Chicory?

cowgirl88

I wanted to start using Bickfords iced coffee mixture in cold milk. It contains coffee as well as chicory for the main flavourings.
Is chicory ok?? Thanks in advance

Inhibition of the expression and activity of cyclooxygenase-2 by chicory extract

Chicory is a major source of fructans with reported prebiotic–bifidogenic properties. In the present study, the potential anti-inflammatory activities of chicory were investigated. Ethyl acetate chicory root extract produced a marked inhibition of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) production in human colon carcinoma HT29 cells treated with the pro-inflammatory agent TNF-α. Two independent mechanisms of action were identified: (1) a drastic inhibition of the induction by TNF-α of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) protein expression and (2) a direct inhibition of COX enzyme activities with a significantly higher selectivity for COX-2 activity. The inhibition of TNF-α-dependent induction of COX-2 expression was mediated by an inhibition of NF-κB activation. A major sesquiterpene lactone of chicory root, the guaianolide 8-deoxylactucin, was identified as the key inhibitor of COX-2 protein expression present in chicory extract. Altogether, the data presented strongly support chicory root as a promising source of functional food ingredient, combining prebiotic and anti-inflammatory properties.

seano

To clarify, we are talking about chicory root. There is also the leaf which is knows as "endive" in the US & UK.

It's primarily inulin, hence its popularity as a pre-biotic food. I'm not sure this community & Ray's opinion on pre-biotics such as that. But in general he is not a fan of things that feed bacteria.

In south Louisiana coffee is often a 50/50% spit between coffee & ground chicory. And in many countries, especially financially poor countries and those that export coffee, chicory is used instead of coffee. In that case it's typically strained like coffee so likely not getting the inulin.

I used to have the chicory based coffee substitute just for variety, but stopped that since the pre-ground stuff sits on the shelf too long.

there are two components of the root -- extract and the physical inulin starch.

The study I cited was done on extract. This is what is more likely to be similar to what's found in coffee, I think.

PeskyPeater

It seems chicory is high in insoluble fiber and has bacteriostatic effect, and the inulin could carry olive and coconut oil into the colon, right?
Seems like a good alternative to carrot salad in my opinion...
link

its also high in chlorogenic acid like in coffee and increases its antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. link and hindawi article link

3.3. Effect of Chlorogenic Acid on Serum LPS Levels and the Expression of Related Inflammatory Cytokines​

Serum inflammatory cytokine levels for each animal group are shown in Figure 4. Compared with the NC group, the levels of the proinflammatory factors, TNF-α, MCP-1, IL-6, and LPS, increased by 69.63%, 94.99%, 59.39%, and 207.33%, respectively, in the HFD group. The levels of TNF-α, MCP-1, IL-6, and LPS in the HFD+SPR and HFD+CGA groups were significantly lower than those observed in the HFD group (); in the HFD+SPR group, the levels of these factors decreased by 12.37%, 225.95%, 53.52%, and 302.93%, respectively, and in the HFD+CGA group, the levels were decreased by 135.23%, 308.16%, 66.78%, and 265.34%, respectively.
These results revealed that CGA [Clorogenic acid] can relieve inflammation caused by an HFD, and its effect was superior to that demonstrated by dietary correction.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals