Stress increases weight gain by slowing down metabolism

haidut

Forum Supporter
Another confirmation of Peat's quote on the front page about stress-metabolism connection. Some other interesting "findings" as well - i.e. saturated fat is..gasp..not bad for us! It is stress that ruins us.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/07/stress-in ... -suggests/

"...The women who recorded higher levels of stress showed a slower rate of metabolism, burning both calories and fat at a lower rate than the less-stressed women did. Janice Kiecolt-Glaser, study author, explained that it is this slowing in metabolism that leads to weight gain as a result of high levels of stress. Women who reported one major form of stress the day prior to the study appeared to burn 104 calories less in the meal that they ate when compared to women who did not report any stress. If this is a single isolated occurrence the results would be minimal, however, if this happened every day it could result in a weight gain of 11 pounds over the course of a year. The results also indicated that the women who were under greater levels of stress burned fat at a slower rate and had higher levels of insulin. Both of these factors put these women at an increased risk of weight gain, obesity and diabetes. The researchers did not find any significant differences between the types of fat that were eaten pertaining to metabolism. Both types of meal, regardless of the levels of saturated fat and unsaturated fat, were affected equally by the stress that the women eating them was under. This result somewhat undermines the conception that saturated fat leads to more weight gain and other negative effects that unsaturated fat does. In fact, is suggests that it is not the saturated fat that is the problem , but the level of stress that the person eating it is under."

Last edited:

pboy

lol...nice find haidut, its kind of hilarious that this is breaking new info...I mean people were writing more intelligent stuff and embodying it in their society 5000 years ago...such a thing would have been known and obvious to everyone. It took a massive and sustained onslaught of wrong and fear based info our whole lives to prevent this basic knowing...which comes with but a few minutes of quiet intuition.

An interesting thing to ask would be...does sugar lower the stress response, there by alleviating the slowed metabolism? Or can only reducing stress alleviate the slowed metabolism, and that adding sugar during a stress state would only compound the problem? Im thinking it depends on the ease and digestibility of the food...it would seem Peat would recommend eating more under such states...perhaps eat more after the event has subsided, but not during it? hmm a conundrum

Suikerbuik

This were some other recent articles and I think these are worth posting here, although some are not really related to weight.

Stress hormone receptors localized in sweet taste cells
Oral taste cells contain receptors for glucocorticoid “stress hormones,” new research shows. The findings suggest glucocorticoids may act directly on taste cells to affect how they respond to sugars and other taste stimuli under conditions of stress. "Sweet taste may be particularly affected by stress," said the lead author. "Our results may provide a molecular mechanism to help explain why some people eat more sugary foods when they are experiencing intense stress."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140603135603.htm

I indeed think we are far from who we actually are these days Pboy, you're certainly right! :). And especially those who need decent/urgenthelp are the ones being who more and more lose the connectivity with themselves, by all the rubbish being written.
Eaten low sugar and low sodium myself for a decent time too, in a fairly important time in my life. I still am really fcked up by all these stupid advices. Luckily after 4-5 years I began writing Peat's. Better late than never, but just sad it had to go like this, it affected my health very negatively.. All these statements being made by so called healthnerds only make people detach more from themselves...

Inconsistent sugar recommendations raise questions
Sugar has been a part of the human diet since sugarcane was domesticated in 8000 B.C., but today myths and misunderstandings about sugar and the role it plays in health abound. In the media, sugar has been linked to obesity, toxicity, addiction, and fatty liver disease, among a host of other health outcomes, but with little, no or poor research to back up such claims, according to experts.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140625101213.htm

Your stress is my stress: Observing stress can trigger physical stress response
stress can affect the general environment in a physiologically quantifiable way through increased concentrations of the stress hormone cortisol. ... "There must be a transmission mechanism via which the target's state can elicit a similar state in the observer down to the level of a hormonal stress response."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 133143.htm

In context with the above.
Why exercise may not help obese shed much weight: Exercise can elevate stress response and make it more difficult to become slim
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140512101406.htm

Some other general interesting things about stress.

Noise, like electro smog, affecting natural 'rhythms' of our body:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140701085328.htm
observation stress and allergies (one of the most major problems of 21st century without doubt):
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111212092747.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140401101420.htm
Emotions also felt and observed in our bodies/organs instad of only processed in our brains:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140522104848.htm
How stress affects more than only metabolism and immunity. It also affects our microbiome, causing bacteria to escape their biofilms, and thus cause exessive inflammation possibly triggering a heart attack.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140610102010.htm

In line with peoples experiences but highly neglected by (most) physicians these days...

The study also shows that people who had low cortisol levels, on average, have had their disease longer than those with high cortisol levels, which could suggest that chronic stress in bipolar disorder can lead to an "exhaustion" of the stress system with reduced cortisol levels as a result. The researchers also believe that the low cortisol levels, once developed, can contribute to a more chronic, manifested state of the disorder.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140618100610.htm

pboy

suikerbuik...that's an amazing post. It should be required reading for all people....especially those stuck in the false beliefs put out there

I think a lot of us have been victims of the bad advice, but it can be undone pretty quickly and a positive state returned. I feel for you, and wish the best...it'll happen sooner than you think...honestly though you already seem positive and with good energy and intent, very nice

Hugh Johnson

Suikerbuik said:
Inconsistent sugar recommendations raise questions
Sugar has been a part of the human diet since sugarcane was domesticated in 8000 B.C., but today myths and misunderstandings about sugar and the role it plays in health abound. In the media, sugar has been linked to obesity, toxicity, addiction, and fatty liver disease, among a host of other health outcomes, but with little, no or poor research to back up such claims, according to experts.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140625101213.htm
Humans and human ancestors spent milllions of years on sugar diet by eating fruit. I am glad that scientists are starting to realize that the moralizing about sugar has little basis,

Suikerbuik said:
Your stress is my stress: Observing stress can trigger physical stress response
stress can affect the general environment in a physiologically quantifiable way through increased concentrations of the stress hormone cortisol. ... "There must be a transmission mechanism via which the target's state can elicit a similar state in the observer down to the level of a hormonal stress response."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 133143.htm
Now this is interesting. In one iterview Peat said that a single authoritarian can bring down the mood of a whole group. I guess we should be very careful about the kind of people we allow in our lives.

Great post, and if it makes you feel any better, you are not the only one who got hurt by those recommendation. I pretty much lost my twenties due to health issues.

Suikerbuik

Thanks for the kind words guys. Agree that things do and can cange fast. Organisms have a great adaptivity and always try to reach homeostasis. And at this moment I am already doing the best in times. But the chain is only as strong as its weakest link ;).

There's some bad things happened in the most important times in my life. As a baby and in my teenage years (in between it was fine, no issues at all). No reason to talk about these here, anyway when severely undernourished and always going to the limit and beyond (under eating makes your limit really low), your body ages fast and along with other stressors (i.e. isotretinoin and Abx) things can go downwards quickly, and unknown (remaining?) changes happen.
The under eating was gut related as my system was weakened and exhausted because of sports exertion and antibiotics, and eating little made me feel much better than eating anything. However the system became especially weak after excluding sugar, saturated fats and sodium, in retro spect ofcourse. Avoiding grains was a really good thing though. Just sad that most things are being put under the same umbrella, without actually knowing what the umbrella looks like.

But as said it's not about me. It's the way it is, things happened and I accepted it the way things came along my road. I am now only looking forward and learn from my mistakes, make the best out of every day, keep a positive attitude as much as possible, enjoy what I do and most important do these things with my heart.

Hope this will indeed be required reading for people sometime. Knowing general principles about us and also eventually adapting our lifestyles to it, can really bring society few steps further, in multiple ways, in my opinion.

SQu

Talking about bad advice, I have a friend who has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. She has spent 30 years or so following the healthiest approach she knew of, which was being vegetarian for some time, then just lots of vegetables, fruit, soy, exercise, calorie control approach. I think her case is important because she never ate junk food, she ate home cooked meals cooked with vegetable oils, and a lot of soy. Recently some allergies, to gluten, and then dairy, suggesting lowered thyroid. She doesn't have a crazy stressful life. She has a great life, actually. But following the health advice that is generally believed has led to this.
Edit: Sorry, this is the wrong place for this comment.

jyb

Suikerbuik said:
The study also shows that people who had low cortisol levels, on average, have had their disease longer than those with high cortisol levels, which could suggest that chronic stress in bipolar disorder can lead to an "exhaustion" of the stress system with reduced cortisol levels as a result. The researchers also believe that the low cortisol levels, once developed, can contribute to a more chronic, manifested state of the disorder.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140618100610.htm

Does that mean excessively low then? Not just low like one aiming is for on here.

pboy

peat is aiming for a diet and lifestyle that don't require the need for much cortisol. But you can bet if you need it, its very important...hugely important. If you need it but cant make it due to exhaustion, that's by far the most serious case. Occasional production like during long sleep and upon wake, maybe a drive through traffic on the way home, having to go an hour or so longer than you want before eating, is not a big deal...Peat just suggests limiting these factors because over time they are what lead to exhaustion...which is basically a highly vulnerable state to be in, where any stress actually does damage rather than just be an irritation

Blinkyrocket

What about inability to gain weight? I don't think it's because of a fast metabolism in my case and Ray peat has said that thin ppl can be hypothyroid, and a lot of athletes are hypothyroid even when in "top physical condition". What makes one gain vs. not be able to gain/lose weight? Constantly burning FFA? That's stress but results in no fat gain, how would I stop that then if that's the problem?

Makrosky

pboy said:
which comes with but a few minutes of quiet intuition.

An interesting thing to ask would be...does sugar lower the stress response, there by alleviating the slowed metabolism? Or can only reducing stress alleviate the slowed metabolism, and that adding sugar during a stress state would only compound the problem? Im thinking it depends on the ease and digestibility of the food...it would seem Peat would recommend eating more under such states...perhaps eat more after the event has subsided, but not during it? hmm a conundrum

My intuition would say don't eat if you're under big stress. The sympathetic nervous system is about not digesting food but rather movilizing existing stores. It drives blood away the digesting organs. At least I have experienced that. You need the parasympathetic nervous system to rest and digest.

Not eating anything would be very bad also so I guess, maybe taking very easily digested foods like OJ or a teaspoon/Tablespoon of pure sugar and/or real salt in warm water can help alleviate the stress. Maybe milk as well? It has fat on it so it can be good or bad I don't know. Bile secretion (to digest fats) is diminished while under stress.

Gotta try that approach soon and I'll let you know if I find something relevant. It's very difficult for me to skip a meal even under stress....

I'm yet a newbie implementing Peat strategies.

YuraCZ

Blinkyrocket said:
What about inability to gain weight? I don't think it's because of a fast metabolism in my case and Ray peat has said that thin ppl can be hypothyroid, and a lot of athletes are hypothyroid even when in "top physical condition". What makes one gain vs. not be able to gain/lose weight? Constantly burning FFA? That's stress but results in no fat gain, how would I stop that then if that's the problem?
How much kcal you eat per day? EVERYBODY can gain weight(build muscle) or lose weight(lose fat) and I don't care what someone says or what are their excuses.. ;)

Blinkyrocket

YuraCZ said:
Blinkyrocket said:
How much kcal you eat per day? EVERYBODY can gain weight(build muscle) or lose weight(lose fat) and I don't care what someone says or what are their excuses.. ;)
3500 calories and so far I've gained 2 lbs which seems pretty normal, so I'm gaining weight now, I wonder about inability to gain weight more because a long time ago my diet used to be around 6000 calories (I didn't even know until I checked cronometer on all the food I used to eat) but I was even skinnier than I am now and all the food I ate was junk, up to 100g of PUFA.

YuraCZ

Blinkyrocket said:
YuraCZ said:
Blinkyrocket said:
3500 calories and so far I've gained 2 lbs which seems pretty normal, so I'm gaining weight now, I wonder about inability to gain weight more because a long time ago my diet used to be around 6000 calories (I didn't even know until I checked cronometer on all the food I used to eat) but I was even skinnier than I am now and all the food I ate was junk, up to 100g of PUFA.
Well you have crazy fast metabolism. Which is much better than slow metabolism.. ;)

Blinkyrocket

YuraCZ said:
Blinkyrocket said:
YuraCZ said:
Blinkyrocket said:
Well you have crazy fast metabolism. Which is much better than slow metabolism.. ;)
Well, I was stressed all the time which is why I'm wondering whether or not it was fast metabolism or just something else, cuz true diabetes is a wasting disease in which you actually lose weight to the point of looking sickly, I don't have that but my point is I don't think my metabolism is actually fast, my temps at that time were 97.5 upon waking (now they're way better, 98.6 last time I checked) and NOW is when I'm actually gaining weight.

tara

Blinkyrocket said:
YuraCZ said:
Blinkyrocket said:
YuraCZ said:
Blinkyrocket said:
Well, I was stressed all the time which is why I'm wondering whether or not it was fast metabolism or just something else, cuz true diabetes is a wasting disease in which you actually lose weight to the point of looking sickly, I don't have that but my point is I don't think my metabolism is actually fast, my temps at that time were 97.5 upon waking (now they're way better, 98.6 last time I checked) and NOW is when I'm actually gaining weight.

Peat talked about being able to reduce his calorie intake a bit (from quite high) when his metabolism improved - it can mean wasting less when not running so much on stress. He has talked about this in principle as applying to some other people too - an inability to gain weight even on generous calories.

Glad you are getting in some more food, Blinky.