new to the forum and need serious guidance please :/

Swandattur

Isn't the deal with acne that having it might mean your metabolism is doing better, but you need more vitamin A to support it? So, if it goes away, but you don't feel healthy, then your metabolism has slowed. What Dannylingo is saying about skin irritation from the sun interests me, because my older son complains about that problem. I think he probably has some sort of metabolism issue, because he has mood ups and downs that seem to be mostly hypoglycemic, and his face often seems puffy to me. He often has morning headaches that may not go away for hours. If I really knew what I was doing I might try to advise him about diet more, but since I don't, I don't. He gets very upset if things get too complicated. I just try to nudge in the right direction like suggesting cutting back on starch and vegetable oil, and I gave him some grass fed ghee for vitamin K. I suggested trying a big bowl of ice cream for the headache or a lot of something sweet at any rate. Not trying to be an overprotective mother, but you can't help but want to help the people you love.

OP
D

dannylingo

what seems to help his symptoms the most? i notice the sun gets worse after lunch break idk if that helps

OP
D

dannylingo

and regaurding the acne that is exactly what i think! oddly enough recently i am starting to see forhead acne again

Swandattur

I had just read a Ray Peat quote saying that he had figured the acne/ vitamin A/ metabolism thing from his own experience. I have wondered about acne type of issues myself. So, it's helpful to know. On the sun damage question, I believe I read that Peat said polyunsaturated oils make the skin more vulnerable to damage from the sun. Also, I think some type of light can heal the damage if you get to it right away. Now, I've started thinking about it, I'd like to find out more about it. If I find anything else, I will let you know.

HDD

My 18 yr. old son says the sun makes him break out. I have been giving him some vitamin A drops and he is attempting to eat a little liver. It seems to clear up his acne. I have sun damaged skin that has gotten worse as metabolism is getting better. Ray Peat says as the metabolism increases so does the requirement for nutrients. I think in my case, I wasn't getting enough protein.

Swandattur

That's right. I think on this forum somewhere, they had a quote, or just said that Peat said he got acne after sun exposure and then realized it had boosted his metabolism and caused the acne. He realized his revved up metabolism just needed more nutrients to support it or vitamin A in this case. Really it is such an important point, maybe it should be stated on the home page. Something like: Warning: improved metabolism requires a nutrient dense diet. That might be cute to do it in a cartoon form. It could be funny! Well anyway...

Swandattur

Maybe that type has to do with endotoxin, because food intolerance would cause that I think. Back when I was doing low carb, I mostly didn't have acne and I think my rosacia was better than it had been, but I had this sebaceous cyst that went way down on low carb, but any time I cheated and ate even a little starch it would come back up. On my version of a Peat diet it has stayed tiny. I'm not eating starch now either, partly to normalize blood sugars. Since I've been doing this type of diet, I have been to my dermatologist and he especially commented that my skin looked good as far as any precancerous places and with no roseacia in evidence. I imagine that less endotoxin due to carrot salad was one reason.

HDD

Swandattur said:
Something like: Warning: improved metabolism requires a nutrient dense diet. That might be cute to do it in a cartoon form. It could be funny! Well anyway...

Good idea!!

OP
D

dannylingo

now remembering, bac when i had cystic acne before all these diets..my acne was at its worse in the summer! my dad said the same about his acne when he was young. so i would assume that plenty of calories and a lot of sun should theoretically be healing to the thyroid?

Mittir

Besides PUFA damage in sun, bright light increases need for vitamin A , so does use of thyroid supplement. Vitamin A is used in making steroids like progesterone DHEA etc from cholesterol. You have to make sure you are getting good amount of vitamin A when you are exposed to bright light and using T3. RP mentioned that he was having acne problem when he had prolong exposure to light. He thinks vitamin A and Thyroid supplement usually solves acne problem. Intestine and food sensitivity plays a big role too.

OP
D

dannylingo

j.- i will definitely increase my vitamin a intae and monitor how that goes for the upcoming days.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals