Chronic stress doubles the weight gain from high-fat diets

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am only posting this to demonstrate that the (in)famous claim so many doctors and dietitians and public health figures like to quote (calories in = calories out) does not hold and in fact body weight is heavily influenced by environmental conditions as well, such as chronic stress. As the study stated, chronically stressed animals gained twice as much weight than non-stressed animals while consuming the same amount of calories, having the same amount of physical activity, and starting with the same body weight and basal metabolic rate at the beginning of the study. The findings of this study match the well-established role of elevated cortisol (from chronic stress) in increasing fat gain, as well as the intervention studies showing that cortisol-blocking drugs such as RU486 can lead to rapid and sustained weight loss in humans. The study is one of the few to remind people that (chronic) stress can override the entire energy homeostasis in the organism and lead to weight gain even when the person is eating the "healthy", low-calorie diet public health authorities recommend.

https://www.cell.com/neuron/fulltext/S0896-6273(23)00383-5
How chronic stress drives the brain to crave comfort food

"...While some people eat less during times of stress, most will eat more than usual and choose calorie-rich options high in sugar and fat. To understand what drives these eating habits, the team investigated in mouse models how different areas in the brain responded to chronic stress under various diets. “We discovered that an area known as the lateral habenula, which is normally involved in switching off the brain’s reward response, was active in mice on a short-term, high-fat diet to protect the animal from overeating. However, when mice were chronically stressed, this part of the brain remained silent – allowing the reward signals to stay active and encourage feeding for pleasure, no longer responding to satiety regulatory signals,” explains first author Dr Kenny Chi Kin Ip from the Garvan Institute. “We found that stressed mice on a high-fat diet gained twice as much weight as mice on the same diet that were not stressed.”

"...The researchers say their findings identify stress as a critical regulator of eating habits that can override the brain’s natural ability to balance energy needs. “This research emphasises just how much stress can compromise a healthy energy metabolism,” says Professor Herzog. “It’s a reminder to avoid a stressful lifestyle, and crucially – if you are dealing with long-term stress – try to eat a healthy diet and lock away the junk food.”

Last edited:

HumanLife

CICO helped me lose 28.5kg in a total of weight 9 months ago combined with a weight lifting regimen back in 2017, and despite knowing of Peat since 2019, in only these past few months have I finally realized how terrible it is. It does not stabilize the metabolism, but only adapt it to what you give the body. I had gone back to gaining 18.5kg of the 28.5kg kilos when I stopped, and I wasn’t eating that much food. Admittedly there were periods of terrible stress that could have caused it too, especially with the COVID-19 restrictions. Eating more food has made me more disciplined with going to the gym consistently, and just overall more mentally focused in work. If people are telling me that I look thinner when I am not using CICO, then I must be doing something right.

Nfinkelstein

Maybe explains (outside of the growth promotants and lack of activity) why CAFO animals grow (edit: fatten) so fast compared to non-CAFO animals.

Seb

Forum Supporter
I'm also wondering about people who are very skinny. Is being a very skinny person just a different reaction to stress? Is it excessive glycolysis?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I'm also wondering about people who are very skinny. Is being a very skinny person just a different reaction to stress? Is it excessive glycolysis?

Yes, it can happen and one of popular press articles actually talks about it - i.e. they say that in some people stress leads to craving more food while in others it results in self-imposed significant caloric restriction. Reminds me of Ray's articles and reports of various hypothyroid people he met over the years. The stereotype about a person with low metabolism says he/she should be obese, but Ray often met very skinny, severely hypothyroid people who could only gain weight by using thyroid.

Audacity17

Yes, it can happen and one of popular press articles actually talks about it - i.e. they say that in some people stress leads to craving more food while in others it results in self-imposed significant caloric restriction. Reminds me of Ray's articles and reports of various hypothyroid people he met over the years. The stereotype about a person with low metabolism says he/she should be obese, but Ray often met very skinny, severely hypothyroid people who could only gain weight by using thyroid.
I've worked with some very skinny people who consumed massive amounts of calories....almost all sugar. Very little protein or fried foods.

Seb

Forum Supporter
Yes, it can happen and one of popular press articles actually talks about it - i.e. they say that in some people stress leads to craving more food while in others it results in self-imposed significant caloric restriction. Reminds me of Ray's articles and reports of various hypothyroid people he met over the years. The stereotype about a person with low metabolism says he/she should be obese, but Ray often met very skinny, severely hypothyroid people who could only gain weight by using thyroid And the obese hypothyroid people tend to be better off than the skinny hypothyroid people
Very interesting. And I know how you talked about how the obese hypothyroid people tend to do better than the skinny people - based on observation i find that very skinny people have more mental issues.

Seb

Forum Supporter
I've worked with some very skinny people who consumed massive amounts of calories....almost all sugar. Very little protein or fried foods.
I resonate with this because I keep a shredded 6 pack eating 4000+ calories per day up to 700 grams of carbs per day from sugars

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals