Blocking Cystine, And Thus Glutathione (GSH) Synthesis, Kills Cancer Stem Cells

mostlylurking

Hi, it sounds like we have some similarities. Maybe coffee depleted me due to lowering b1. I look forward to trying Purebulk b1. What brand of progesterone do you use and pregnenolone?
The vitamin e you take looks good, I will order some. I don't see a link for the magnesium.

Here are my thyroid numbers.

TSH 3.57 q 0.27-4.20
T3, Total 81 80-200

I tried cynomel t3, but it made me feel worse.

I will try to find a doctor who knows about Acella. But I am Maui and I doubt anyone here would even consider thyroid medication with my numbers. Does your doctor do telemedicine?
Well, your TSH is very high which tells me you need some professional help with your thyroid support. Don't give up on Maui just yet. Talk with the pharmacists, starting close by and see what turns up. There's good information to share with a willing doctor on Acella's website (click on For Practicioners and click that you are one) and also at this site: TPAUK (scroll down, click on For Doctors, then also read For Patients).

You can search online for endocrinologists on Maui. Here's a list of them. You can give them each a call and ask if they prescribe natural desiccated thyroid and/or thyroid meds that include T3 or specifically NP Thyroid by Acella. Do some sleuthing. Do not be hesitant to make an appointment (could be by phone even) and interview the doctor for the job. Read everything about hypothyroidism that Ray Peat has written and listen to his interviews about thyroid first so you will recognize a good doctor when you find one.

My doctor does not do telemedicine, sorry. He's on the far side of 82 and even getting through to his office staff by phone to make an appointment can take days.

Before I found my endo in 2015, I tried taking some T3 on my own too. It gave me heart palpitations. My endo read me the riot act for trying that on my own; he said I could have wound up in the emergency room.

I think Progest-E is a very good product. I get my pregnenolone from here. They sell progesterone too, but I find that it is too thin and runny to be user friendly. I'm used to rubbing into my gums so a thicker product works better for me.

movebetter

Well, your TSH is very high which tells me you need some professional help with your thyroid support. Don't give up on Maui just yet. Talk with the pharmacists, starting close by and see what turns up. There's good information to share with a willing doctor on Acella's website (click on For Practicioners and click that you are one) and also at this site: TPAUK (scroll down, click on For Doctors, then also read For Patients).

You can search online for endocrinologists on Maui. Here's a list of them. You can give them each a call and ask if they prescribe natural desiccated thyroid and/or thyroid meds that include T3 or specifically NP Thyroid by Acella. Do some sleuthing. Do not be hesitant to make an appointment (could be by phone even) and interview the doctor for the job. Read everything about hypothyroidism that Ray Peat has written and listen to his interviews about thyroid first so you will recognize a good doctor when you find one.

My doctor does not do telemedicine, sorry. He's on the far side of 82 and even getting through to his office staff by phone to make an appointment can take days.

Before I found my endo in 2015, I tried taking some T3 on my own too. It gave me heart palpitations. My endo read me the riot act for trying that on my own; he said I could have wound up in the emergency room.

I think Progest-E is a very good product. I get my pregnenolone from here. They sell progesterone too, but I find that it is too thin and runny to be user friendly. I'm used to rubbing into my gums so a thicker product works better for me.
Hi, thanks.
I have Projest-E. i haven't noticed any effects, neither bad nor good. maybe i need to take more. I was taking about a corn kernel size once per day. how much do you take? Also i noticed you said "I mix progesterone powder into it and it dissolves quickly into this vitamin E." So I am confused about how that works. Also, how much vitamin e and pregnenalone do you take?

I will see what I can do about finding a doctor here to prescribe
NP Thyroid by Acella

mostlylurking

thanks, i really appreciate your knowledge on these subjects. I will send back my order and order from purebulk. is their vitamin E good? any other suggestions? my biggest complaint is fatigue and depression. Been doing what i can on Peat's protocol but not helping, and because i have very low platelet count i can"t take niacinamide or asprin, also i have a problem digesting meat but am ok with fish, dairy and eggs. Coffee is not good for me.
I've been reading online and found something about low platelet count and remembered your post.

Low platelet count could be thromobcytopenia, right?
"Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) is an illness that can lead to bruising and bleeding. Low levels of the cells that help blood clot, also known as platelets, most often cause the bleeding."

link: The Vitamin Paradigm Wars
"Dr. A.G. Brox[15] and colleagues at McGill University found that two grams of ascorbic acid daily, successfully treated 7 out of 11 patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP). They had all been sick more than two months and had not responded to adrenocorticosteroids. Three had had splenectomies. Four had failed additional treatment including the current usual treatments. Their report had been rejected by the New England Journal of Medicine, I think, because they were then involved in a dispute with Linus Pauling. They had refused to advise him whether a rebuttal letter answering the Mayo cancer and ascorbic acid studies he had submitted would be published until he threatened them with legal action. Then they rejected it. I have one patient now with ITP on ascorbic acid who has been well over five years, but only as long as she remains on her ascorbic acid. If she discontinues it, her platelet count begins to sink within a few weeks."
-end paste-

Ray Peat was concerned about the contamination of today's vitamin C supply caused by the way it is now manufactured. I think his concern was that it may have lead contamination? Sorry, I don't remember. I have a friend whose doctor put her on some special vitamin C that was supposed to be safer/safe? So perhaps some research might be helpful to find a safe source for vitamin C?
Hi, thanks.
I have Projest-E. i haven't noticed any effects, neither bad nor good. maybe i need to take more. I was taking about a corn kernel size once per day. how much do you take? Also i noticed you said "I mix progesterone powder into it and it dissolves quickly into this vitamin E." So I am confused about how that works. Also, how much vitamin e and pregnenalone do you take?

I will see what I can do about finding a doctor here to prescribe
Progest-E is vitamine E with progesterone dissolved into it. I just make my own now. It's around 10% progesterone/90% vitamin E. Maybe 10.5% progesterone. Ray Peat explained about it in these audio shows:
I probably take double the amount you describe, in the evening when I'm winding down for bed. You may need a higher dose if you can't discern any effect from the dose you're taking. Different people need different doses.

I take around 80-100mgs of pregnenolone in the morning, mixed into my orange juice. This seems to be what works best for me. For a few months, I took a higher dose of it but my cholesterol spiked up and my doctor threatened me with Statins so I backed off the higher dose of pregnenolone and my cholesterol went back down which made my doctor happy.

movebetter

@mostlylurking says:
I take around 80-100mgs of pregnenolone in the morning, mixed into my orange juice.

I have taken pregnenalone on and off but some RP experts have told me there is no safe brand, so I have been hesitant. It sounds like you have found a pure enough brand and I will try.

"Progest-E is vitamine E with progesterone dissolved into it. I just make my own now. It's around 10% progesterone/90% vitamin E. Maybe 10.5% progesterone"
"I probably take double the amount you describe, in the evening when I'm winding down for bed."

since I am male, I was following the only RP advice I could find.
I do think it's safe to up the dose, so I will try.

"Low platelet count could be thromobcytopenia, right?"
yes, and I do have an all natural vitamin C. I wonder if that will work.

mostlylurking

@mostlylurking says:
I take around 80-100mgs of pregnenolone in the morning, mixed into my orange juice.

I have taken pregnenalone on and off but some RP experts have told me there is no safe brand, so I have been hesitant. It sounds like you have found a pure enough brand and I will try.

"Progest-E is vitamine E with progesterone dissolved into it. I just make my own now. It's around 10% progesterone/90% vitamin E. Maybe 10.5% progesterone"
"I probably take double the amount you describe, in the evening when I'm winding down for bed."

since I am male, I was following the only RP advice I could find.
I do think it's safe to up the dose, so I will try.

"Low platelet count could be thromobcytopenia, right?"
yes, and I do have an all natural vitamin C. I wonder if that will work.
That sounds like a good C! I'll go check it out, thanks.

The progesterone radio shows that I posted above does include info about progesterone for men. They are worth the time.

movebetter

@mostlylurking Hi, I just received the A. C. GRace vit e. It says to take
0.75ml but says nothing about how much that each pump is. I called them and they couldn't tell me. They are researching it and will call me back. Kind of weird. How are you dosing it?

mostlylurking

@mostlylurking Hi, I just received the A. C. GRace vit e. It says to take
0.75ml but says nothing about how much that each pump is. I called them and they couldn't tell me. They are researching it and will call me back. Kind of weird. How are you dosing it?
I started with this product 7-8 years ago. At that time, somewhere on the packaging, was a statement that a single pump equaled to 200mg. Although they have changed their packaging over the years, the size of the blat that comes out from one pump looks the same to me (although it may not be).

movebetter

I started with this product 7-8 years ago. At that time, somewhere on the packaging, was a statement that a single pump equaled to 200mg. Although they have changed their packaging over the years, the size of the blat that comes out from one pump looks the same to me (although it may not be).
Oh, so you use one pump

movebetter

i just found this on their website.

UNIQUE E® Mixed Tocopherols Concentrate Oil.
Available in a compact easy-to-carry 1oz. bottle.
.75 ml (one pump) = one 700mg softgel
Certified Vegan, Kosher and Halal friendly.

i did try one pump. i am not sure how much to use daily.

mostlylurking

i just found this on their website.

UNIQUE E® Mixed Tocopherols Concentrate Oil.
Available in a compact easy-to-carry 1oz. bottle.
.75 ml (one pump) = one 700mg softgel
Certified Vegan, Kosher and Halal friendly.

i did try one pump. i am not sure how much to use daily.
Actually, I use two pumps. I did see that info on their website, but I couldn't square that info with the info that originally came with the product saying one pump = 200mg. It's confusing to me because the size of the actual blat from one pump looks the same to me.

I use this product to mix my progesterone powder in. I use two pumps of it in the evening. Your own needs will not be just like my own. I think that researching vitamin E would be a good idea.

movebetter

Actually, I use two pumps. I did see that info on their website, but I couldn't square that info with the info that originally came with the product saying one pump = 200mg. It's confusing to me because the size of the actual blat from one pump looks the same to me.

I use this product to mix my progesterone powder in. I use two pumps of it in the evening. Your own needs will not be just like my own. I think that researching vitamin E would be a good idea.
I think I will try 1 pump per day and see how it goes. The person I talked with from the company didn't know how to measure the recommended dose. He said he would call me back, but has not as yet. I may look for another brand next time because I get concerned when they put out confusing information and are unable to explain it.

mostlylurking

I think I will try 1 pump per day and see how it goes. The person I talked with from the company didn't know how to measure the recommended dose. He said he would call me back, but has not as yet. I may look for another brand next time because I get concerned when they put out confusing information and are unable to explain it.
If you have a digital gram scale you could pump out a blat and see how many milligrams it weighs. This is a good company with good products. I think the problem is that the pump is splatting out milliliters (volume) and you want to know milligrams (weight). Different liquids have different weights so it's not a simple conversion process, but weighing the blat with a scale would tell you.

movebetter

If you have a digital gram scale you could pump out a blat and see how many milligrams it weighs. This is a good company with good products. I think the problem is that the pump is splatting out milliliters (volume) and you want to know milligrams (weight). Different liquids have different weights so it's not a simple conversion process, but weighing the blat with a scale would tell you.
Thanks, I don't have a scale. I will continue to experiment. I hear that you should feel a little more energy shortly after taking it. Is that your experience? I saw a post for Georgia said he found a problem with this brand. But that was about 10 years ago. I will continue to research vitamin e and dosages.

mostlylurking

Thanks, I don't have a scale. I will continue to experiment. I hear that you should feel a little more energy shortly after taking it. Is that your experience? I saw a post for Georgia said he found a problem with this brand. But that was about 10 years ago. I will continue to research vitamin e and dosages.
I dissolve progesterone into the vitamin E and take that. Progesterone is relaxing/calming. Ray Peat said that he got the idea to dissolve progesterone into vitamine E because they both work on the same pathways. They are anti-estrogenic.

Here is a search engine you might find helpful:
PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless Use the search box that excludes the forum. Ignore the first several links in the search results that try to lead you away from raypeat.com. Right now, there's a sombrero icon next to the raypeat.com results, but sometimes it's an icecream cone icon instead.
Here's the results for a search for Vitamin E.

movebetter

More information about the dosage of thiamine regarding cancer:
For thiamine (B1), "The RDA for adults is 1.2 mg/day for men and 1.1 mg/day for women." So 1.2mg/day for men X 2500=3000mg/day. That said, I remember that I did the math on this a year or so ago and was relieved to learn that my 2000mg/day of thiamine hcl regimen was considered safe regarding the effect that size dose has on cancer growth. I'll see if I can find the study.

"Self-supplementation vitamin preparations containing levels of thiamine greater than the RDI are readily accessible and considered to be safe and harmless for patients (Table 1). Although the use of thiamine to treat deficiency-related symptoms attributed to the disease or therapy is warranted, this is currently done with limited comprehension of the role thiamine may contribute towards malignant progression. In light of our knowledge regarding alterations of thiamine homeostasis in cancer, the impact of thiamine supplementation on cancer growth has received minimal research attention. In 2001, Comin-Anduix et al. evaluated the effect of increasing thiamine supplementation in multiples of the RDI on an Ehrlich ascites tumor-mouse model [58]. Their findings indicated a statistically significant stimulatory effect of thiamine supplementation on tumor growth compared to non-supplemented controls. Moderate doses of 12.5 to 37.5 times the RDI had the greatest stimulatory effect, peaking at approximately 250% greater tumor cell proliferation with 25 times the RDI. Interestingly, at values above 75 times the RDI, no change was found in tumor cell proliferation, and a slight decrease was found at 2,500 times the RDI. This observation suggests that there is a specific range in which thiamine supports proliferation. A recent study explored the relationship between a high-fat diet and thiamine levels on the tumor latency in the Tg(MMTVneu) spontaneous breast cancer-tumor mouse model [59]. In this study a normal-fat (NF) diet contained 10% of the calories from fat while the high-fat diet contained 60%. Low thiamine (LT) levels were defined as 2 mg of thiamine per 4,057 kcal and normal thiamine (NT) levels as 6 mg per 4,057 kcal. Tumor latency was significantly longer (295 days) in animals given a NF/LT diet compared with animals on NF/NT (225 days). Interestingly,the delay in tumor latency from LT was abolished when given a high-fat diet. This demonstrates an important interplay of dietary constituents on tumor progression that needs further characterization. Although more research is needed to confirm and evaluate the role of thiamine on disease progression, these studies have significant clinical implications. First, patients requiring thiamine to treat either chemotherapy or disease-associated deficiency should receive high-dose thiamine to avoid enhancing tumor growth. Second, self-supplementation of thiamine by cancer patients should be avoided as the low-to-moderate levels of thiamine may contribute to disease exacerbation."
-end paste-

Unfortunately, this study only names high-fat and not the saturation of the fat. Polyunsaturated fat (PUFA) is known to be carcinogenic. PUFA is known to deplete thiamine, (at least in the Salmon farming industry). Thiamine is required for oxidative metabolism. When oxidative metabolism is blocked, the result is what Otto Warburg called the Cancer Metabolism.

""Warburg Effect" refers to Otto Warburg's observation that cancer cells produce lactic acid even in the presence of adequate oxygen."
"From the 19th century until the second quarter of the 20th century, cancer was investigated mainly as a metabolic problem. This work, understanding the basic chemistry of metabolism, was culminating in the 1920s in the work of Otto Warburg and Albert Szent-Gyorgyi on respiration. Warburg demonstrated as early as 1920 that a respiratory defect, causing aerobic glycolysis, i.e., the production of lactic acid even in the presence of oxygen, was an essential feature of cancer. (The formation of lactic acid is normal and adaptive when the supply of oxygen isn't adequate to meet energy demands, for example when running.)"

Hi mostlylurking,

I am confused. Can you help?

the study you cite above says: "Their findings indicated a statistically significant stimulatory effect of thiamine supplementation on tumor growth compared to non-supplemented controls. Moderate doses of 12.5 to 37.5 times the RDI had the greatest stimulatory effect, peaking at approximately 250% greater tumor cell proliferation with 25 times the RDI. Interestingly, at values above 75 times the RDI, no change was found in tumor cell proliferation, and a slight decrease was found at 2,500 times the RDI."

above, you say "for thiamine (B1), "The RDA for adults is 1.2 mg/day for men and 1.1 mg/day for women." So 1.2mg/day for men X 2500=3000mg/day"

so if one is dealing with an active cancer, it sounds like you need to take at least, 3000mg per day to get a slight decrease in proliferation. and anything below 75 times can cause increased proliferation. Am I understanding this correctly?

and below you say: "So long as you take higher doses of thiamine (greater than 100mg/day) it should be either neutral or beneficial for you. It just makes everything in your body work better. I've been high dosing thiamine hcl (1 gram, 2Xday) for 3 years and am doing very well on it."

so 100mg is above the 75 times so it should be safe, but to get some benefit I should try taking 3000mg. Does that sound right?

mostlylurking

Hi mostlylurking,

I am confused. Can you help?

the study you cite above says: "Their findings indicated a statistically significant stimulatory effect of thiamine supplementation on tumor growth compared to non-supplemented controls. Moderate doses of 12.5 to 37.5 times the RDI had the greatest stimulatory effect, peaking at approximately 250% greater tumor cell proliferation with 25 times the RDI. Interestingly, at values above 75 times the RDI, no change was found in tumor cell proliferation, and a slight decrease was found at 2,500 times the RDI."

above, you say "for thiamine (B1), "The RDA for adults is 1.2 mg/day for men and 1.1 mg/day for women." So 1.2mg/day for men X 2500=3000mg/day"

so if one is dealing with an active cancer, it sounds like you need to take at least, 3000mg per day to get a slight decrease in proliferation. and anything below 75 times can cause increased proliferation. Am I understanding this correctly?

and below you say: "So long as you take higher doses of thiamine (greater than 100mg/day) it should be either neutral or beneficial for you. It just makes everything in your body work better. I've been high dosing thiamine hcl (1 gram, 2Xday) for 3 years and am doing very well on it."

so 100mg is above the 75 times so it should be safe, but to get some benefit I should try taking 3000mg. Does that sound right?
If you have active cancer and want to try thiamine, it would be a really good idea to educate yourself about the different types of thiamine to get some understanding about the differences in the dosages, along with other pros and cons of the different types available.

When reading about thiamine in scientific studies, I think it is a pretty good bet to assume they are referring to thiamine hcl unless they state otherwise. Thiamine hcl has been around since the 1930's (maybe earlier?) and is considered a "safe supplement". Because thiamine hcl does not get through the intestinal wall very well when taken orally, larger doses are needed. I suspect that this 3000mg dose per day mentioned above refers to thiamine hcl. Physicians (like Dr. Costantini) prefer to inject thiamine hcl instead of giving it orally for this reason. Dr. Costantini's website provides information about how much thiamine hcl needs to be taken orally per week to equal taking a single 100mg injection of thiamine hcl.

Dr. Costantini's site includes estimated dose sizes based on the patient's weight. You aren't supposed to experience any negative side effects from it but if you do it is most likely you are taking too high a dose. Dr. Costantini said that if a patient has negative effects he would stop the treatment for a week and then resume at perhaps 50% of the problematic dose.

When I started taking high dose thiamine hcl in the fall of 2020, I started with 300-350mg, 2Xday and spent 4 months slowly increasing my dose until I tried 1 gram, 2Xday. I experienced major digestive tract normalization within 2 days of taking that dose. I never experienced a negative symptom except for the one time that I tried to increase that 2grams/day dose up to 2.5 gram/day. I experienced shooting electrical zapping pains in my thighs that night when I went to bed. The next day I lowered my dose back down to the 2 grams/day and am doing well still on that dose. I personally would not be able to tolerate 3 grams/day.

I think that thiamine has the potential to stop/reverse cancer by ending what Otto Warburg called "the Cancer Metabolism" where instead of carbon dioxide being the end product of oxidative metabolism, lactic acid is the end product instead. I experienced all my pain from lactic acidosis clear up within 45 minutes of taking my first dose of thiamine hcl (300-350mg). My response to that dose told me I had found a major key to my health problems.

links:

mostlylurking

I don't believe that's true myself. I think a person would benefit massively by taking enough thiamine to curtail the Warburg effect which results in lactic acidosis. My own lactic acidosis disappeared quickly after taking 300-350mg of thiamine hcl WITH WATER (NOT JUICE). Then it was a matter of finding the best tolerated and most helpful dose to take. For me, that's 1 gram of thiamine hcl, taken orally, around 10:00am, then again around 3:00pm.

Oxidative metabolism can be blocked by hypothyoidism too. I'm hypothyroid and I take a prescription thyroid med, NP Thyroid by Acella. I rely on a good endocrinologist to help me determine the dose I need.

I definitely would avoid taking thiamine hcl in doses as low as 100mg/day. It's those low doses that can be problematic, according to the study.

movebetter

I don't believe that's true myself. I think a person would benefit massively by taking enough thiamine to curtail the Warburg effect which results in lactic acidosis. My own lactic acidosis disappeared quickly after taking 300-350mg of thiamine hcl WITH WATER (NOT JUICE). Then it was a matter of finding the best tolerated and most helpful dose to take. For me, that's 1 gram of thiamine hcl, taken orally, around 10:00am, then again around 3:00pm.

Oxidative metabolism can be blocked by hypothyoidism too. I'm hypothyroid and I take a prescription thyroid med, NP Thyroid by Acella. I rely on a good endocrinologist to help me determine the dose I need.

I definitely would avoid taking thiamine hcl in doses as low as 100mg/day. It's those low doses that can be problematic, according to the study.
I just found this but it's kind of over my head but it seems there isn't clarity on B1 for cancer. The last thing they say is "Indeed, a more cautious approach would be advisable before recommending the widespread use of thiamine in patients with cancer." Which kind of scares me. You seem better at understanding these scientific papers. What do you think?

mostlylurking

I just found this but it's kind of over my head but it seems there isn't clarity on B1 for cancer. The last thing they say is "Indeed, a more cautious approach would be advisable before recommending the widespread use of thiamine in patients with cancer." Which kind of scares me. You seem better at understanding these scientific papers. What do you think?

a quote from the linked article:
"Thiamine supplementation may contribute to a high rate of tumor cell survival, proliferation and chemotherapy resistance. Thiamine has also been implicated in cancer through its effects on matrix metalloproteinases, prostaglandins, cyclooxygenase-2, reactive oxygen species, and nitric oxide synthase. However, some studies have suggested that thiamine may exhibit some antitumor effects. The role of thiamine in cancer is controversial. However, thiamine deficiency may occur in patients with cancer and cause serious disorders, including Wernicke’s encephalopathy, that require parenteral thiamine supplementation. A very high dose of thiamine produces a growth-inhibitory effect in cancer. Therefore, further investigations of thiamine in cancer are needed to clarify this relationship."

The title of the article is:

The Role of Thiamine in Cancer: Possible Genetic and Cellular Signaling Mechanisms​

It is posted in this publication: Cancer Genomics & Proteomics.

I'm a Ray Peat fan. This puts me in the camp that believes most illness is caused by environmental factors. "Modern" medicine got hijacked by the Genetics devotees sometime after WWII and around Nixon's time as President. Peat discusses this quite a bit. The perspective that blames EVERYTHING on genetics also holds the idea that cancer cells are evil and must be destroyed. Another way to look at it is that the cancer cells are sick because their environment is damaging to them.

The oncologists who practice slash and burn don't like things that get in the way of their slash and burn. Improving the quality of the patient's internal environment can do that. Many oncologists don't like thiamine because it will cancel out the devastating effects of chemotherapy drugs which are used to slash and burn cancer cells.

suggested reading:
The prior Ray Peat articles linked to earlier.
also:
bioenergetic search This is a search for "genetics" in Ray Peat interviews. Read through, find one you find of interest, listen to the program.
also:

I cannot make the decision to take thiamine for you. This is your body and your decision. I encourage you to learn about it and to also learn about the problems that are rampant with the current popular cancer "treatments" promoted by the Medical Industrial Complex.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals