Criticisms of the Ray Peat pro-metabolic bioenergetic nutrition strategy

yerrag

Here is a pic of my AMAZING cupcakes! My strategy for them is to bake them, frost them, all from scratch, eat ONE, then decorate the rest and give them away to someone who needs cheering. If they stayed in my house I would eat one everyday, and have a muffin top to show for it. So I appreciate the sugar starch combo the same as next person :)
That is awesome. I need some cheering lol!

I was thinking of a cake btw. I see you got the chiffon cake and you have the icing. Ray Peat is the cake, and we have to make the icing to make it whole. Cheers with eggnog!

That is awesome. I need some cheering lol!

I was thinking of a cake btw. I see you got the chiffon cake and you have the icing. Ray Peat is the cake, and we have to make the icing to make it whole. Cheers with eggnog!
Awsw I like that! Yerrag you really have the right attitude towards wanting to do it right. Just know that if I had I not already been convinced of how bad grains are on health before ever knowing Ray Peat I would be just like you are, asking lots of questions before giving up so many thing I love. Carry on my friend!

yerrag

Awsw I like that! Yerrag you really have the right attitude towards wanting to do it right. Just know that if I had I not already been convinced of how bad grains are on health before ever knowing Ray Peat I would be just like you are, asking lots of questions before giving up so many thing I love. Carry on my friend!
I'd love to see more glowing people like you when I go to a health food shop. When I was living in the US, every time I walk in I would say then that there is a great need for more health stores, seeing how many people look so "healthy" in their youth - white, dry, and lifeless hair and I'll just stop there lol

I'd love to see more glowing people like you when I go to a health food shop. When I was living in the US, every time I walk in I would say then that there is a great need for more health stores, seeing how many people look so "healthy" in their youth - white, dry, and lifeless hair and I'll just stop there lol
Sounds like you are describing vegans and other dieters ? They spend so much time trying get thin and look old and crappy when they get there. Such an awful cycle. Let's just all get healthy!

Epeatcurious

I don't follow anybody mm33. I just adhere solely to Ray Peat's words. No sense trying complicate things for myself with differing opinions when Ray Peat has cured me of all my complaints. Thanks though for the good options. Freeing up time listing to Ray Peat has my plate full :)
Any suggestions on videos to watch? I'm a total newbie and as much as I'm having fun trying to read his blog, I wouldn't mind something I can listen to...

Any suggestions on videos to watch? I'm a total newbie and as much as I'm having fun trying to read his blog, I wouldn't mind something I can listen to...
You know Luna I don't watch any videos, but I do go onto YouTube and listen to Ray Peat's interviews. I joined about 3 months ago and try to break down what I know into easy to read stuff in my posts. I try to post a new one every week, you may find them interesting :)

Epeatcurious

You know Luna I don't watch any videos, but I do go onto YouTube and listen to Ray Peat's interviews. I joined about 3 months ago and try to break down what I know into easy to read stuff in my posts. I try to post a new one every week, you may find them interesting :)

So you just search "Ray Peat" on YouTube and take it from there? I can just search for your posts on here?

Doc Sandoz

Agreed - fat loss is an individual thing - Ray has been very helpful, but you still have to follow on with your own observations and experiments.

For myself, just like the people of my mother's yesteryear who were "slimming" - it's a matter of cutting way back on the starch - any starch. I've tried every food combo including keto which "worked" for a while, and sometimes I felt light and good although also prone to feel terrible and stressed like I was either over-amped on speed or crashing from it. While I tended to lose fat, I could never stay on keto very long before I snapped and the fat bounced right back.

A primary symptom experienced when eating "normally" was - eat any meal with much starch and it was off to the couch for a catnap within half an hour. Upon awakening BP would be high and temperature below the usual range. I thought for a long time that was only because the fast rate of glucose absorption caused an insulin spike, but there were other symptoms that were much longer lasting and getting ever more severe with age - anxiety, depression, lethargy, loss of mojo, sex drive and so forth - basically a slow energy death. When i realized from Ray that there were effects other than insulin spikes caused by starch - particularly feeding bacteria, producing a surge of endotoxin, I began to focus more on starch itself as the major culprit. I also learned from Ray that robust oxidative metabolism is maintained only by carbs, and therefore not all carbs can be bad. So forget keto!

Other than those short bouts of keto, it didn't seem I could lose fat no matter how hard and long I restricted calories, but the simple replacement of starches by sugars in juices, fruit, honey, Mexican coke, (while doing the usual dietary necessaries like keeping fats low, avoiding PUFA as much as possible and striving for 100 g of protein a day) on a 1500 to 2000 cal/day intake saw the relatively painless melting away of my mid-section fat stores, along with the reduction of the other low energy symptoms. I should note that I had previously vastly increased Ca and Vit D and, in replacing some muscle meat wth collagen and milk products, absorbed less P and "bad" aminos, but this alone did not have any dramatic effect on fat stores.

I'd long associated what I called "feeling fat" with depressive, anxious, disgusted-with-myself feelings and "feeling thin" with the opposite, feeling young, positive and energetic. I thought this was all "only psychological" having grown up during the mid-1960s when "thin was in", but now thanks to Ray and my own experiments, I know there is a major physical and energetic component that operates in tandem with all that psychology - and a relatively simple and straight-forward solution, at least for me.

Agreed - fat loss is an individual thing - Ray has been very helpful, but you still have to follow on with your own observations and experiments.

For myself, just like the people of my mother's yesteryear who were "slimming" - it's a matter of cutting way back on the starch - any starch. I've tried every food combo including keto which "worked" for a while, and sometimes I felt light and good although also prone to feel terrible and stressed like I was either over-amped on speed or crashing from it. While I tended to lose fat, I could never stay on keto very long before I snapped and the fat bounced right back.

A primary symptom experienced when eating "normally" was - eat any meal with much starch and it was off to the couch for a catnap within half an hour. Upon awakening BP would be high and temperature below the usual range. I thought for a long time that was only because the fast rate of glucose absorption caused an insulin spike, but there were other symptoms that were much longer lasting and getting ever more severe with age - anxiety, depression, lethargy, loss of mojo, sex drive and so forth - basically a slow energy death. When i realized from Ray that there were effects other than insulin spikes caused by starch - particularly feeding bacteria, producing a surge of endotoxin, I began to focus more on starch itself as the major culprit. I also learned from Ray that robust oxidative metabolism is maintained only by carbs, and therefore not all carbs can be bad. So forget keto!

Other than those short bouts of keto, it didn't seem I could lose fat no matter how hard and long I restricted calories, but the simple replacement of starches by sugars in juices, fruit, honey, Mexican coke, (while doing the usual dietary necessaries like keeping fats low, avoiding PUFA as much as possible and striving for 100 g of protein a day) saw the relatively painless melting away of my mid-section fat stores, along with the reduction of the other low energy symptoms. I should note that I had previously vastly increased Ca and Vit D and, in replacing some muscle meat wth collagen and milk products, absorbed less P and "bad" aminos, but this alone did not have any dramatic effect on fat stores.

I'd long associated what I called "feeling fat" with depressive, anxious, disgusted-with-myself feelings and "feeling thin" with the opposite, feeling young, positive and energetic. I thought this was all "only psychological" having grown up during the mid-1960s when "thin was in", but now thanks to Ray and my own experiments, I know there is a major physical and energetic component that operates in tandem with all that psychology - and a relatively simple and straight-forward solution, at least for me.
Oh I hate that feeling of "feeling fat"! Then you look in the mirror and everything looks fine. It is a heaviness isn't it, not being so light on ones feet.

Doc Sandoz

Oh I hate that feeling of "feeling fat"! Then you look in the mirror and everything looks fine. It is a heaviness isn't it, not being so light on ones feet.
Yes, a heavy, weighed down, and as my parents used to put it "logey" feeling, clothes feeling tight while skin feels puffy and overstuffed, other less articulable feelings of grossness and loathing. For me the actual gestalt of my body as seen in the mirror differs dramatically depending on feeling fat or thin. Strange how psychological, physical and even perceptual angles are all mixed up in what at base is a biochemical condition.

mm33

Forum Supporter
So you just search "Ray Peat" on YouTube and take it from there? I can just search for your posts on here?
Hey Luna you can watch Danny Roddy youtube videos - he's done around 57 or 58 with Georgi and/or Ray and it's all about Ray Peat's teachings.
Rinse & rePeat when i click your link it goes to my started threads so not sure how to get to yours. I'd love to read all of your posts as I always learn a lot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210620-145001_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210620-145001_Outlook.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210620-144951_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210620-144951_Outlook.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20210620-144945_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210620-144945_Outlook.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 9
Hey Luna you can watch Danny Roddy youtube videos - he's done around 57 or 58 with Georgi and/or Ray and it's all about Ray Peat's teachings.
Rinse & rePeat when i click your link it goes to my started threads so not sure how to get to yours. I'd love to read all of your posts as I always learn a lot.
Thank you mm33 for the wonderful compliment! It makes me want to write more :)

Juandelacruz

I can agree on the PUFA and chemicals, but starches I have to qualify that. People who traditionally eat rice don't get overweight. They become overweight when they began using PUFAs for cooking, substituting saturated fats with the "heart-healthy" soya and corn and canola oils that are PUFAs.

I'm not sure about wheat. Even in the US, the current land of overweight and obesity, people were lean in much earlier generations even on wheat. But then, it could be they ate bread from wheat varieties that were not hybridized.

Were the native Mexicans always so plump? Or did eating modern corn varieties thst are also GMO make them so? Plus the PUFAs.

But outside of these usual suspects, there is also the bacterial aspect. I've always been lean, until 3 years when my blood sugar OGTT curve got out of whack. It got thst way from increased systemic bacterial infection. The bacterial enzymes messed with how my pancreas secreted insulin. I'm still dealing with the infection as it involves a colony of synergistic bacteria and fungi ganging up against me. This is outside Ray, Danny, and Georgi's scope.

They can't help me more than they already did. The doctors can't help me. I have to go outside the stock answers in RPF.

This is what I meant because if the stock advice is followed and it still doesn't work, don't give up and don't say it's wrong. Don't shift to keto. It's not going to get. better. It means there's something else going on.

Find the root cause and once found, work on eliminating that cause.
Yerrag, your location says Manila. Are you in the Philippines? I'm curious if folks there still use coconut oil for cooking or have they been brainwashed into using PUFA oils also like the rest of the world?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals