Chlorogenic Acid

postman

Is it a friend, is it a foe? Has Ray ever spoken about it?

I found a pretty extensive review of the literature on it
Sci-Hub | The potential effects of chlorogenic acid, the main phenolic components in coffee, on health: a comprehensive review of the literature | 10.1007/s00394-017-1379-1
Tajik, N., Tajik, M., Mack, I., & Enck, P. (2017). The potential effects of chlorogenic acid, the main phenolic components in coffee, on health: a comprehensive review of the literature. European Journal of Nutrition, 56(7), 2215–2244. doi:10.1007/s00394-017-1379-1

Green coffee seems to have a lot more of it than roasted coffee, has anyone here tried drinking coffee made with raw coffee beans?

LLight

Trevor Marshall said that his molecular modelling tended to show it could interfere with the vitamin D receptor.

BearWithMe

Trevor Marshall said that his molecular modelling tended to show it could interfere with the vitamin D receptor.

Very interesting, many thanks for the link!

Peat thinks that activating the vitamin D receptor isn't good. It has effects which are parallel to the parathyroid hormone, such as calcifications of soft tissues and lowered metabolism. Calcitriol, the so called active form of vitamin D, does activate this receptor, but the calcifediol, or 25(OH) vitamin D, doesn't. In an interview, Ray said that this form of vitamin D, which is "inactive", has neurosteroidal effects on the brain and speeds up metabolism( similarly to thyroid). From the little that I know about Marshall, he thinks that calcifediol isn't good, since it antagonizes the vitamin D receptor, therefore vitamin D supplementation( cholecalciferol) isn't indicated, since it will increase calcifediol and decrease calcitriol.

So depending on the person's perspective, this particular effect of chlorogenic acid could be beneficial( Ray) or damaging( Trevor).

LLight

Peat thinks that activating the vitamin D receptor isn't good. It has effects which are parallel to the parathyroid hormone, such as calcifications of soft tissues and lowered metabolism. Calcitriol, the so called active form of vitamin D, does activate this receptor, but the calcifediol, or 25(OH) vitamin D, doesn't. In an interview, Ray said that this form of vitamin D, which is "inactive", has neurosteroidal effects on the brain and speeds up metabolism( similarly to thyroid). From the little that I know about Marshall, he thinks that calcifediol isn't good, since it antagonizes the vitamin D receptor, therefore vitamin D supplementation( cholecalciferol) isn't indicated, since it will increase calcifediol and decrease calcitriol.

So depending on the person's perspective, this particular effect of chlorogenic acid could be beneficial( Ray) or damaging( Trevor).
Interesting, I did not know that Peat had this view about the VDR.

I recall having a "debate" here on whether 25(OH) did or do not activate the VDR. Haidut even posted a study showing that 25(OH) supplementation increased antimicrobial peptides (which are targets of the VDR)

IIRC, the VDR also controls the gap between gut epithelial cells.

By the way, there also exist VDR ligands (produced by the CYP11A1 enzyme) that do not elicit the calcemic effects.

Mauritio

"Chlorogenic acid, the ester of caffeic acid with quinic acid, is found in high concentrations in coffee. Chlorogenic acid and its related compounds exhibit activities in extensive biological profiles such as antidiabetic effect, DNA protective effect, and neuroprotective effect. Moreover, chlorogenic acid also shows inhibitory activity against hepatitis B virus (HBV) in vivo and in vitro. As an antioxidant, chlorogenic acid and its hydrolysates also possess liver protection activity and suppress carcinogenesis, which may also contribute to the therapeutic action toward chronic HBV infection."

Mauritio

To me chlorogenic acid seems very beneficial and a factor of coffes effects probably synergistic with caffeine .
Also a reason to drink decaf coffee, when you're not reacting well to caffeine.

- It decreases lipid peroxidation/ is a strong antioxidant
- It boosts AMPK ,which boosts metabolism (aspirin does the same)
- It increases weight loss
-increass insulin sensitivity

The majority of CGA hydrolized to cafeic acid and quinic acid before being absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract through the action of special esterases in both small and large (microbial esterases) intestine .

The CGA content of a cup of cofee (200 ml) difers substantially between 70 and
350 mg, depending on the cofee variety
[11, 13]. Some studies reported that green Cofea Robusta beans contain the most amount of CGA on average while green Cofea Arabica beans contain the least [14, 15].

Ludwig et al. [16] reported that the espresso coffee brew had relatively a higher content of CGA than the other brew methods.

Accumulating evidence has dem-
onstrated that CGA is known for its antioxidant, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-infammatory properties; these health benefts have lately been the focus of many epi-demiologic studies [17, 18]. It has been proposed to have benefts on type-2 diabetes (T2DM) [19], obesity [20],
Alzheimer’s disease [21], stroke [22] and on endothelial function as well blood pressure
[23, 24]. Despite the benefcial efects of CGA on health, some studies
revealed the adverse efects of CGA, including headache, diarrhoea and complications in higher doses for a person with a sensitive stomach [25]

Thom reported that following 12 weeks
of rich-CGA cofee intake (200 mg/day) in 30 overweight subjects, the mean body weight signifcantly decreased compared to the placebo (5.4 vs. 1.7 Kg) [20]. Favour-
able efects of CGA on body weight in healthy overweight adults have also been observed in another study with a similar design, where GCE rich in CGA signifcantly decreased
weight (by 5 kg)
compared with placebo (2.45 kg) [99].

Current evidence corroborates
the benefcial efects of CGA on body weight in dietinduced obese rats through modulating PPARα [49].

For the frst time, Ong et al. [76]
demonstrated the efcacy of CGA on glucose uptake in skeletal muscle of db/db mice through the stimulating activity of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK).

Aforementioned results were confrmed by another
experiment in which the prevention of oxidative DNA
damage
caused by two types of cofee was compared. The
maximum protection was seen after intervention in CGArich cofee compared with N-methylpyridinium-rich cofee

Kapil et al. [154] analyzed the efects of CGA extracted
from the leaves of Anthocephalus cadamba (a tree with medicinal value for various disorders) on the liver against
oxidative injury by CCL4. CGA (100 mg/kg bw/day) was administered intraperitoneally in mice for 8 days. The mice exhibited signifcant reversal in lipid peroxidation and generated cellular antioxidant defence modifcation. These results revealed that the hepatoprotective activity of CGA
might be caused by its antioxidative action.

Last edited:

BearWithMe

Wooooooow. That sounds incredible!

Need to try some green coffee ASAP.

Thanks for sharing Mauritio!

grithin

@Mauritio I'm curious, if you don't mind, what led you to look into chlorogenic acid recently?

Mauritio

@Mauritio I'm curious, if you don't mind, what led you to look into chlorogenic acid recently?
Some frequency ,that claimed to induce weight loss by increasing chlorogenic acid in the body.
Then I googled peats opinion on it and found this thread:)

grithin

Some frequency ,that claimed to induce weight loss by increasing chlorogenic acid in the body.
Then I googled peats opinion on it and found this thread:)
Thanks for the answer. It's a curious synchronicity. I had, perhaps a week and some ago, done a wide search on chlorogenic acid (multiple sites including this one) and bought some. Makes me wonder whether advertisers' profiles on consumers might have led to recommendations based on my history.

Either way, something you probably won't find for another few years: From my own experimentation, chlorogenic acid seems to have a very significant effect on bile flow, and I suspect that much of the benefits seen relate to this.

Mauritio

Thanks for the answer. It's a curious synchronicity. I had, perhaps a week and some ago, done a wide search on chlorogenic acid (multiple sites including this one) and bought some. Makes me wonder whether advertisers' profiles on consumers might have led to recommendations based on my history.

Either way, something you probably won't find for another few years: From my own experimentation, chlorogenic acid seems to have a very significant effect on bile flow, and I suspect that much of the benefits seen relate to this.
Oh interesting! I have never tried it isolated . What's your experience with it and how does the increased bile flow manifest itself? Better digestion?

grithin

Oh interesting! I have never tried it isolated . What's your experience with it and how does the increased bile flow manifest itself? Better digestion?

I get various indications when I have a high bile flow.

Digestion is only a part of what bile flow is for. It is largely an avenue for clearance of various things, like estrogen. If you have bad bile flow, your gallbladder backs up, and then your liver backs up (NAFLD). And when you have these back ups, estrogen doesn't dump, and this seems to cause a cascade of lowered androgens. This is the benefit I speak of rather than digestion, but I imagine it would also help if you have a problem with fat digestion.

Mauritio

I get various indications when I have a high bile flow.

Digestion is only a part of what bile flow is for. It is largely an avenue for clearance of various things, like estrogen. If you have bad bile flow, your gallbladder backs up, and then your liver backs up (NAFLD). And when you have these back ups, estrogen doesn't dump, and this seems to cause a cascade of lowered androgens. This is the benefit I speak of rather than digestion, but I imagine it would also help if you have a problem with fat digestion.
Interesting, no wonder coffee is such a super food. Although peat never really mentions CGA .
This is a such strong point for drinking any kind of coffee!

grithin

Interesting, no wonder coffee is such a super food. Although peat never really mentions CGA .
This is a such strong point for drinking any kind of coffee!

Yes I know. Years ago, I tried to get CGA, but couldn't find it conveniently sold. I had done a lot of testing with caffeine pills and noticed that benefits were not the same as with coffee, so the variance in benefits had to be from other constituents. I also noticed that much of the benefit from coffee was not the same with instant coffee, and I found that CGA content was much less in instant coffee. Just a guess, but the "stale" coffee might actually be a consequence of the evaporation of chlorogenic acid.

BearWithMe

Coffee does increase my bile flow and improve fat digestion, while caffeine alone does not.

Cant wait to try chlorogenic acid.

RealNeat

I'm not seeing where this is stated in the link?

LLight

I'm not seeing where this is stated in the link?
Either the page has been modified, or I've seen it in his forum (the link is given below) but you need an account to see it.
Or it's an error of interpretation from myself.

From memory, I believe he had done modeling of protein interactions and had come to this conclusion. These modeling are not necessarily really reliable though.

RealNeat

Either the page has been modified, or I've seen it in his forum (the link is given below) but you need an account to see it.
Or it's an error of interpretation from myself.
If you end up finding that reference let me know please. Screenshot works too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals