Can the thyroid recover after being on hormone replacement?

Callmestar

Hi all,

I've been unwell for sometime and was regularly posting her previously. My TSH has previously always been in normal range, ranging for 1.0 to 4.0. No matter the level I always felt crap. I also tried various thyroid meds and also felt no benefit.

TSH had today come back at 8.6. I know it's common for people to take thyroid here on an ongoing basis but in my mind if I can have healthy thyroid function naturally, I would. At this level I'm assuming the consensus would be that I should definitely be on thyroid meds (although they don't prescribe it her until TSH over 10). I have cynoplus etc in my cupboard so I'm ok there.

My question is, can thyroid function be recovered if I go onto thyroid meds for consistent period of time? Say I took it for two years and my health improved overall, could I possibly come off the meds and have normal thyroid function again?

rr1

From everything I've read and experienced, starting thyroid meds will give the thyroid the rest it needs. And continuing to support the body and trying to do things the right things, lowering stress/pufa etc, then the thyroid may even be in a better spot after stopping meds.

GodsHound

+1 what rr1 said.

Ray's spoken of people regaining thyroid function after a short course of supplementation. But he has also spoken of the many toxic factors in our modern environment that negatively effect the thyroid, some that are almost unavoidable. Eg, the amount of PUFA in an adults tissue stores will be a constant dampener on their thyroid function, and it would take at least two years after one stopped consuming PUFA in their diet for it to be depleted from their tissues. So in that time it would be rational to use a thyroid supplement. Nearly all of our food nowadays is somewhat poisoned. Our air is full of pollutants, our water too. Even societal pressures in modern life act against thyroid function, as Ray writes about in his Learned Helplessness article. This is why Ray says that almost anyone can benefit from some supplemental thyroid. The environment of modern life is just so hostile (but nutrition is very accessible... for now).

GodsHound

Also I can't believe that you cannot get a prescription with a TSH less than 10... The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists states the normal range as 0.3 to 3.0.

Thyroid replacement is great for the thyroid. And it’s very good overall. I don’t know why so many people resist it as it is necessary in so many cases. Doctors don’t know how to treat thyroid and are complete morons in this area (among many others.)

OP
C

Callmestar

Also I can't believe that you cannot get a prescription with a TSH less than 10... The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists states the normal range as 0.3 to 3.0.

I don't know if it's official you can't get a prescription at these levels but at 8.6 they class it as 'subclinical' and doctor says test again in 3 to 6 months. They also don't routinely test T4.

I'll pay privately for TSH, T4 and T3 in a week's time and if it's still out of wack I'll start thyroid. As in thyroid I have to buy myself ?

OP
C

Callmestar

Thyroid replacement is great for the thyroid. And it’s very good overall. I don’t know why so many people resist it as it is necessary in so many cases. Doctors don’t know how to treat thyroid and are complete morons in this area (among many others.)

I hope you are right. What makes you say it's good for the thyroid? Isn't letting a hormone producing gland do nothing, eventually going to lead it it being unable to regain its ability to produce that hormone?

I hope you are right. What makes you say it's good for the thyroid? Isn't letting a hormone producing gland do nothing, eventually going to lead it it being unable to regain its ability to produce that hormone?
No. Thyroid gland kicks in any time needed. Many times thyroid supplementation can be stopped eventually.

linx

Forum Supporter
I took a full replacement dose of thyroid for a bit over two years before discovering my low thyroid was due to low vitamin D. After supplementing D I was able to stop thyroid meds completely. I actually couldn’t tolerate them anymore because my thyroid was working again and it was too much.

OP
C

Callmestar

I took a full replacement dose of thyroid for a bit over two years before discovering my low thyroid was due to low vitamin D. After supplementing D I was able to stop thyroid meds completely. I actually couldn’t tolerate them anymore because my thyroid was working again and it was too much.

That's reassuring.

OP
C

Callmestar

I can report I started cynoplus again yesterday afternoon, and again today, quater tablet in the morning and quarter tablet late afternoon. I am having the same usual subtle but positive effects when I started it last time, in that I feel warmer, a little more relaxed, and I am super hungry/eating more than usual (I've not had much of an appetite recently). I also feel more sleepy though, not sure if that's good but maybe just because i'm feeling calmer. I had similar effects last time I started thyroid meds but they all subsided after a few days and I felt as bad as ever. I don't know why? Hopefully this time is different.

Neeters 27

are you M or F? who prescribed cynoplus? with thyroid supplements, if you are truly hypo you need to fully replace what your thyroid should be making. adding a little still will mess up your feedback loop, which makes your own thyroid make even less, and then you are worse off. 8.6 means you are totally hypo. my doctor says tsh has to be 1.8 or below. if higher, then he treats...trust me you are hypo and need full replacement. if you go to a Naturopath here in Canada they can prescribe NDT. in the USA also. worth paying to go. approx $125 for first visit. also, your adrenal glands would have tried to overcompensate for low thyroid and makes one very anxious at first, then you crash and feel exhausted for weeks. get thyroid prescribed.

imaginaryfolk

I would love to start supplementing a little thyroid to help metabolism but whenver I try it no matter how small, im completely unable to fall asleep and even when I finally fall, the sleep only lasts 3 or 4 hours very frustating

Birdie

I take 45mg of Armour thyroid at bedtime and this has helped my sleep. I also take 90 on arising and 90 with breakfast. During the day I take (or aim to take) 1/4 of a T3 (cynomel) 4 times a day. My husband's routine is a little different but includes the same types of thyroid supplement.

Anyway that's what's working for us. We have adjusted our doses over the years. I should try cutting back on my morning dose but some take 240 of Armour and some much less or more. From my reading....

My TSH is below 1... and has been for many years since I supplement. I think Ray has mentioned a TSH around 1 is a good thing.

laleto12

I literally took 2 grains of thyroid (titrated up over the course of weeks/months) - and stopped 3 days ago cold turkey, nothing happened. My body might be resistant to the hormones. Its weird. I wasnt getting any benefit from the supplementation so thats why i've stopped.

Birdie

I literally took 2 grains of thyroid (titrated up over the course of weeks/months) - and stopped 3 days ago cold turkey, nothing happened. My body might be resistant to the hormones. Its weird. I wasnt getting any benefit from the supplementation so thats why i've stopped.
This is very interesting. What kind did you use? Do you feel your thyroid organ is doing the job well or are you still wondering what to do?

laleto12

This is very interesting. What kind did you use? Do you feel your thyroid organ is doing the job well or are you still wondering what to do?
My TSH were high than 3-4 before i started supplementing but didnt check after. I think I believe am hypothyroid really. I used tiromel/bitiron, the turkish version of cytomel.

sweetpeat

That's very interesting, and I'm glad you brought it up. I'm wondering if a similar thing is happening to me. I've been working on slowly raising my vitamin D levels and have noticed I seem to need less thyroid. In fact, I increased my vitamin D dose just yesterday, and felt rather hyper all night. It could just be coincidence, but I remember that Peat has mentioned a connection between vitamin D and thyroid. I would like to get my vitamin D levels to around 50 or 60 ng/mL. I've been in the 20s to 30s for a long time and prone to infections. It would be really cool if raising my vitamin D levels causes me to need less thyroid.

Last edited:

Neeters 27

That's very interesting, and I'm glad you brought it up. I'm wondering if a similar thing is happening to me. I've been working on slowly raising my vitamin D levels and have noticed I seem to need less thyroid. In fact, I increased my vitamin D dose just yesterday, and felt rather hyper all night. It could just be coincidence, but I remember that Peat has mentioned a connection between vitamin D and thyroid. I would like to get my vitamin D levels to around 50 or 60 ng/mL. I've been in the 20s to 30s for a long time and prone to infections. It would be really cool if raising my vitamin D levels causes me to need less thyroid.
in order to get your levels of D up you have to take D3 with K2, and take at least 5000 a DAY. it took me a year to get it up to optimum. i hover between 87 to 120 now. I dont go outside in the sun as I work from home all day, and cant take the heat anyway.

golder

in order to get your levels of D up you have to take D3 with K2, and take at least 5000 a DAY. it took me a year to get it up to optimum. i hover between 87 to 120 now. I dont go outside in the sun as I work from home all day, and cant take the heat anyway.
Which D3 do you use? Oral/topical? How much k2 do you take with the 5000iu D3?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals