Calcium "receptor" Antagonists May Be The Cure For Asthma

haidut

Forum Supporter
I was a little disappointed that the study did not look into the link between serotonin and asthma, but recognizing the destructive mechanism of calcium excitotoxicity is still a step in the right direction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... rough.html

"... Asthma could be cured within five years after scientists discovered what causes the condition and how to switch it off. In a breakthrough which could change the lives of Britain’s five million sufferers, researchers at Cardiff University and Kings College London identified which cells cause the airways to narrow when triggered by irritants like pollution. Crucially, drugs already exist which can deactivate the cells. They are known as calcilytics and are used to treat people with osteoporosis."

You want to kill multiple birds with one stone? Take cyproheptadine, which will take care of calcium, serotonin and histamine all in one pill. Btw, there are studies on PubMed going back 50 years, showing cyproheptadine to be effective treatment for asthma. I guess this emphasizes the fact that truth can be out there, accessible to everyone, and still not accepted and practiced. But better late than never.

chris

Thanks for posting this haidut, very interesting. I have asthma and have just started cyproheptadine within the past few days so it seems very relevant.

Dezz

At times I take cyproheptadine I get a bad reaction which causes my breathing to be much worse. It is such a shame I seem to not tolerate it. It does have many benefits for me but its a 50/50 gamble. It seems to go away after a few hours. Could it be my liver is having trouble metabolizing cypro?

RP has quoted "The lungs, with an acute injury to the liver, the lungs will become acutely inflamed." This seems highly true with me, I have had chronic breathing problems all my life till I seriously reduced the inflammation in my body by reducing PUFA and intestinal irritants. My breathing is far from perfect, but in the past 8 months I have improved a whole lot. Supplementing calcium seems to help my breathing, but I am not sure if the calcium carbonate I take is causing a minor stress/adrenalin response in my GI causing my airways to open.

At times when I feel like I can breathe my stomach isn't feeling the best. When I can't breathe my stomach feels completely fine.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dezz said:
At times I take cyproheptadine I get a bad reaction which causes my breathing to be much worse. It is such a shame I seem to not tolerate it. It does have many benefits for me but its a 50/50 gamble. It seems to go away after a few hours. Could it be my liver is having trouble metabolizing cypro?

RP has quoted "The lungs, with an acute injury to the liver, the lungs will become acutely inflamed." This seems highly true with me, I have had chronic breathing problems all my life till I seriously reduced the inflammation in my body by reducing PUFA and intestinal irritants. My breathing is far from perfect, but in the past 8 months I have improved a whole lot. Supplementing calcium seems to help my breathing, but I am not sure if the calcium carbonate I take is causing a minor stress/adrenalin response in my GI causing my airways to open.

At times when I feel like I can breathe my stomach isn't feeling the best. When I can't breathe my stomach feels completely fine.

It is possible for cypro to affect the iver. You can try magnesium as natural calcium antagonist and also zinc. I would test liver enzymes to confirm cypro effect on liver. It could be something else.

Dezz

I am using magnesium via epsom salt baths. It definitely helps my breathing. If I do decide to use zinc, what dosages would you advise?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dezz said:
I am using magnesium via epsom salt baths. It definitely helps my breathing. If I do decide to use zinc, what dosages would you advise?

Most human studies show optimal effects from <60mg zinc per day. More than that seems to have negative effects on steroid synthesis and prolactin, which is in indication of overdoing it even without overt toxicity symptoms. I think Peat recommends zinc gluconate as a good supplement form.

Peata

Dezz said:

I finally noticed this connection as well between GI irritation and breathing.

Also, Cypro did not help my coughing or allergies even up to about 12 mg.

But I pretty much have reduced issues with coughing and allergies lately.

BUT... I notice I cough if I'm emotionally/mentally stressed.

maillol

This is interesting. Increased calcium intake makes my breathing worse. Does this mean my body is not using it properly?

GorillaHead

This is interesting. Increased calcium intake makes my breathing worse. Does this mean my body is not using it properly?
I think I figured out why this happens to me, its go to do with the type of calcium, calcium carbonate is a powder and it can easily go airborne and this get in my lungs and induces asthma like symptoms

what type of calcium is best besides calcium carbonate

maillol

Cool. I read the actual article it to find out what they used. They looked at chloroquine and denatonium. I wonder what natural things could be tried. Is sour the same as bitter? Chocolate? Lemon? Grapefruit? Trouble is there are so many other compounds in these foods that it would be hard to know what's doing what.

Although bitter tastants are promising candidates to be developed as a new class of bronchodilators, and the findings in the present study provide the cellular and molecular rationale for this line of inquiry, we would caution that chloroquine and denatonium examined in this study may not be ideal candidates because of the high concentration (i.e., on the order of 100 mM) needed to fully relax precontracted ASM. This caveat, however, should not dampen enthusiasm for this endeavor as there are many thousands of bitter tastants available from plants and animals, and numerous bitter small molecules synthesized by research laboratories and a variety of companies over the years. In fact, bitter tastants can stimulate bitter taste receptors at concentrations in the nanomolar range: strychnine activates human TAS2R46 with an EC50 of 430 nM and aristolochic acid activates human TAS2R43 with an EC50 of 81 nM [84,85]. Therefore, it is highly likely that bitter tastants with a highly potent bronchodilating action can be discovered. Searching for these bitter tastants is of clinical significance because the current bronchodilators are insufficient for treating severe asthma and many COPD patients

Amazoniac

Cool. I read the actual article it to find out what they used. They looked at chloroquine and denatonium. I wonder what natural things could be tried. Is sour the same as bitter? Chocolate? Lemon? Grapefruit? Trouble is there are so many other compounds in these foods that it would be hard to know what's doing what.

Although bitter tastants are promising candidates to be developed as a new class of bronchodilators, and the findings in the present study provide the cellular and molecular rationale for this line of inquiry, we would caution that chloroquine and denatonium examined in this study may not be ideal candidates because of the high concentration (i.e., on the order of 100 mM) needed to fully relax precontracted ASM. This caveat, however, should not dampen enthusiasm for this endeavor as there are many thousands of bitter tastants available from plants and animals, and numerous bitter small molecules synthesized by research laboratories and a variety of companies over the years. In fact, bitter tastants can stimulate bitter taste receptors at concentrations in the nanomolar range: strychnine activates human TAS2R46 with an EC50 of 430 nM and aristolochic acid activates human TAS2R43 with an EC50 of 81 nM [84,85]. Therefore, it is highly likely that bitter tastants with a highly potent bronchodilating action can be discovered. Searching for these bitter tastants is of clinical significance because the current bronchodilators are insufficient for treating severe asthma and many COPD patients
I haven't read, but this might be relevant:
- Bitter Foods Increase Thyroid Function, Stomach Acid

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals