Criticisms of the Ray Peat pro-metabolic bioenergetic nutrition strategy

yerrag

Yerrag, your location says Manila. Are you in the Philippines? I'm curious if folks there still use coconut oil for cooking or have they been brainwashed into using PUFA oils also like the rest of the world?
In the Philippines.

Our coconut oils are packed in containers that say "vegetable oil." That says it all I think. I had to look at the labelling to find coconut oil written. People believe the "heart-healthy" propaganda enough for refined coconut oil to have to be sold as vegetable oil. Soya oil, corn oil, and canola oil - needless to say - sell well and are priced competitively with coconut oil. The awareness level is just the same as that in the US here, of coconut oil being good, but the oil is more easily purchased here as it's available in all supermarkets. What remains hard to find is hydrogenated coconut oil, which is called "lard" although lard is the oil from pigs. I had to go to either the oil mill or the wholesaler to buy it, as no consumer looks for it, as the thinking is it is a "bad" oil that clogs the arteries.

I use the hydrogenated coconut oil for deep frying pork small intestines and anchovies and small cuttle fish. They're very good finger foods that go well with beer and wine, but I have them also for meals. But because HCO is solid at room temperature, people are scared of using them and end up using soya oil or corn oil for that. Regular refine coconut oil has a lower flash point because of the lower molecular weight oils in them (short chain and medium chain sat fats) so it doesn't work well for deep frying, so that is a reason that some people may buy soya or corn oil as it does better than refined coconut oil for deep frying.

Deep frying requires temperatures of 190C to fry well. But the flash point of Refined Coconut Oil is lower than that, so the temperature has to be lower (or the oil starts to smoke) but that leaves the food oily. Deep fried food done correctly is crispy and must feel dry to the touch and not oily.

Juandelacruz

In the Philippines.

Our coconut oils are packed in containers that say "vegetable oil." That says it all I think. I had to look at the labelling to find coconut oil written. People believe the "heart-healthy" propaganda enough for refined coconut oil to have to be sold as vegetable oil. Soya oil, corn oil, and canola oil - needless to say - sell well and are priced competitively with coconut oil. The awareness level is just the same as that in the US here, of coconut oil being good, but the oil is more easily purchased here as it's available in all supermarkets. What remains hard to find is hydrogenated coconut oil, which is called "lard" although lard is the oil from pigs. I had to go to either the oil mill or the wholesaler to buy it, as no consumer looks for it, as the thinking is it is a "bad" oil that clogs the arteries.

I use the hydrogenated coconut oil for deep frying pork small intestines and anchovies and small cuttle fish. They're very good finger foods that go well with beer and wine, but I have them also for meals. But because HCO is solid at room temperature, people are scared of using them and end up using soya oil or corn oil for that. Regular refine coconut oil has a lower flash point because of the lower molecular weight oils in them (short chain and medium chain sat fats) so it doesn't work well for deep frying, so that is a reason that some people may buy soya or corn oil as it does better than refined coconut oil for deep frying.

Deep frying requires temperatures of 190C to fry well. But the flash point of Refined Coconut Oil is lower than that, so the temperature has to be lower (or the oil starts to smoke) but that leaves the food oily. Deep fried food done correctly is crispy and must feel dry to the touch and not oily.
Yerrag, thanks for the information/education. I’ve been away from the Philippines for too long (40+ years). Been living here in the USA since the 80’s since I left the Philippines and I’ve been curious if our kababayans have been able to keep the traditional ways of living/eating alive and well. It doesn’t sound like it based on some of the things you mentioned. But it’s good that there are people like you who are aware enough and had educated yourself enough to know what’s going on to not be blindly swayed by the prevailing narratives pushed on to us all by the powers-at-be.

Dr. B

I meant that those members here that go full hog sugar and blow up should realize that it's beyond what Ray, Georgi, and Danny can help them with.

Not because sugar is bad, as we know, but because Ray and Danny never climbed the mountain, while Georgi is still climbing the mountain.

None has ever gone thru the challenge of being overweight and overcoming it. So they still can't help these members. Members like Cirion (or former member).

But you can't fault anyone for not having all the answers. No one does. But those who fail to overcome should not just rely on Ray or Georgi of Danny for all the answers. They still have to go outside this realm.

Ray's shortcoming is that he tends to go deep into cortisol, and have people trying to control their cortisol. He understands though that cortisol is not the cause, because it is a stress hormone from the stress of being low on sugar. Yet he focuses on cortisol, and not on why blood sugar gets low, and how to keep it from getting low. At the heart of their problem is the instability of blood sugar. It is this instability that causes overweight and obesity.
i think Rays said sugar is the primary anti cortisol substance.

Jon2547

Yup.

We have Danny Roddy and Ray Peat both of whom has no problem with being overweight, and Giorgi seeming like he needs some help.

Two don't need to figure it out while one hasn't. Yet people rely on them and what they say goes. 90 percent they're spot on, but 10 percent they don't have a clue. So people still have to look elsewhere for some answers.
I was waiting for someone to say it..

yerrag

Yerrag, thanks for the information/education. I’ve been away from the Philippines for too long (40+ years). Been living here in the USA since the 80’s since I left the Philippines and I’ve been curious if our kababayans have been able to keep the traditional ways of living/eating alive and well. It doesn’t sound like it based on some of the things you mentioned. But it’s good that there are people like you who are aware enough and had educated yourself enough to know what’s going on to not be blindly swayed by the prevailing narratives pushed on to us all by the powers-at-be.
I think people stay the same mostly, but changes occur slowly as they creep up on you. People are still habitually late, and don't plan for the weather, that makes for the easy going attitude (something you had to do there), and people normally don't plan a year ahead for vacations, unlike in the US. You'd be hard put to get RSVPs until the last week lol. The taste bud hasn't changed much, although it has grown in preference for sweet, such that the Del Monte Catsup has to be two kinds- original and sweet. Anyway, it's good to hear from you. You're welcome to pm me so we can chat some more.

i think Rays said sugar is the primary anti cortisol substance.
I'm sure he has said that, because that is true, and Ray says things that are true. But how sugar is anti-cortisol is left for us to do our own research on. Ray gives us leads, and it is mostly thru these good leads that I follow up on where I learn most from him.

Ray paints as an artist, and artists don't explain the meaning in their paintings. Ray does that in his writings. He does not go very much in detail, and does not spoon-feed us. He always leaves me with some homework in his newsletters and his interviews.

He has said a lot about good sugar metabolism and why it is central to our health. This is what we call metabolic health, which is really the foundation of our health. I don't know if he's said that, but this is what I believe from my own experience. From frequent colds and yearly flu to being zero on them, it is good sugar metabolism that made the difference.

Because Ray's ideas are scattered around this forum, his newsletters, his websites, his books, and in interviews, it is difficult for his followers to put them together in a coherent whole that becomes a lifestyle that effectively improves their heath and well-being. But a coherent whole applied successfully is context-dependent as well, so it's not easy to write something in the style of a Dr. Axe "do this and do that (which I really doubt works)" which would that would be the be-all and end-all for the subject. Besides, not many people would be so diligent to do the research from Ray Peat's "homeworks." A lot of people join the forum without ever really read Ray Peat's works, and think they can by osmosis pick up his ideas.

So, it would be common for members to think increasing their energy production is about increasing their intake of sugar. Rather, the thought should center around increasing the efficiency of sugar metabolism. And many would find themselves increasing in weight and in size.

The Achilles Heal in implementing this lifestyle is the lack of a system that members can use to monitor the efficiency of their sugar metabolism. Because if there is such a system in use, then someone doing it the wrong way could see he's doing it wrong (not after the fact when he's grown fat) and change his approach. Someone running blind will begin to do his homework, for example, and do it right the next time.

Ray is spot on in criticizing the HbA1c method of measuring blood sugar health, It's making people think they have good blood sugar regulation when it's not. But he hasn't proposed nor merely make mention of another way to measure it. He's talked about the Achilles Tendon reflex as a way to test the thyroid, which is analog and has been used effectively in the past effectively, but is now used only in the Amazon Jungle. He could also talk about the 5 hr OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test), which is far more honest test of our blood sugar health.

Great blood sugar regulation is a proxy for great sugar metabolism hands down. If one can monitor blood sugar regulation and use this as his way of checking on the quality of his sugar metabolism, he gets a good feedback process that gets him to improve his sugar metabolsim. There would be no way one would get fat and heavy in a "Ray Peat" lifestyle.

yerrag

I was waiting for someone to say it..
Thanks! I'm glad you agree. My last post on the subject goes into more detail about an aspect of it.

Doc Sandoz

Great blood sugar regulation is a proxy for great sugar metabolism hands down. If one can monitor blood sugar regulation and use this as his way of checking on the quality of his sugar metabolism, he gets a good feedback process that gets him to improve his sugar metabolsim. There would be no way one would get fat and heavy in a "Ray Peat" lifestyle.
Yerrag, On the blood sugar regulation front, I wonder if you have any observations on an experiment I did. I'd previously observed that within 1/2 hour of a relatively high starch meal I become quite sleepy and needed a nap. I attributed this to an insulin spike and insulin resistance. Recently, I've cut way back on starch and am living on sugars, 100 g protein and low fat. The experiment was seeing what effect eating a high-fat protein food alone would do, so I had four ounces of gyro meat. What happened was like with starch, sleepiness on short order, only the nap i took was even longer and deeper than after starch. It doesn't seem that small quantity of food would cause an insulin spike itself so I theorize that the Randle cycle was activated by eating far more than 30% fat calories, thus barring oxidation of glucose. Since I'd been presumably oxidizing sugar before I wonder if the shift to fat burning metabolism somehow caused this sleep reaction. Any thoughts on possible mechanisms? Also, the starch meals I used to have no doubt contained a lot of fat as well - lasagne with garlic bread e.g., so maybe the Randle cycle was involved even then?

Dr. B

What about the mainstream idea that you regulate blood sugar by eating lots of fiber and avoiding high-glycemic index foods?
i thought this is due to the fiber being slow digesting in the stomach. I heard eating dietary fat, casein also stabilizes blood sugar

yerrag

Recently, I've cut way back on starch and am living on sugars, 100 g protein and low fat.
How did you feel on this?

What about the mainstream idea that you regulate blood sugar by eating lots of fiber and avoiding high-glycemic index foods?
It is helpful for people who get hypoglycemic easily, but makes no difference for people with good blood sugar regulation, as people with good regulation can take high glycemic foods with no problem at all, as the quick assimilation of sugar into blood through the small intestine is easily handled or absorbed and metabolized by the tissues, thus blood sugar has no chance to go excessively high and trigger a disproportionate insulin response, which would end up driving blood sugar down to hypoglycemic levels.

So it serves us no good to take foods with a lot of soluble fiber (insoluble fiber is fine but not in excess) when our blood sugar regulation is fine, as that ends up feeding gut bacteria and increases serotonin as well.

Epeatcurious

How did you feel on this?

It is helpful for people who get hypoglycemic easily, but makes no difference for people with good blood sugar regulation, as people with good regulation can take high glycemic foods with no problem at all, as the quick assimilation of sugar into blood through the small intestine is easily handled or absorbed and metabolized by the tissues, thus blood sugar has no chance to go excessively high and trigger a disproportionate insulin response, which would end up driving blood sugar down to hypoglycemic levels.

So it serves us no good to take foods with a lot of soluble fiber (insoluble fiber is fine but not in excess) when our blood sugar regulation is fine, as that ends up feeding gut bacteria and increases serotonin as well.
I tend towards hypoglycemia pretty heavily, but I also have gut issues. I've been introducing more sugar in the form of honey fruits and fruit juices but I feel like my blood sugar is on a roller coaster ride. I've been sticking to those types of sugars plus protein and fat. Mentally feeling better but should I introduce more fiber? Would that potentially allow my blood sugar to be more steady? Or are the fruits already considered fiber? I'm also doing ine raw carrot a day...

yerrag

I tend towards hypoglycemia pretty heavily, but I also have gut issues. I've been introducing more sugar in the form of honey fruits and fruit juices but I feel like my blood sugar is on a roller coaster ride. I've been sticking to those types of sugars plus protein and fat. Mentally feeling better but should I introduce more fiber? Would that potentially allow my blood sugar to be more steady? Or are the fruits already considered fiber? I'm also doing ine raw carrot a day...
I think that knowing that you are hypoglycemic is a good first step. Many people don't know that. So you can take steps to correct that condition. If there's one thing that you should do first, is to be on cold turkey no-PUFA for 4 years. Just let the 4 years go by, and then test yourself by taking a teaspoon of sugar on empty stomach and see how different your response will be. If you can go thru the 4 years without backsliding, you will do very well. I don't believe in aspirining and niacinamiding my way out of this. Just stop PUFa and let the PUFA stores in your body get metabolized away, and be on vitamin E to protect you from lipid peroxidation.

Meanwhile, yes, go with carbs that have fiber, even soluble fiber. Having fiber in your starches slows down digestion and sugar being assimilated into the blood will trickle in. So, instead of a sudden flood of sugar, your body will be having a steady stream of sugar over hours, lasting from lunch till dinner. This keeps you from ever reaching a sugar high, and this also keeps you from getting a sugar low. You'll feel good and energetic during this time. You won't even need to snack.

While you have hypoglycemia, you should avoid simple sugars so taking fruits may be counterproductive except when you take lesser quantities and accompanied by a meal with starch with fiber. So you really can't follow members here who are on paleo lifestyle which means fruits and meat. Your mix has to be starch with fiber more, and fruits less. As for meat, enough meat as meat also slows down the digestive process. When I was hypoglycemic, I found fatty meat with starch that has fiber to actually give me a sense of well-being.

Lastly, I don't want to sound like I recommend a lot of fiber. For example, I ate brown rice instead of white, and I got the brown rice with the least fiber I can find. It's good enough. Don't seek out food with psyllium added. That's way over the top already. When your hypoglycemic issues are over, then you can go back to soluble fiber-less foods. Like I did when I went back to white rice from brown.

When it comes to food and health, being a fundamentalist Peatarian can be counterproductive when you can't allow the bad to be a good for your temporarily when it helps you overcome a condition.

Last edited:

Juandelacruz

I think that knowing that you are hypoglycemic is a good first step. Many people don't know that. So you can take steps to correct that condition. If there's one thing that you should do first, is to be on cold turkey no-PUFA for 4 years. Just let the 4 years go by, and then test yourself by taking a teaspoon of sugar on empty stomach and see how different your response will be. If you can go thru the 4 years without backsliding, you will do very well. I don't believe in aspirining and niacinamiding my way out of this. Just stop PUFa and let the PUFA stores in your body get metabolized away, and be on vitamin E to protect you from lipid peroxidation.

Meanwhile, yes, go with carbs that have fiber, even soluble fiber. Having fiber in your starches slows down digestion and sugar being assimilated into the blood will trickle in. So, instead of a sudden flood of sugar, your body will be having a steady stream of sugar over hours, lasting from lunch till dinner. This keeps you from ever reaching a sugar high, and this also keeps you from getting a sugar low. You'll feel good and energetic during this time. You won't even need to snack.

While you have hypoglycemia, you should avoid simple sugars so taking fruits may be counterproductive except when you take lesser quantities and accompanied by a meal with starch with fiber. So you really can't follow members here who are on paleo lifestyle which means fruits and meat. Your mix has to be starch with fiber more, and fruits less. As for meat, enough meat as meat also slows down the digestive process. When I was hypoglycemic, I found fatty meat with starch that has fiber to actually give me a sense of well-being.

Lastly, I don't want to sound like I recommend a lot of fiber. For example, I ate brown rice instead of white, and I got the brown rice with the least fiber I can find. It's good enough. Don't seek out food with psyllium added. That's way over the top already. When your hypoglycemic issues are over, then you can go back to soluble fiber-less foods. Like I did when I went back to white rice from brown.

When it comes to food and health, being a fundamentalist Peatarian can be counterproductive when you can't allow the bad to be a good for your temporarily when it helps you overcome a condition.
Hey Yerrag, why do you say 4 years? Does it normally take that long to metabolize away all the stored PUFA? How does one know how much PUFA stores one has? Also, what is the Achilles’ tendon reflex test about? I’ve never heard of it before. I’m very new to the Ray Peat philosophy. So much to learn and understand…

Epeatcurious

Wow! Thanks for that. Can you give me examples of starches with fiber besides brown rice? Should I include lots of veggies?

yerrag

Hey Yerrag, why do you say 4 years? Does it normally take that long to metabolize away all the stored PUFA? How does one know how much PUFA stores one has? Also, what is the Achilles’ tendon reflex test about? I’ve never heard of it before. I’m very new to the Ray Peat philosophy. So much to learn and understand…
I think Ray Peat said that, but I could be wrong. Do a search in the forum and you can dig out some details. No one knows how much PUFA stores one has, but if one hasn't been conscious avoiding PUFA, one would have accumulated a lot of PUFA stores as the years go by and the stores add up. The world is awash with PUFA that it's hard to avoid, and if you are avoiding it, you'll have to make extra effort. If one's clueless, he's got lots of PUFA.

The tendon reflex test is used to determine if one's hypothyroid. Do a search on Youtube about how it's done.

There's a lot of things to learn, but the materials are available in www.raypeat.com, in many interviews, and Ray Peat's books. If you're conscientious about it, you'll be able to get familiarized in about a year of reading to comprehend. Don't rush through it, but spend time listening to podcasts while you're mind is free while you're driving or while doing chores. It pays to know his ideas well as the more you understand, the more you can piece them together.

Without that understanding, some RPF members have taken Ray's ideas as a license to increaste intake of Coke and sugar, and have grown fat.

yerrag

Wow! Thanks for that. Can you give me examples of starches with fiber besides brown rice? Should I include lots of veggies?
Some wheat bread like Essene bread and sprouted grain bread have plenty of fiber. Not all wheat breads are though, but you'll know when you eat them and you get hungry quickly as a hypoglycemiac. Sweet potatoes, oatmeal, Potatoes isn't.

Vegetables don't pack a lot of calories, so I don't really consider them carbs.

Juandelacruz

I think Ray Peat said that, but I could be wrong. Do a search in the forum and you can dig out some details. No one knows how much PUFA stores one has, but if one hasn't been conscious avoiding PUFA, one would have accumulated a lot of PUFA stores as the years go by and the stores add up. The world is awash with PUFA that it's hard to avoid, and if you are avoiding it, you'll have to make extra effort. If one's clueless, he's got lots of PUFA.

The tendon reflex test is used to determine if one's hypothyroid. Do a search on Youtube about how it's done.

There's a lot of things to learn, but the materials are available in www.raypeat.com, in many interviews, and Ray Peat's books. If you're conscientious about it, you'll be able to get familiarized in about a year of reading to comprehend. Don't rush through it, but spend time listening to podcasts while you're mind is free while you're driving or while doing chores. It pays to know his ideas well as the more you understand, the more you can piece them together.

Without that understanding, some RPF members have taken Ray's ideas as a license to increaste intake of Coke and sugar, and have grown fat.
Thanks yerrag! I do believe that I have lots of PUFA in my body. I just want to get rid of it methodically to bring me closer to optimal health. I do listen to Ray Peat’s talks and interviews a lot everyday. And also Danny Roddy, Georgi Dinkov and other proponents of Ray Peat’s philosophy. I find it fascinating learning about Peatism.

Dr. B

Some wheat bread like Essene bread and sprouted grain bread have plenty of fiber. Not all wheat breads are though, but you'll know when you eat them and you get hungry quickly as a hypoglycemiac. Sweet potatoes, oatmeal, Potatoes isn't.

Vegetables don't pack a lot of calories, so I don't really consider them carbs.
what are you saying sweet potatoes/oatmeal, potatoes isnt? are those high fiber foods while potato arent?
also how do you advise stabilizing blood sugar... are veggies necessary or can it be done using animal proteins

yerrag

what are you saying sweet potatoes/oatmeal, potatoes isnt? are those high fiber foods while potato arent?
also how do you advise stabilizing blood sugar... are veggies necessary or can it be done using animal proteins
Sorry. That was confusing.

Sweet potatoes, oatmeal are.

Potatoes isn't.

But I don't think I'll go with oatmeal as it may be too much fiber.

I think people stay the same mostly, but changes occur slowly as they creep up on you. People are still habitually late, and don't plan for the weather, that makes for the easy going attitude (something you had to do there), and people normally don't plan a year ahead for vacations, unlike in the US. You'd be hard put to get RSVPs until the last week lol. The taste bud hasn't changed much, although it has grown in preference for sweet, such that the Del Monte Catsup has to be two kinds- original and sweet. Anyway, it's good to hear from you. You're welcome to pm me so we can chat some more.

I'm sure he has said that, because that is true, and Ray says things that are true. But how sugar is anti-cortisol is left for us to do our own research on. Ray gives us leads, and it is mostly thru these good leads that I follow up on where I learn most from him.

Ray paints as an artist, and artists don't explain the meaning in their paintings. Ray does that in his writings. He does not go very much in detail, and does not spoon-feed us. He always leaves me with some homework in his newsletters and his interviews.

He has said a lot about good sugar metabolism and why it is central to our health. This is what we call metabolic health, which is really the foundation of our health. I don't know if he's said that, but this is what I believe from my own experience. From frequent colds and yearly flu to being zero on them, it is good sugar metabolism that made the difference.

Because Ray's ideas are scattered around this forum, his newsletters, his websites, his books, and in interviews, it is difficult for his followers to put them together in a coherent whole that becomes a lifestyle that effectively improves their heath and well-being. But a coherent whole applied successfully is context-dependent as well, so it's not easy to write something in the style of a Dr. Axe "do this and do that (which I really doubt works)" which would that would be the be-all and end-all for the subject. Besides, not many people would be so diligent to do the research from Ray Peat's "homeworks." A lot of people join the forum without ever really read Ray Peat's works, and think they can by osmosis pick up his ideas.

So, it would be common for members to think increasing their energy production is about increasing their intake of sugar. Rather, the thought should center around increasing the efficiency of sugar metabolism. And many would find themselves increasing in weight and in size.

The Achilles Heal in implementing this lifestyle is the lack of a system that members can use to monitor the efficiency of their sugar metabolism. Because if there is such a system in use, then someone doing it the wrong way could see he's doing it wrong (not after the fact when he's grown fat) and change his approach. Someone running blind will begin to do his homework, for example, and do it right the next time.

Ray is spot on in criticizing the HbA1c method of measuring blood sugar health, It's making people think they have good blood sugar regulation when it's not. But he hasn't proposed nor merely make mention of another way to measure it. He's talked about the Achilles Tendon reflex as a way to test the thyroid, which is analog and has been used effectively in the past effectively, but is now used only in the Amazon Jungle. He could also talk about the 5 hr OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test), which is far more honest test of our blood sugar health.

Hi, what laboratory test for blood sugar?

I dont know why I dont get fat and I drink lots of softdrinks ( no artificial sweetener)