurine helped - i.e. did it help absorption or utilization or both. So, only experiment will show if taurine helps protein absorption as well.

Thanks for clearing that up!
 

FredSonoma

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2015
Messages
897
haidut said:
post 106820
FredSonoma said:
post 106741 Is it ever possible to take amino acids topically? Like dissolve them in something and rub on skin? What about something like cypro?

Yes, not only is it possible but studies showed all of them absorbed with 90%+ efficiency. I am thinking of adding some aminos to some of my products or making a separate amino product altogether.

Ohh okay wow. What would I dissolve taurine or theanine in to absorb it topically?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Katty

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2013
Messages
374
haidut said:
FredSonoma said:
post 106741 Is it ever possible to take amino acids topically? Like dissolve them in something and rub on skin? What about something like cypro?

Yes, not only is it possible but studies showed all of them absorbed with 90%+ efficiency. I am thinking of adding some aminos to some of my products or making a separate amino product altogether.

Would love this! Taurine and glycine bother my stomach, so I'd love a topical product. I sometimes put them in a foot bath, but can't tell if anything is happening.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

FredSonoma

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2015
Messages
897
Katty said:
post 114175
haidut said:
FredSonoma said:
post 106741 Is it ever possible to take amino acids topically? Like dissolve them in something and rub on skin? What about something like cypro?

Yes, not only is it possible but studies showed all of them absorbed with 90%+ efficiency. I am thinking of adding some aminos to some of my products or making a separate amino product altogether.

Would love this! Taurine and glycine bother my stomach, so I'd love a topical product. I sometimes put them in a foot bath, but can't tell if anything is happening.

I dissolve L-theanine in ethanol and use it topically - but I also have no idea if it really does anything.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
12,208
Location
USA
Last edited:

milk_lover

Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2015
Messages
1,777
I still haven't an answer for this. When I eat starch (white bread) and I supplement taurine, I can go for a long time (5hours+) without feeling hungry/hunger stressed. Maybe I get little bit thirsty but definitely not hungry. But when I repeat the same thing but instead of starch, I eat simple sugar, I don't get this feeling. Is starch better than simple sugars in replenishing glycogen?
 
T

tobieagle

Guest
milk_lover said:
post 114230 I still haven't an answer for this. When I eat starch (white bread) and I supplement taurine, I can go for a long time (5hours+) without feeling hungry/hunger stressed. Maybe I get little bit thirsty but definitely not hungry. But when I repeat the same thing but instead of starch, I eat simple sugar, I don't get this feeling. Is starch better than simple sugars in replenishing glycogen?

Have you made sure that it was the same amount of sugar as starch?
So for example 100g starch vs 100g sucrose?
People often underestimate the water to nutrient ratio of their sugar sources like milk and fruit.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
johnwester130 Topical Pirfenidone - The real answer to inflammation and fibrosis. Not taurine, MSM, serrapeptase etc Hair & Nails 18
F Your Taurine experiences? Ask For Help or Advice 2
M Should cysteine and taurine both be avoided or minimized? Ask For Help or Advice 39
ddjd MSM + TAURINE very restorative for hair health (I think!) Ask For Help or Advice 10
J Glycine and taurine Ask For Help or Advice 9
M Bile deficiency- what to do when taurine and lemon juice are absolutely not tolerated ? Ask For Help or Advice 7
M Taurine alternative option for bile improvement ? Ask For Help or Advice 17
M Taurine vs tudca for digestion and liver health Ask For Help or Advice 11
F Did you noticed better glycogen taking taurine? Metabolism 0
ddjd Taurine causes nerve pain issues. Niacinamide heals. What's the mechanism?? Ask For Help or Advice 18
M Does taurine increase stomach acid or not? Ask For Help or Advice 3
Lokzo Taurine NUKES Social Anxiety...Via Oxytocin + GABA. Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 5
MyUsernameHere Topical taurine, anyone tried? Hair & Nails 4
Broken man Taurine prevents tamoxifen-induced mitochondrial oxidative damage in mice Scientific Studies 4
R High dose taurine long-term 3-5G per day? Taurine 2
R Taurine increases endothelial nitric oxide synthase Scientific Studies 7
Frankdee20 Taurine and Choline for Cholesterol ? Cholesterol 4
IROM Alpecin shampoo: Caffeine, Taurine and Niacinamide (are corporations on to Peating?) Hair & Nails 9
ddjd why did Taurine give me permanent Sciatic nerve damage? Ask For Help or Advice 16
Lokzo Taurine: Health Benefits Explained (Oxytocin, Liver Health, Cardiovascular System & Exercise) Amino Acids 5
F Dry Skin From Taurine? Skin 2
F Taurine Side Effect? Ask For Help or Advice 4
S Taurine Experience (So Far . ) Supplements 12
ddjd High Dose Taurine Definitely Effective Against MPB Ask For Help or Advice 17
C Taurine From LifeGivingStore Amino Acids 2
ddjd Powerful Combination: Taurine + B2 Riboflavin R-5-P Ask For Help or Advice 0
ddjd Can Taurine Deplete Choline Levels? Ask For Help or Advice 3
fever257 Taurine Issues - Please Help Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 14
J Taurine And Libido Ask For Help or Advice 36
Mauritio Taurine Effective Against Endotoxin/ Liver Damage Scientific Studies 18
F Taurine Improves Kidney Function (eGFR, Edema, Hyperuricemia) Scientific Studies 40
D Taurine Or L-Taurine Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 3
ddjd High Quality USP Taurine Powder In UK/europe? Ask For Help or Advice 15
ddjd Anyone Experiment With High Dose Taurine? Ask For Help or Advice 105
Ficini High Dose Taurine To Reverse Tinnitus Eyes, Ears, Nose and Headaches/Migraines 33
D Taurine Is Causing Bile Acid Problems Taurine 12
H Taurine And The Pineal Gland Taurine 1
Lokzo Has TUDCA Or Taurine Increased Your Thyroid Hormones? Thyroid and Hormones 11
K Taurine-induced Prolactin Secretion? Amino Acids 8
Cirion Taurine Content Of Foods Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 4
M Taurine Vs. Glycine Regarding Gallstones? Supplements 6
C Pregnenolone + Taurine + Glycine Pregnenolone 6
RePeatRePeat More Info On Taurine And Constipation, Please Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 58
J Taurine Constipation Taurine 12
Gadreel Is Taurine A Better Dopamine Booster Or Test Booster? Taurine 12
Cameron Next Expirement Taurine Tribulus And Forskolin Best Stack Male Issues 30
J Measuring Taurine Dosage Taurine 2
GutFeeling Taurine Levels In Blood And Urine Of Vitamin B6-deficient And Estrogen-treated Rats Scientific Studies 0
H Taurine Ameliorates Thyroid Hypofunction And Renal Injury In L-NAME-Induced Hypertensive Rats. 2018 Scientific Studies 1
Cameron Taurine And Red Bull Daily Increasing Rate Of Morning Wood And Libido Strength Gains Unreal Diet 11

Similar threads

Top