Cancer And Appetite Loss

Mary Pruter

Hello, I have a neighbor that is going through chemo and has lost his appetite. He has been drinking Ensures and Boost. I told him that these are not good. He checked with his doctor and the doctor told him to stop drinking them. When he asked for something to improve his appetite, the doctor told him the meds have too many side effects for him to take them.

Does anyone know of what he can drink to help him ( I was thinking smoothies) but what should they consist of, or is there anything else he can do?

J

James IV

Chocolate or vanilla Milkshakes.
Add egg yolks and ripe bananas for nutrition without changing flavor.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hello, I have a neighbor that is going through chemo and has lost his appetite. He has been drinking Ensures and Boost. I told him that these are not good. He checked with his doctor and the doctor told him to stop drinking them. When he asked for something to improve his appetite, the doctor told him the meds have too many side effects for him to take them.

Does anyone know of what he can drink to help him ( I was thinking smoothies) but what should they consist of, or is there anything else he can do?

Cyproheptadine or ketotifen are given to boost appetite in those patients and incidentally are actually therapeutic for the cancer as well. Not aware of any bad side effects at least from ketotifen.

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

Cyproheptadine or ketotifen are given to boost appetite in those patients and incidentally are actually therapeutic for the cancer as well. Not aware of any bad side effects at least from ketotifen.

Yes, you had said. Are these drugs or supplements. Seems I remember you saying to check with his doctor?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yes, you had said. Are these drugs or supplements. Seems I remember you saying to check with his doctor?

They are drugs but in some countries they are OTC. I would ask the doctor anyways.

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

They are drugs but in some countries they are OTC. I would ask the doctor anyways.

Okay, thank you. Still, no response to my question about the dosing for pregnant loan and of 200 mg a day are okay.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Okay, thank you. Still, no response to my question about the dosing for pregnant loan and of 200 mg a day are okay.

Not sure what a "pregnant loan" is...

haidut

Forum Supporter
Pregnenolone! Typo there.

I don't see a pregnenolone question in this thread, but for most people 200mg should be safe enough to try.

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

I don't see a pregnenolone question in this thread, but for most people 200mg should be safe enough to try.

Thank you. It wasn't in the thread. I posted the question in a supplement thread and had no response for 4 or 5 days now. Just let you know that here.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thank you. It wasn't in the thread. I posted the question in a supplement thread and had no response for 4 or 5 days now. Just let you know that here.

If there is no response in a thread for a few days you may want to bump it every once in a while so people see it. Sometimes the threads slip through and nobody sees them, so there is no response.

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

If there is no response in a thread for a few days you may want to bump it every once in a while so people see it. Sometimes the threads slip through and nobody sees them, so there is no response.
I did that!

Lin

Is he taking drugs to suppress the immune system? Then, disregard this post.

Are the drugs to boost the immune system? Read on--
Is he going to have surgery? I hate to recommend a Nestle product, but, for ready to drink shakes, which is what he has been doing, Impact, is often recommended. It is not in stores, you have to order online. The protein is casein, not soy. IMPACT ADVANCED RECOVERY® Notice there are recipes at the bottom of the page, some with 510 cal/serv. I don't see that it will improve appetite, just boost the healing properties of what he does eat.

He should also ask his doctor if it is okay to use.

Last edited:
OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

I just sent him the link. I told him to share it with his doctor to see what he thinks about it. I, myself, don't know what meds he's on or what he can have, so I always tell him to talk to his doctor about it. The site asked me if I was a health care professional, so I told him his doctor might have to order i for him

Regina

Okay, thank you much. I will inform him of this also!
With all due respect, I would be concerned about a number ingredients in this product:

INGREDIENTS (VANILLA): WATER, SUGAR, CALCIUM CASEINATE (MILK), SODIUM CASEINATE, L-ARGININE, REFINED FISH OIL (ANCHOVY, SARDINE) AND LESS THAN 2% OF CORN OIL, CITRIC ACID, MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES, MALTODEXTRIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, YEAST EXTRACT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE, CELLULOSE GEL, CELLULOSE GUM, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, SUCRALOSE (SWEETENER), CARRAGEENAN, ZINC SULFATE, FERROUS SULFATE, D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL, NIACINAMIDE, SOYBEAN OIL, DL-ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, COPPER GLUCONATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, THIAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE, BETA-CAROTENE, FOLIC ACID, POTASSIUM IODIDE, SODIUM SELENITE, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, VITAMIN K1, BIOTIN, VITAMIN D3, VITAMIN B12

...the ones I have bolded and underlined at the very least.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals