Dioscorea villosa and other female support

bookshelf

My naturopath has been doing a good job at helping me whittle down a list of challenging issues I have been dealing with over the last few months. I still have a ways to go and some things may be out of her scope but, so far, what she's offered has actually worked or at least helped. That being said, this is one of the supplements she now wants me to add to the line up for a bit to help with supporting and balancing the female hormones. I have explicitly said I do not want to take any estrogen and I feel she understands that. She seems at least tangentially familiar with RP's work and seems to respect it.

The below is something she said would support the body's production, use, and/or storage of estrogen; it's not actually outright taking it (as with pharmaceuticals, pills, creams, etc). I am still concerned, though, especially about the Dioscorea villosa which, if I understand correctly doesn't convert right some how and could cause some kind of problems. I don't believe I would be on it long (possibly 1-2 months) just to help right the ship (as I've said, I've had a number of things going off) but the last thing I want to do is eliminate one set of issues with a new set of issues either now or down the road.

I'm not finding a whole lot on the Dioscorea villosa to help me articulate my concerns and, quite frankly, what little I've seen is over my pay grade. Is it because there's nothing to worry about?

I believe she'd said that, while the number is much lower than what mainstream advertises, women do still need to have at least a certain amount of estrogen to remain in balance, for bone health, and other essential functions.

Am I getting wrapped around the axle or is this something I should say a hard no to?

What exactly is the ideal number for estrogen (estrone, estradiol, etc.) and progesterone (and other related hormones)? I'm sure having none is probably not a good idea. What's too much?

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 3.03.01 PM.png

mostlylurking

I believe she'd said that, while the number is much lower than what mainstream advertises, women do still need to have at least a certain amount of estrogen to remain in balance, for bone health, and other essential functions.
Ray Peat has said that the sole purpose of estrogen is to create inflammation. If you are trying to get pregnant, estrogen release will inflame the uterine wall to facilitate implantation. I think the idea that estrogen improves bone health simply isn't true and is just the latest ploy by the estrogen industry to sell estrogen.
Am I getting wrapped around the axle or is this something I should say a hard no to?
Yes, I think you're getting wrapped around the axle. More research on your part should make it a lot easier to reply with a hard no. The following audio shows are very informative and should bolster the courage to just say no.

What exactly is the ideal number for estrogen (estrone, estradiol, etc.) and progesterone (and other related hormones)? I'm sure having none is probably not a good idea. What's too much?
I've heard Ray Peat say that ideally, progesterone should be 100 times greater than estrogen. Somewhere....
bioenergetic search Use this link to learn what Peat has said about this.
This search is also helpful: bioenergetic search

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Ray Peat has said that the sole purpose of estrogen is to create inflammation. If you are trying to get pregnant, estrogen release will inflame the uterine wall to facilitate implantation. I think the idea that estrogen improves bone health simply isn't true and is just the latest ploy by the estrogen industry to sell estrogen.

Yes, I think you're getting wrapped around the axle. More research on your part should make it a lot easier to reply with a hard no. The following audio shows are very informative and should bolster the courage to just say no.

I've heard Ray Peat say that ideally, progesterone should be 100 times greater than estrogen. Somewhere....
bioenergetic search Use this link to learn what Peat has said about this.
This search is also helpful: bioenergetic search
Wonderfully helpful, thank you.

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Now I'm wondering about a few other herbal/natural preps I'm taking if any one of those ingredients might also encourage estrogen. Oh gosh, I feel like I can't escape the hole I'm in for trying. If I'm taking something to help one situation, it can create another problem on the back end. It's exhausting chasing every ingredient down as some concoctions have many.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals