Bagbreathing Question From A New Member

Vinny

Hi, wise elders of Peat Mountain,

I have recently started to breath in the mentioned way. Noticed, sometimes i make only several breaths, and im done. Another time, it seems i can continue endlesly... Does anybody know why is that? Thanks

OP
Vinny

Vinny

no suggestions?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi, wise elders of Peat Mountain,

I have recently started to breath in the mentioned way. Noticed, sometimes i make only several breaths, and im done. Another time, it seems i can continue endlesly... Does anybody know why is that? Thanks
Sorry I had meant to answer this to the best of my ability a few days ago and got sidetracked.
If your CO2 levels are already adequate then it will feel difficult to bag breathe for any length of time. Our bodies have a finely tuned feedback mechanism in regards to CO2 levels and breathing is how we blow off excess/unneeded Co2. I would never push through forcing bag breathing when it is difficult. If it’s comfortable and relaxing you can assume that it’s safe ( in the absence of severe lung disease).

OP
Vinny

Vinny

Sorry I had meant to answer this to the best of my ability a few days ago and got sidetracked.
If your CO2 levels are already adequate then it will feel difficult to bag breathe for any length of time. Our bodies have a finely tuned feedback mechanism in regards to CO2 levels and breathing is how we blow off excess/unneeded Co2. I would never push through forcing bag breathing when it is difficult. If it’s comfortable and relaxing you can assume that it’s safe ( in the absence of severe lung disease).
thanks a lot!

Our ability to bag breathe comfortably depends upon our present CO2 levels. After eating will be more difficult, for instance. Waking and then bag breathing can be difficult if we were hyperventilating at night. After exercise while nose breathing may be much easier.

OP
Vinny

Vinny

Our ability to bag breathe comfortably depends upon our present CO2 levels. After eating will be more difficult, for instance. Waking and then bag breathing can be difficult if we were hyperventilating at night. After exercise while nose breathing may be much easier.
thank you!

nad

And what does it mean if my blood work shows CO2 level is 32, range is below 29? Is it dangerous? I did'n know and still practicing hold or bag breathing. Should I stop?
BTW, I remember Ray Peat said if you not produce enough of CO2 you can't fill the bag, and sometimes I can breath 10 min with no discomfort.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
And what does it mean if my blood work shows CO2 level is 32, range is below 29? Is it dangerous? I did'n know and still practicing hold or bag breathing. Should I stop?
BTW, I remember Ray Peat said if you not produce enough of CO2 you can't fill the bag, and sometimes I can breath 10 min with no discomfort.
If it’s venous blood (which I’m fairly certain it is) it’s actually an indicator of bicarbonate levels. Only a blood gas will actually tell you your C02. With that said I don’t believe 32 is dangerous in any way. Your bicarbonate is probably slightly elevated to buffer your co2. It sounds like your bag breathing and breath holds are effective. @ecstatichamster or @Dr. C might have additional or more detailed input.

nad

If it’s venous blood (which I’m fairly certain it is) it’s actually an indicator of bicarbonate levels. Only a blood gas will actually tell you your C02. With that said I don’t believe 32 is dangerous in any way. Your bicarbonate is probably slightly elevated to buffer your co2. It sounds like your bag breathing and breath holds are effective. @ecstatichamster or @Dr. C might have additional or more detailed input.
Thank you Blossom so much, you put out my fear. Ironically I didn't bag breathing regularly before test, just occasionally hold breath for 15 sec. few times at night when my heart started pounding just for lie down in bed. Have no idea why CO2 in blood jumped up., it was always much lower even w/more holding in past. You said bicarbonate is probably slightly elevated to buffer my co2, why it should be buffering, it means CO2 at least enough? Why it's accumulating?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you Blossom so much, you put out my fear. Ironically I didn't bag breathing regularly before test, just occasionally hold breath for 15 sec. few times at night when my heart started pounding just for lie down in bed. Have no idea why CO2 in blood jumped up., it was always much lower even w/more holding in past. You said bicarbonate is probably slightly elevated to buffer my co2, why it should be buffering, it means CO2 at least enough? Why it's accumulating?
It’s speculation but hopefully from your metabolism improving or your breath holds/bag breathing. Bicarbonate is a buffer and can fluctuate according to your body chemistry. I honestly don’t think a couple points above lab range is concerning in the absence of any major health problems.

nad

It’s speculation but hopefully from your metabolism improving or your breath holds/bag breathing. Bicarbonate is a buffer and can fluctuate according to your body chemistry. I honestly don’t think a couple points above lab range is concerning in the absence of any major health problems.
Thank you again. Yea, nothing like ''emergency'', but a lot of ''little of range''s - little elevated liver enzymes chronically for few years along w/ little too low white blood cells, little too high hemoglobin and hematocrit, little elevated D-dimer, little too high TSH, BP, body temp 34,4 C, etc. etc. etc. All those ''little'' together like snow flakes that forming big snow ball and it's really heavy. Plus when it's some really scary cases when heart just starts stopping every few seconds.. along w/panic & migraine and without availability to rest & sleep. I've get a habit to live w/it. CO2 just new one, that's why I asked. And I'm glad I did, because my doc just want me to get cholesterol lowering drugs (my is 315), and diuretics, and here I got help, thank you.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you again. Yea, nothing like ''emergency'', but a lot of ''little of range''s - little elevated liver enzymes chronically for few years along w/ little too low white blood cells, little too high hemoglobin and hematocrit, little elevated D-dimer, little too high TSH, BP, body temp 34,4 C, etc. etc. etc. All those ''little'' together like snow flakes that forming big snow ball and it's really heavy. Plus when it's some really scary cases when heart just starts stopping every few seconds.. along w/panic & migraine and without availability to rest & sleep. I've get a habit to live w/it. CO2 just new one, that's why I asked. And I'm glad I did, because my doc just want me to get cholesterol lowering drugs (my is 315), and diuretics, and here I got help, thank you.
I’m sorry to hear about all of that. I can understand your anxiety. I hope you start feeling better soon.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals