Sugar (sucrose) lowers stress-induced cortisol

haidut

Forum Supporter
Just a quick post to give some props to the much-vilified sucrose. The study below demonstrates that sucrose consumption for just 3 days prior, blunted most of the negative effects of stress, and especially the rise in plasma cortisol. The HED of sucrose was about 4g/kg, which matches closely Peat's recommendations that consumption of 350g-400g sugar daily provides strong protection against the negative effects of stress on the body (and especially on the brain). Too bad most doctors recommend the exact opposite, often combined with prescriptions for SSRI drugs which further decimate the brain...

Sucrose intake and corticosterone interact with cold to modulate ingestive behaviour, energy balance, autonomic outflow and neuroendocrine responses during chronic stress - PubMed
"...More calories were consumed in cold than at room temperature (RT), provided that corticosterone concentrations were elevated above mean daily basal values in cold. Neither increased sucrose nor increased chow ingestion occurred in cold if the rats were ADX and replaced with 30%B. However, sucrose drinking in this group markedly ameliorated other responses to cold. By contrast, ADX30%B rats not drinking sucrose fared poorly, and none of the metabolic or endocrine variables were similar to those in sham-ADX controls. ADX100%B group in cold, resembled intact rats without sucrose; however, this group was metabolically abnormal at RT. We conclude that drinking sucrose lowers stress-induced corticosterone secretion while reducing many responses to cold; elevated corticosterone concentrations in the stress-response range are essential for the normal integrated cold-induced responses to occur."

I just checked cronometer to see if my theoretical perfect day of eating I had already created was close to the HED of sugar for this study (69kg x 4g/kg= 276 g), and it happened to be pretty close at 284g :):

I wonder if I would experience extra benefits upping my sugar, but really my body can’t handle anymore liquid than it’s already getting

pauljacob

I'm insulin resistant and 400g is 32 tablespoons of Sugar. The body breaks sugar down to equal parts of glucose and fructose. Only glucose needs insulin to get into the cells. So is it correct to think that only 200g out of 400g is insulinogenic? Or is it more complicated than that?
@haidut

I'm insulin resistant and 400g is 32 tablespoons of Sugar. The body breaks sugar down to equal parts of glucose and fructose. Only glucose needs insulin to get into the cells. So is it correct to think that only 200g out of 400g is insulinogenic? Or is it more complicated than that?
@haidut
I think it's not just that fructose doesn't require insulin, but also that it catalyzes the burning/ storage of some glucose as well.

There is a study showing the insulin load after the consumption of glucose, sucrose, starch and fructose. A load of sucrose providing the same amount of glucose as a load of glucose( for example, 60 grams of sucrose, with 30 grams of glucose, compared with 30 grams of pure glucose) is less insulinogenic.

pauljacob

I think it's not just that fructose doesn't require insulin, but also that it catalyzes the burning/ storage of some glucose as well.

There is a study showing the insulin load after the consumption of glucose, sucrose, starch and fructose. A load of sucrose providing the same amount of glucose as a load of glucose( for example, 60 grams of sucrose, with 30 grams of glucose, compared with 30 grams of pure glucose) is less insulinogenic.
Thank you Rafael Lao Wai, appreciate your explanation. :thumbsup:

Green Dot

How can we implement this in real life? Maybe fruit juices or soda during stressful situations?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals