Taurine Doubles Liver Glycogen

Hgreen56

I still haven't an answer for this. When I eat starch (white bread) and I supplement taurine, I can go for a long time (5hours+) without feeling hungry/hunger stressed. Maybe I get little bit thirsty but definitely not hungry. But when I repeat the same thing but instead of starch, I eat simple sugar, I don't get this feeling. Is starch better than simple sugars in replenishing glycogen?
how much taurine did you take?

youngsinatra

At first I got some GI distress by taurine supplementation, but I've found out that taurine dissolved in hot water fixes this problem for me.
When I dissolve it in cold water, it seems to stay in a crystalline form, while in hot liquid it completely dissolves. I am just wondering if the heat degrades taurine.

Ismail

At first I got some GI distress by taurine supplementation, but I've found out that taurine dissolved in hot water fixes this problem for me.
When I dissolve it in cold water, it seems to stay in a crystalline form, while in hot liquid it completely dissolves. I am just wondering if the heat degrades taurine.
Did you ever find out if the heat degrades the taurine?

Looks like the BBC have finally caught on:

iMusclebuild

The dose used was not that high and is a human equivalent of 2,500mg - 3,000mg daily. The other findings of note were that a single dose of taurine was enough to produce that effect, and also that taurine increased the consumption/oxidation of glucose. Taurine induced these effects through elevation of cAMP, which is the main mechanism of action of caffeine as well. Yet another reason to combine taurine and caffeine.
Sounds like taurine could be a good alternative to famotidine for improving glycogen storage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/194413

"...A single administration of taurine at a dose of 200 mg per kg of body weight increased the insulin-like activity in blood plasma, elevated two-fold the content of glycogen in liver tissue, decreased content of sugars in blood. In vitro taurine increased the consumption of glucose by isolated diaphragm and increased the insulin activity. The adenilate cyclase activity was increased in incubation mixture, containing the diaphragms and taurine added. The data obtained and the recognized insulin-like effect of 3',5'-AMP and theophylline suggest that the insulin-like action of taurine is mediated through the cyclic 3',5'-AMP."
Hi, Haidut. Do you think it matters what time of day you take the taurine??

ThinPicking

I was a little shocked to find this on the front page of BBC News. Seems strange the editors would approve a report on this study, while the near constant stream of other studies done on other isolated micronutrients and showing positive effects go unmentioned.

Peatress

Lots of other mainstream outlets covering this story, including the Guardian. I noticed the Wellcome is part of the funding body for the study. I'm not sure what to make of it but it's just an observation.

Funding: This work was funded by a Nathan Shock Center of Excellence in the Basic Biology of Aging Project Grant (V.K.Y.); National Institutes of Health (NIH) R01HD107574 (V.K.Y.); Wellcome 098051 (V.K.Y.); Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) 450149205-TRR333/1 (P.B., H.W.); NIH P30AG013280 (M.K.); NIH T32AG066574 (M.G.K.); Institut National Du Cancer (INCa) PLBIO21-228 (M.G.F.); Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) STR/2019/00064 (A.M.); Department of Biotechnology (DBT) BT/PR40325/BTIS/137/1/2020 (B.K.B.); a Longevity Impetus Grant (A.K.); Academy of Finland Center of Excellence in Complex Disease Genetics grant nos. 312074, 336824, and 352793 (A.P.); The Sigrid Juselius Foundation (A.P.); a Larry L. Hillblom Foundation Fellowship (M.C.); Victorian Cancer Agency (VCA) Fellowship nos. ECRF21036 (S.M.) and MCRF21002 (B.P.); and a DBT Ramalingaswamy Fellowship (V.K.Y.).

Beatrix_

I was a little shocked to find this on the front page of BBC News. Seems strange the editors would approve a report on this study, while the near constant stream of other studies done on other isolated micronutrients and showing positive effects go unmentioned.

@Peatress
"Taurine is also an agonist of γ-aminobutyric acid type A (GABAA) and/or glycine receptors"

This may be an explanation as to why MgTau worked so much better for me when paired with MgGly

Mauritio

Exactly my thoughts too.
i also saw it on the frontpage of newspage in german (where i have a mail account) they usually only report the most average ukraine/ celebitry bull**** stuff ,but they also reported on the taurine thing, weird...

dukesbobby777

Yeah, I think it's being talked about because people hear about taurine being in these energy drinks. It's not only in red bull. It's in other energy drinks as well, along with the caffeine.

Otherwise, the vast majority of average Joe's would never have heard about it, nor would the media be interested in it. They are interested in things like resveratrol and red wine (because that's cool apparantly).

Beatrix_

Which brand of MaTau do you use?
Sorry, I get it from my local compounding pharmacy where they fill the capsules with the substance of my choice with nothing else added. I have given up buying powders because they get humid too quickly.

Ismail

i also saw it on the frontpage of newspage in german (where i have a mail account) they usually only report the most average ukraine/ celebitry bull**** stuff ,but they also reported on the taurine thing, weird...

Hey buddy, hope you’re well! Yeh it is a little confusing that it’s become somewhat “mainstream”.

Yeah, I think it's being talked about because people hear about taurine being in these energy drinks. It's not only in red bull. It's in other energy drinks as well, along with the caffeine.

Otherwise, the vast majority of average Joe's would never have heard about it, nor would the media be interested in it. They are interested in things like resveratrol and red wine (because that's cool apparantly).

That’s a good point actually 👌

Ismail

Sorry, I get it from my local compounding pharmacy where they fill the capsules with the substance of my choice with nothing else added. I have given up buying powders because they get humid too quickly.
Interesting, never knew this even existed, do you mind me asking which country you live in?

Kray

I still take on average 2 grams per day, usually after a meal.
Can you give an update on taurine? Are you still taking the same dose, and seeing benefits? Is it something you should take a break from?

milk_lover

Can you give an update on taurine? Are you still taking the same dose, and seeing benefits? Is it something you should take a break from?
I don’t take the supplement anymore, what I do is sometimes I take a Redbull after a heavy meal (1000 mg taurine along with other goodies and bad stuff)

Kray

Any urgent reason you stopped, or just felt balanced without? Thanks for getting back to me!

chanlaw

Liver can store 100g glycogen.

Does it mean taurine makes that 100g storage into 200g storage capability? Or does it mean it makes 20g storage capability towards 100g, so doubling it to 40g?

Do you happen to know how many carb unit does one glycogen mean? Does one glycogen unit mean 1gram of carb?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals