COLLAGEN CONFUSION

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Delicious looking recipes! Yes I have CFS/ME so many tasks that are easy for others are daunting for me. :(
It is only hard the first time or two and then it just becomes part of an easy routine. I have been making cheesecakes a lot lately, to eat or give away, and it is a recipe that has 3 steps, so I only made one every five years maybe. The first time I made it again about a month ago, it seemed a bit of a task, getting through each step, but now I make one so fast, that now I wonder why it deemed such trouble before.

freyasam

It is only hard the first time or two and then it just becomes part of an easy routine. I have been making cheesecakes a lot lately, to eat or give away, and it is a recipe that has 3 steps, so I only made one every five years maybe. The first time I made it again about a month ago, it seemed a bit of a task, getting through each step, but now I make one so fast, that now I wonder why it deemed such trouble before.
It's about energy for me, as in energy to stand up long enough at a sink and wash a pot, or energy to go to the store and buy groceries. It's a severely debilitating issue. It's not about the mental effort it takes to follow steps. Like right now I'm having to sit down and rest after washing a couple dishes.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
It's about energy for me, as in energy to stand up long enough at a sink and wash a pot, or energy to go to the store and buy groceries. It's a severely debilitating issue. It's not about the mental effort it takes to follow steps.
Ohhhh! That does take some work getting momentum back from that place. I have been there. Do you sleep well? It seems when I fixed my sleep a lot of other things fixed themselves.

freyasam

Ohhhh! That does take some work getting momentum back from that place. I have been there. Do you sleep well? It seems when I fixed my sleep a lot of other things fixed themselves.
I've had me/cfs for 13 years and sleep has been up and down. Sleep isn't enough to fix it though.

freyasam

My mom had that for quite some time. I read in one of her journals that eating carrots was helping. Have you tried that?
yep, just had my daily carrot salad an hour ago (followed by having to rest from the exertion of preparing and eating). I've been 'peating' for 9 years.
I don't want to hijack your thread though. I've asked on the forum for lots of help over the years and I don't know if I'm ever going to find anything to really cure me. Thank you though.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“For those who have never heard of aspic before, let's start with the basics. In the simplest terms, Vintages Recipes and Cookery defines aspic as "a savory stock made from cooking meat slowly, creating a natural gelatin that thickens, then turns to a jelly when it cools." Gelatin, of course, is the stuff that gives Jell-O its strange, jiggly consistency, but aspic is, blessedly, conspicuously devoid of the artificial grape flavoring. Rather, once you've boiled your aspic and it comes together in the fridge as a cooled, congealed hunk of meat-infused jelly, it takes on a much saltier, more savory note than probably any of the Jell-O you've ever tried in your life.”

“But back in the day, cooks used aspic for a different purpose. Before refrigeration, foods exposed to too much oxygen (so, basically, all of them) would spoil quickly. Therefore, cooks and homemakers wanted to make sure that as much food as possible actually made it to the dinner table. Using aspic would seal foods like meat in an oxygen-free environment, thus preventing the growth of bacteria that would eventually lead to spoilage.”

This one looks really good!….

The ones with boiled eggs looks good too…

Attachments

• 56E11D50-31FF-4194-8D31-F96E9D7C0419.jpeg
    56E11D50-31FF-4194-8D31-F96E9D7C0419.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 6
  • D80CBC22-2286-4C53-93DA-EEE1C9240B6F.jpeg
    D80CBC22-2286-4C53-93DA-EEE1C9240B6F.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Although pure glycine has its place as a useful and remarkably safe drug, it shouldn't be thought of as a food, because manufactured products are always likely to contain peculiar contaminants.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Adequate vitamin E is extremely important. There are several prescription drugs that protect against serotonin excess, but thyroid and gelatin (or glycine, as in magnesium glycinate) are protective against the serotonin and melatonin toxicities.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Are there different types of collagen?​

Some 28 types of collagen types have been identified. They differ by how the molecules are assembled, the cell components that are added and where the collagen is used in your body. All collagen fibrils have at least one triple helix structure.

The main five types of collagen and what they do are:

• Type I. This type makes up 90% of your body’s collagen. Type I is densely packed and used to provide structure to your skin, bones, tendons and ligaments.
  • Type II. This type is found in elastic cartilage, which provides joint support.
  • Type III. This type is found in muscles, arteries and organs.
  • Type IV. This type is found in the layers of your skin.
  • Type V. This type is found in the cornea of your eyes, some layers of skin, hair and tissue of the placenta.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“We mix it with water, and it turns into a gooey mixture," the swimmers told Vogue. "You comb or brush that into your hair, put it up in a bun, and put a headpiece over that, so when it dries, it gets really hard and your hair doesn't fall out when you swim."”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh my are these ever good! The best tasting pork rinds I have ever had! They are so light like a cheese puff!

1702653989144.jpeg

1702654024205.jpeg

Kray

I do understand the value of gelatin and bone broths, for sleep, joints, skin and such, I am just puzzled as to collagen build-up in old age and in those with cancer. Doesn't gelatin make collagen in the skin, or is ingesting the collagen form of gelatin far off the beaten path from bone broth, like supplimenting calcium and not getting the desired effects that milk gives?
Hi Rinse!

Just hopped on this thread because I've been wondering about buying more collagen. I see you and some others questioned it v gelatin. I think Peat has said they're both pretty much the same. Any update or more information you have on the subject? Appreciated!

Kray

Oh my are these ever good! The best tasting pork rinds I have ever had! They are so light like a cheese puff!

View attachment 59329

View attachment 59330
by the way- just saw this post from you- OH YES THEY ARE!!! I had to cut them out for a bit because I was having too many! I love the BBQ flavor (red bag). Some here re-fry them in CO (per Peat), but do you think it's really necessary? I might add them back in for that mid-morning snack- they're on sale at my local store...... 😋

OP
Rinse & rePeat
by the way- just saw this post from you- OH YES THEY ARE!!! I had to cut them out for a bit because I was having too many! I love the BBQ flavor (red bag). Some here re-fry them in CO (per Peat), but do you think it's really necessary? I might add them back in for that mid-morning snack- they're on sale at my local store...... 😋
I have heard people do that, refry tge pork rinds, but I just pair mine with another saturated fat source like a glass of whole raw milk or with a grass-fed beef source or I was making nachos for awhile with pork rinds. To make them I line the pan with some refined coconut oil first before adding in the pork rinds, them I add on the toppings and bake them for like seven minutes.

1705248469867.jpeg

1705248492838.jpeg

Kray

I have heard people do that, refry tge pork rinds, but I just pair mine with another saturated fat source like a glass of whole raw milk or with a grass-fed beef source or I was making nachos for awhile with pork rinds. To make them I line the pan with some refined coconut oil first before adding in the pork rinds, them I add on the toppings and bake them for like seven minutes.

View attachment 60349

View attachment 60350
That looks amazing!
Did you see my first post, about collagen v gelatin? Are you still using collagen?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That looks amazing!
Did you see my first post, about collagen v gelatin? Are you still using collagen?
I didn’t see that post of yours, sorry about that! To your question, no I don’t use the collagen powder, except on rare occasion, when I don’t have a homemade bone broth on hand or pork rinds or chicken wings. I just don’t prefer the collagen for heavy metal reason. I don’t even use the store bought bone broths for the same, plus there there is no gelatinization in either. Gelatin would be my first pic of those three. I noticed that when I did use collagen powder on a regular basis I was feeling those heavy metals symptoms, I am familiar with, with numbness in my extremities when I was also having vitamin C near it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals