Comparison of the Metabolic Stimulating Action of Aspirin and Thyroid

youngsinatra

I couldn’t read the study because I’m not a member. Is there a way you can copy and post it here. I’m interested in reading it. Just not for $200. Thank you

MikeyFitz

SALICYLATE is a powerful metabolic stimulant in animals (Reid, J., personal communication, 1952), in man and in tissue slices.
In hypothyroid patients it is possible to restore the basal metabolic rate to normal levels with dosage of the order of 8 grams of aspirin daily in divided doses.

Source: Comparison of the Metabolic Stimulating Action of Aspirin and Thyroid - Nature
Interesting study!

On various podcasts and in many studies and posts made on this forum we are seeing huge differences in the amount and frequency of aspirin dosing.

One study had people using 19 grams per day and completely reversing diabetes.

Then we hear on a very recent podcast that Ray Peat only took a couple of tablets a week, and only when he remembered. :):

I'm wondering how we determine what the proper dosage and frequency should be for us?

We know the myths about aspirin and bleeding have been debunked, but are there other dangers to using too much aspirin and too frequently?

What's the "sweet spot" for us individually and how do we determine it?

cremes

I wish the article included some kind of time frame on the dose-response curve. Was this effect immediate? Did it require X days/weeks for it to appear?

My guess is that this effect is near immediate and happens within a few hours. I take a single 81mg baby aspirin every day and am on a potent anti-platelet so I won't be experimenting with this one myself.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Interesting study!

On various podcasts and in many studies and posts made on this forum we are seeing huge differences in the amount and frequency of aspirin dosing.

Then we hear on a very recent podcast that Ray Peat only took a couple of tablets a week, and only when he remembered. :):

I'm wondering how we determine what the proper dosage and frequency should be for us?

We know the myths about aspirin and bleeding have been debunked, but are there other dangers to using too much aspirin and too frequently?

Yeah in the past, astronomically high doses of aspirin were given to people.

I think vitamin K1 in proper dosage can possibly prevent the bleeding risk.

Make sure you have a well functioning liver...

A-Tim

I couldn’t read the study because I’m not a member. Is there a way you can copy and post it here. I’m interested in reading it. Just not for $200. Thank you

Your new best friend.

haidut

Forum Supporter

It was around 7g-9g (study used to say a 90mg/kg daily dose, but that as been removed since I last redit), not 19g. Though, the 7g-9g is also not a small dose but it is quite close to the 8g dose that restored normal metabolic rate in the study above.

NewACC

Interesting study!

@haidut @Hans aspirin has always definitely been a very powerful pro metabolic supplement and at the doses indicated in the study (8g) I always started to sweat horribly and almost got a fever but felt great. At the same time, I got terrible intestinal side effects and was almost deaf and couldn't hear the upper frequencies in the sound and had terrible tinnitus all the time. So I'm afraid to imagine what happened with crazy 19g aspirin per day in diabetics

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

@haidut @Hans aspirin has always definitely been a very powerful pro metabolic supplement and at the doses indicated in the study (8g) I always started to sweat horribly and almost got a fever but felt great. At the same time, I got terrible intestinal side effects and was almost deaf and couldn't hear the upper frequencies in the sound and had terrible tinnitus all the time. So I'm afraid to imagine what happened with crazy 19g aspirin per day in diabetics
Haidut posted a study where glycine increased the absorption and thus bioavailability of aspirin by 3-fold. So that could cut the needed dose of 8g down to ~ 2.5g.

Glycine also helps with gastrointestinal side effects.

Regarding hearing issues:

I personally always dissolve 1-2 tablets of aspirin in 200ml of water, put it in the microwave for 1-2 min, then stirr it, let it settle for 30s, then filter it through a coffee-paper-filter. Then you have a clear aspirin solution, which does not cause any GI upset (in my case), up to 1g even. (And I used to get severe side effects by baby aspirin in the past!)

Today I tried adding in 2g of glycine to 300mg of aspirin and I am pretty sure the study of haidut is correct regarding glycine’s effect of raising aspirin absorption. I hit 37.3 C bodytemperature and 85 bpm pulse and was feeling very energetic.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Seems like aspirin also affects the liver/bile flow similarly to T3:

„Aspirin stimulated cholesterol secretion to a degree similar to triiodothyronine.“

Many (sometimes toxic) things can increase biliary secretion, especially if the substance is „detoxified“ and cleared via the bile. Well, with aspirin, that is not the case.

NewACC

Haidut posted a study where glycine increased the absorption and thus bioavailability of aspirin by 3-fold. So that could cut the needed dose of 8g down to ~ 2.5g.

Glycine also helps with gastrointestinal side effects.

Regarding hearing issues:

I personally always dissolve 1-2 tablets of aspirin in 200ml of water, put it in the microwave for 1-2 min, then stirr it, let it settle for 30s, then filter it through a coffee-paper-filter. Then you have a clear aspirin solution, which does not cause any GI upset (in my case), up to 1g even. (And I used to get severe side effects by baby aspirin in the past!)

Today I tried adding in 2g of glycine to 300mg of aspirin and I am pretty sure the study of haidut is correct regarding glycine’s effect of raising aspirin absorption. I hit 37.3 C bodytemperature and 85 bpm pulse and was feeling very energetic.
very interesting, maybe I should really add gelatin, you are right, thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals