Are There Differing Effects from Differing Types Of Ginseng?

DMF

I'm learning Red Ginseng is 'yang' and white ginseng 'yin', therefore less stimulating.
Are the differences in all the family of Ginseng minimal or obvious > Siberian - Wisconsin - Chinese?

AlaskaJono

I'm learning Red Ginseng is 'yang' and white ginseng 'yin', therefore less stimulating.
Are the differences in all the family of Ginseng minimal or obvious > Siberian - Wisconsin - Chinese?
They are not really related function wise (IN TCM), except for the scientific "adaptogenic properties" which are most researched I believe in the Red Ginseng and Eleuthero types. Korean/Chinese Red is the Yang tonic- aphrodisiac fame. 30 years ago one could get solid very good quality for reasonable money. (50$ usd.) Now it is more than 2x and there are so many fake products on the market. They figured out how to extract most of it out and keep enough in the dried root to appear as the real thing. White ginseng or American ginseng is more of a Yin tonic. Also there is "other " species related like Eleutherococcus Senticosus or Siberian Ginseng which is more functional like Red but not as hot, a real Qi tonic (more than strongly Yin or Yang, but slightly on the yang side of neutral. All may be used in small amounts in a formula of 4-10 ingredients for building up Qi reserves after a long bout of illness or weakness.

OP
D

DMF

They are not really related function wise (IN TCM), except for the scientific "adaptogenic properties" which are most researched I believe in the Red Ginseng and Eleuthero types. Korean/Chinese Red is the Yang tonic- aphrodisiac fame. 30 years ago one could get solid very good quality for reasonable money. (50$ usd.) Now it is more than 2x and there are so many fake products on the market. They figured out how to extract most of it out and keep enough in the dried root to appear as the real thing. White ginseng or American ginseng is more of a Yin tonic. Also there is "other " species related like Eleutherococcus Senticosus or Siberian Ginseng which is more functional like Red but not as hot, a real Qi tonic (more than strongly Yin or Yang, but slightly on the yang side of neutral. All may be used in small amounts in a formula of 4-10 ingredients for building up Qi reserves after a long bout of illness or weakness.
I get Red Korean ginseng in "slices" or cross sections that on average are about the size of a nickel. They can have quite a potent affect, but are you saying these slices might've already been 'extracted'?

AlaskaJono

I get Red Korean ginseng in "slices" or cross sections that on average are about the size of a nickel. They can have quite a potent affect, but are you saying these slices might've already been 'extracted'?
If you are getting a potent effect, as in a hardon or tingles, sure it's good. I don't know how you are taking this: slow boil with a lid for 2 hours and the root should still be hard and have stuff in it. Same with an alcohol extract. Chips of ginseng in vodka should take a few weeks to lose the redness. If after 3 days the root is clear, then they have been pre-extracted and then re-soaked. There is some good quality out there. :):

OP
D

DMF

If you are getting a potent effect, as in a hardon or tingles, sure it's good. I don't know how you are taking this: slow boil with a lid for 2 hours and the root should still be hard and have stuff in it. Same with an alcohol extract. Chips of ginseng in vodka should take a few weeks to lose the redness. If after 3 days the root is clear, then they have been pre-extracted and then re-soaked. There is some good quality out there. :):
I'm able to swim in cold water when I 'down' a slice 10-15 minutes before I get in the water.
They're from this Chinese herbal shop on Argyle in Chicago, $5 for small bag. Most folks can't get their hands on something like this depending on where they live.
I'm going to ask her for white ginseng next time.

AlaskaJono

I'm able to swim in cold water when I 'down' a slice 10-15 minutes before I get in the water.
They're from this Chinese herbal shop on Argyle in Chicago, $5 for small bag. Most folks can't get their hands on something like this depending on where they live.
That's sounds like a killa deal. Yeah those chips are hard as rocks too.

AlaskaJono

Hey DMF, How's it going with the Ginseng experiment? I just remembered this experience: Years ago I was in a martial arts class, and my sparring partner seemed a little distracted. Then I noticed or felt him "zipping in and out of his body" many times a second, a bit strange. That particular excercise the Sifu turned the lights out so it was almost dark, to increase our awareness of centering, movement, etc. . Then I smelt my spar partner's breath, and it was "HOT". So I blurted out "Dude - what are you doing, just downing Ginseng and Yang tonics?" He looked at me in wonderment, and asked how I knew. He also was a TCM student at that time. He needed to take a balanced formula (yin and yang) or a slightly more yin oriented tonic in my opinion. His misdiagnosis of himself (the skewed self perception) led to him taking herbs that made him more Yang, when he did not need it. So just make sure of your constitution and don't add petrol to the fire, if you know what I mean. Cheers.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals