Dissolved pills: do you drink the water or eat the powder?

ilovethesea

According to this old thread, you're supposed to throw away the water and eat the powder that sinks to the bottom: viewtopic.php?t=175&p=3023

I'm being advised on my allergy thread to do the opposite - drink the water, throw away the powder: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3394

Which is correct? Has anyone asked Ray Peat about this? I am concerned about excipients in cyproheptadine but now totally confused about which way gets rid of them. I don't want to end up throwing away the most important part of the pill!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Dissolved pills: do you drink the water or eat the powde

Discard the starch, which is the stuff that wont dissolve. Some people filter it.

OP
I

ilovethesea

Charlie said:
Discard the starch, which is the stuff that wont dissolve. Some people filter it.

Ok so why would she say:

peatarian said:
True. But that's why I use Bayer Aspirin. It dissolves within seconds in cold water and sinks to the ground of the spoon or glass.

peatarian said:
I pour away the water at least twice, usually three times and only use the white powder on the bottom.

??

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Good question.

juanitacarlos

I could be wrong, but I think aspirin is only ever so slightly water soluble, so the white powder sinking to the bottom is probably the aspirin. If you have bought pure aspirin powder, you will notice how difficult it is to dissolve in water. The water has to be absolutely boiling to completely dissolve. I'm assuming bayer aspirin is one of those effervescent tablets, so after the tablet 'dissolves' I'd assume that all that is left is aspirin which would sink to the bottom.

For other drugs that ARE water soluble, then you would get rid of the gunk, and just use the liquid, but not for aspirin as discussed by Peatarian.

Peata

I'm glad this is getting cleared up. I didn't see the post by Peatarian before, and when I dissolved aspirin I drank the water and threw out the white particles at the bottom of the cup. I still got aspirin in my system though - I could feel that hint of stomach irritation if I didn't have food in my stomach when drinking this water.

Mittir

Charlie said:

I think source of the misunderstanding is the RP quote from DR page.
I believe we already discussed this in previous posts.

Ray Peat said:
Because of contaminants in supplements I seldom recommend the oral use of any of them, except aspirin, which can be dissolved in warm water to remove most of the additives.

Someone asked this same question in a KMUD interview .RP's response was to
dissolve the aspirin in warm water and let the sediments settle at the bottom.
Then drink the sour water. He also recommended in other places water solution of Aspirin
on skin and Aspirin bath. So Aspirin has to be water soluble.
According to wikipedia Aspirin is water soluble : 3 mg/mL (20 °C)
But it is also soluble in other chemicals
Wikipedia said:
Acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) decomposes rapidly in solutions of ammonium acetate or of the acetates, carbonates, citrates or hydroxides of the alkali metals. ASA is stable in dry air, but gradually hydrolyses in contact with moisture to acetic and salicylic acids. In solution with alkalis, the hydrolysis proceeds rapidly and the clear solutions formed may consist entirely of acetate and salicylate.[104][104]

himsahimsa

At 3mg/ml, 325 milligrams of aspirin will completely dissolve in 108.3 milliliters of water. That's 3 and 2/3 fluid ounces. Call it a half cup.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

I remember Peat saying to drink the sour water. Going with Peat, Mittir, and himsahimsa on this one, aspirin seems to dissolve really easy in water. Whats left is mostly starch.

J

j.

Possibly people get some aspirin either way.

Lin

How do you know how much aspirin to take? In reading the forum posts, it seems like different people are taking wildly different amounts...

Blossom

Forum Supporter

It seems highly individual. I had a lot more pain in the beginning so I let that be my guide personally. I do believe that we should all probably stay under 5000 mg. It seems building up to the higher dosage is always a good plan if you opt for taking it that way. Always keeping enough Vitamin K in the diet is necessary too. I'm glad to see you around Lin!

Mittir

@Blossom
I think when we talk about Aspirin use, we should warn people about
possible side effects of Aspirin : stomach ulcers, life threatening
breathing difficulty ( A result of aspirin induced asthma),
nose bleeding etc. I feel like a lot of people do not do enough
research before starting supplements. Some one might see 5 grams of Aspirin here
and will try it in one dose. One of our member here ended up in ER after
taking several Aspirin . Since side effects of Aspirin
can be quite extreme i always stay away from talking about Aspirin and
if i do i add all the warnings.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Mittir said:
@Blossom
I think when we talk about Aspirin use, we should warn people about
possible side effects of Aspirin : stomach ulcers, life threatening
breathing difficulty ( A result of aspirin induced asthma),
nose bleeding etc. I feel like a lot of people do not do enough
research before starting supplements. Some one might see 5 grams of Aspirin here
and will try it in one dose. One of our member here ended up in ER after
taking several Aspirin . Since side effects of Aspirin
can be quite extreme i always stay away from talking about Aspirin and
if i do i add all the warnings.
Point well taken Mittir. :D

J

j.

Regarding side effects, the same applies to everything. I think even progesterone should have a warning for people with low aldosterone, such as those with damaged adrenal glands.

I notice Peat doesn't give a lot of warnings, but he didn't choose to become the doctor of the world or something like that. He just discusses some parts of what he discovered.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Blossom said:
It seems highly individual. I had a lot more pain in the beginning so I let that be my guide personally. I do believe that we should all probably stay under 5000 mg. It seems building up to the higher dosage is always a good plan if you opt for taking it that way. Always keeping enough Vitamin K in the diet is necessary too. I'm glad to see you around Lin!
My reply to Lin was simply to point out that there are no clear cut guidelines like much of a Peat inspired approach. I feel it is worth pointing out that Peat in his uniquely nonauthoritarian manner most likely takes this stance because we are all different and must truly find what works for our own situation. He also gives people the benefit of the doubt that they will do the sensible thing which unfortunately doesn't always happen. I do hate to see a lot of unfounded fears circulate about various aspects of this approach. There are real risks in many things in life and a person shouldn't eat or take something they are allergic to just because it recommended by Peat. Following his work and implementing changes brings with it self responsibility because there is no longer an authority figure to blame or sue if you screw up. I'm all for continued sharing and keeping each individuals experience in context so everyone can learn and grow.
My response obviously did not come across as intended and I do apologize for that. I never intended my post to be the final input on the topic. I bow to the expertise of those who have much more experience than I do. I basically wanted Lin to know that it would be up to her to figure out how much aspirin she should take, to build up her dose gradually to avoid complications, and to be aware of vitamin K status. The warning about not going over 5,000 mg should have probably been left out since it could be misconstrued as a recommendation. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Lin

Thanks for all the responses! Actually, I don't have any pain, (unless I take Progest-e, which gives me a headache) and I take 325 mg of aspirin a day, because aspirin is recommended, but I was wondering if it is the right amount.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Only you can decide. If you would like to stick to that dose you could cut the tablet in 1/4(if you are using tablets) and spread it out throughout the day to try to keep some in your system more of the time. That's just an idea. I'm happy to hear you don't have pain, that's always a plus! There are so many options and I think getting a variety of input is always helpful imo.

Lin

Thanks, Blossom! So, it is important to have it in my system throughout the day?

Blossom

Forum Supporter

I could only surmise that for some it might be desirable to have aspirin intake spread out instead of just one dose for example. I'm not aware of Peat recommending this specifically though it is only what I choose to do. I personally like to have aspirin at regular intervals. For me it has been a valuable addition to this approach. I just thought I would mention that you could have your aspirin spread throughout the day even if you decide to stay with the current amount of about one tablet ( you don't necessarily have to go higher in your dose). I believe in the benefits of aspirin for my context so I do like to keep it circulating as much as possible. You should always feel empowered to use the diet and supplements as you see fit for your own situation. I think that is in line with the spirit of Peat-to empower us to take our health into our own hands and have confidence in our ability to do so. So you can cut the aspirin up if you wish, or not, it's totally up to you!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals