Bone density

Orius

Hi everyone. A little bit of background... I'm late 30s and have a history of severe autoimmune that required corticosteroids which damaged my lumbar spine and hip bone density. I'm in the very beginning of osteoporosis in those regions now. Fortunately, my autoimmune has been conquered and I'm in lasting remission, so it's possible to slowly regain density.

Because my biological clock is ticking I want to tackle the bone density issue now. I've been going to the gym 4-5 days a week doing moderate to heavy lifts, rotating my muscle groups. I'm 192cm, 88.4kg and about 8% body fat. I got a bone scan a month ago and despite all this lifting, a high mineral diet and supplements, my bone density has barely changed. I'm not interested in taking pharmaceuticals like fosamax because their side effects are very gnarly and may not help the bones.
This brings me to steroids. I've used DHEA and pregnenolone in the past to help bone density and I did make some modest gains within a couple of years, but it was too slow going and the estrogen spillover was a problem.

A friend recommended a SARM to me because of the rapid bone density improvements it offers, but they seem like a deal with the devil and I've decided it's not for me. That brings me to T and possibly hcg. I have an endocrinologist I see but she doesn't support my desire to go on cycle. Yet she also says that, as I enter my 40s, the ability to recover the osteo in my spine will be more and more difficult. So I kind of need to address this now.

Given my goals, are T and hcg the best approach? If anyone with a lot more experience than me has some suggestions, I would appreciate them. I have a health sciences / biochemistry background so feel free to talk high level if you want. Reading literature isn't a problem, what I really need is experienced feedback. Thanks a million!

David PS

@Orius - I purchased a biometric scale and I have been using it to monitor my bone weight for several years. Bone density is bone weight divided by bone volume. I have not lost any height so basically if my my bone weight goes up so does my bone density. The advantage to the biometric scale is that there is no radiation involved and you do not need to schedule an appointment. One might scoff at the use of an electronic scale but I was only looking for directionality. My bone weight was increasing.

One month is not enough time to see a change. Your MD will not schedule another DEXA scan for perhaps another year; because that is how long it takes to see a meaningful change. My story and the scale that I use is in this thread.

You might consider photobiomodulation to assist in your journey:

Also, getting enough protein in your diet is very important. Protein is the scaffolding that the minerals attach to increase bone weight. You need both minerals and protein. It appears that collagen might be good for your bones (see pie chart).
c471634b1292b3d7ea3231bdb48a33a4.jpg

Your body will increase bone mass in areas that you need it. You can use Wolff's law to try to direct it.

Not all calcium is created equal. Eggshell calcium has been shown to be benefical for the bone mineral density (BMD) of the neck of the femoral head.

Positive effects of a chicken eggshell powder-enriched vitamin–mineral supplement on femoral neck bone mineral density in healthy late post-menopausal Dutch women
The present study indicates that healthy late post-menopausal women with an adequate Ca intake at baseline may increase BMD of the hip within 12 months following supplementation with the chicken eggshell powder-enriched supplement.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals