Acacia Fiber?

Barry

I bought "organic coconut milk powder". it is great to add to my coffee and I believe it is probably low in pufa. but it contains "organic acacia fiber". is this like a gum or carageenen? trying to decide if I should just switch to heavy cream in my coffee, or maybe just whole milk.

Dave Clark

I bought "organic coconut milk powder". it is great to add to my coffee and I believe it is probably low in pufa. but it contains "organic acacia fiber". is this like a gum or carageenen? trying to decide if I should just switch to heavy cream in my coffee, or maybe just whole milk.
It is a soluble fiber, which is not promoted here on the forum. it is a pre-biotic, which is also not promoted, I believe due to endotoxin producing. The other name for acacia is gum arabic, if that is any indication that it may be a gum.
Acacia Fiber Can Help Digestive Orders and Lower Cholesterol
Most all coconut milk powders have either acacia, potato starch, tapioca, etc. to keep from clumping. If you are using just a few teaspoons/day, you are only getting a modicum of those ingredients, if you are using it to make pints/quarts of coconut milk, then you may be getting more than would be desired. Unless you want to be an absolute Peat purist, I wouldn't be concerned with a small amount. That's my take, but then I prefer grass-fed milk in my coffee.

Last edited:

ddjd

It is a soluble fiber, which is not promoted here on the forum. it is a pre-biotic, which is also not promoted, I believe due to endotoxin producing. The other name for acacia is gum arabic, if that is any indication that it may be a gum.
Acacia Fiber Can Help Digestive Orders and Lower Cholesterol
Most all coconut milk powders have either acacia, potato starch, tapioca, etc. to keep from clumping. If you are using just a few teaspoons/day, you are only getting a modicum of those ingredients, if you are using it to make pints/quarts of coconut milk, then you may be getting more than would be desired. Unless you want to be an absolute Peat purist, I wouldn't be concerned with a small amount. That's my take, but then I prefer grass-fed milk in my coffee.
Interesting. Because I ate these "vegan" organic gummy bear sweets tonight and I felt this crazy lift in energy, flatter stomach, very sociable and clear headed. I checked the ingredients and they're made from Arabica Gum. I'm absolutely sure it's that what's had this effect. What I mean is the positive effect is seriously noticable so there's something going on here.

Last edited:
@haidut said…

“Scary, because it refers to evidence that emulsifiers widely approved for use in the food industry and even in foods with the "organic" label, can cause the same vascular lesions and brain bleeding that endotoxin / LPS can. One of those emulsifiers - carrageenan - has already been banned as a known carcinogen in some countries. However, the more widely used gums such as acacia, carob bean, gellan, etc are so widely used that one study analyzing commercial food samples found only one that did not contain at least one of those gums in measurable concentrations. No wonder the rates of hemorrhaging stroke, Kawasaki disease and other vascular/bleeding disorders have been increasing for the last 3 decades.”