AIDS Patients Have High PUFA

J

j.

From Functional PS:

Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol. 1988 Jul;24(7):1179-83.
Abnormal free fatty acids and cortisol concentrations in the serum of AIDS patients.
Christeff N, Michon C, Goertz G, Hassid J, Matheron S, Girard PM, Coulaud JP, Nunez EA.

The serum free fatty acid (FFA), cortisol and urinary creatinine, 17-hydzoxycorticosteroid and 17-oxosteroid concentrations of acquired immunedeficiency syndrome (AIDS-I: beginning and AIDS-II: end phase) and AIDS-related complex (ARC) patients were determined. Both groups were compared to a control group (healthy men). ARC and AIDS-I patients. The ratios of stearic (C18:0) to oleic (C18:1) acid were 75%, P less than 0.01 (ARC) and 45%, P less than 0.05 (AIDS-I) greater than normal, due to a decrease in the relative percentage of monounsaturated fatty acids by 25%, P less than 0.001 (ARC) and 20%, P less than 0.01 (AIDS-I). In contrast, the relative percentage of polyunsaturated fatty acids was 85% greater than normal (P less than 0.001) in ARC and 100% greater than normal (P less than 0.001) in AIDS-I patients. Total FFA levels did not differ from controls. Serum cortisol levels were 35% (P less than 0.01) above normal in ARC and 60% (P less than 0.001) above normal in AIDS-I patients. Urinary 17-hydroxycorticosteroids and 17-oxosteroids were very low (2-3-fold lower than normal values, P less than 0.001) in both groups of patients. Urinary creatinine did not differ from controls. In AIDS-II patients the total FFA concentration was below normal 35% (P less than 0.01) and the stearic/oleic acid ratio was 50% above normal (P less than 0.05). The relative percentages of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids in this group were similar to those of controls. Serum cortisol concentrations were significantly higher, 50% (P less than 0.001), but the urinary 17-hydroxycorticosteroids and 17-oxosteroids were 2-fold lower (P less than 0.001) than those of controls. Urinary creatinine did not differ from controls. These significant differences from normal may be implicated in the pathophysiology of AIDS and could represent not only a good index of diagnosis and prognosis, but also indicate new therapeutic approach to the disease.

OP
J

j.

Ray Peat said:
Unsaturated oils, especially polyunsaturates, weaken the immune system's function in ways that are similar to the damage caused by radiation, hormone imbalance, cancer, aging, or viral infections. The media discuss sexually transmitted and drug-induced immunodeficiency, but it isn't yet considered polite to discuss vegetable oil-induced immunodeficiency.

Link

OP
J

j.

As usual, RP advice for AIDS I think is thyroid.

Sounds like starvation. Of course we know if two factors can provoke the same condition, there's a good chance fighting one factor can treat the condition even if it's caused by the other one.

OP
J

j.

So the study was published in 88, about 25 years ago, and no one ever tested and published the results of the treatment ideas from that paper?

OP
J

j.

Since PUFAs are immunosuppressive, and AIDS patients have high PUFA, restricting them in the diet seems reasonable. How could it not work in reducing PUFA levels in the blood? The only way I can think it wouldn't work is if the AIDS patients convert saturated fats into PUFAs, which maybe isn't even possible.

SQu

AIDS is high here especially amongst the poor. I notice what poorer people eat and the dominance of pufas because they're cheap. Also lots of starch and less meat ,though healthier cuts. probably not enough protein. They have very high stress too. But unless they think of buying and rendering beef fat (also cheap until I suppose Tim Noakes changes that ) then getting more sfas is unlikely.

A

Adnada

Eleni Papadopulos-Eleopulos and others in The Perth Group have been researching HIV/AIDS and have attempted to get their work considered and published in mainstream journals with no success, surprise, surprise.

From virusmyth.com:
What The Perth Group has argued:
-Failure to prove the existence of a unique, exogenously acquired retrovirus, HIV.
-Failure to verify the HIV antibody tests proof of HIV infection.
-Failure to prove HIV causes immune deficiency (destruction of T4 lymphocytes) or AIDS.
-The impossibility of haemophiliacs acquiring HIV following factor VIII infusions.
-Failure to prove the HIV genome, (RNA or DNA) originates in a unique exogenously acquired infectious retroviral particle.
-Failure to prove HIV/AIDS is infectious, either by blood, blood products or sexual intercourse.
-Failure to prove what is called AIDS in Africa or Thailand is caused by HIV or is sexually transmitted.
-That AIDS and all the phenomena inferred as "HIV" are induced by changes in cellular redox brought about by the oxidative nature of substances and exposures common to all the AIDS risk groups and to the cells used in the "culture" and "isolation" of HIV.
-That AIDS will not spread outside the original risk groups and that cessation of exposure to oxidants and/or use of anti-oxidants will improve the outcome of AIDS patients.
-That pharmacological data prove AZT cannot kill HIV and AZT is toxic to all cells and may cause AIDS.

From http://www.robertogiraldo.com/eng/paper ... fAids.html:
-AIDS occurs in groups of people who through their living conditions or life styles are more heavily exposed than others to the multiple, repeated, and chronic actions of immunological stressor agents
The latter quote makes me think of Hans Selye.

jyb

Adnada said:
Eleni Papadopulos-Eleopulos and others in The Perth Group have been researching HIV/AIDS and have attempted to get their work considered and published in mainstream journals with no success, surprise, surprise.

A simpler explanation would be that her work is so crap it is not even worthy of publication. Which I think is the more likely hypothesis, as I don't believe it cannot be transmitted by blood or sexual intercourse - which is her claim.

Mittir

The whole history of AIDS is strange and full of false information. RP mentioned
Duesberg theory on AIDS in his article. Though RP did not explicitly mention if
HIV virus causes AIDS, but he added that AIDS scientists failed to answer the questions
Duesberg raised. Here is a very informative documentary on history of AIDS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwgmzbnckII
It seems like Nobel prize awarded for discovery of HIV was based
on totally flawed experiment. Peter Duesberg made few prediction about
AIDS 30 years ago and all of those prediction turned out to be true.
One prediction was that there will be no useful vaccine against AIDS
because HIV does not cause aids. He was also right about AZT and
predicted explosion of AIDS.

EDIT: That youtube channel has dozens of extended interviews with scientists
those were interviewed in the original documentary.

First one disputes the study that got nobel prize.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZCMt4P1wnw

This one questions the population model.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdpTYUFZh9o

This one is about flaw in testing method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgIYXz28H-s

Peter Duesberg is specialized in retro-virus. His interviews better explain
the whole thing . Here is one with Joe Rogan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjCZ38vZ9RY

jyb

Mittir said:
Here is a very informative documentary on history of AIDS.

I liked to see some of these scientists interviewed and explaining how complicated this disease still is, but I thought the rest of the interviews and the overall discussion were awfully biased.

A

Adnada

jyb said:
Adnada said:

A simpler explanation would be that her work is so crap it is not even worthy of publication. Which I think is the more likely hypothesis, as I don't believe it cannot be transmitted by blood or sexual intercourse - which is her claim.
Could be. I am new to this topic, but my interest was piqued by her suggestion of oxidative metabolism playing a role in the disease.

Mittir

Hugh Johnson said:
AIDS is often considered a disease that disproportionaly affects male homosexuals. Can anyone tell me what the relationship would be from this perspective.

Dr Duesberg in Joe Rogan interview explained that use of poppers ( nitrite inhalant) , which used
to be widely used in homosexual party scene, is the reason for disproportionate AIDS diagnosis
among homosexuals. Other drug use also weaken immune system and results in AIDS diagnosis
based on common disease like pneumonia. According to current definition of AIDS one does not
have to have HIV antibodies to be diagnosed with AIDS. Here is an article on AIDS and Poppers.
http://www.duesberg.com/media/jlpoppers-3.html

haidut

Forum Supporter
jyb said:
Adnada said:

While Eleni's work may be crap, some of her statements have been verified by other scientists. For instance, in a 10-year study of heterosexual couples in California found the transmission rate to be extremely low.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9270414

In addition, so far I have not seen a solid explanation of why the AIDS of Africa is so much different from AIDS in the Western world including cases where African AIDS has been "cured" by antiparasitic therapy while Western AIDS does not respond to such treatments at all.

Daimyo

That's interesting. Best indicator of AIDS patients mortality is their blood selenium level. Selenium being an antioxidant will limit extend of PUFAs damages. No selenium, no protection form PUFAs...

From „What Really Causes AIDS” HAROLD D. FOSTER.
ANOMALY THREE: SELENIUM DEFICIENCY
A healthy person usually has between 800 and 1,200 CD4 T
lymphocytes (T-helper cells) in each cubic millimetre of their
blood. These lymphocytes play an essential role, signalling other
cells in the immune system to carry out their specific functions.
In the original conventional view of AIDS, it was believed that
HIV-1 directly killed CD4 T lymphocytes, so undermining the
immune system’s ability to function effectively. It is further
believed that when the CD4 T lymphocyte count falls below 200
per cubic millimetre, HIV-1 positive individuals become particularly vulnerable to the opportunistic infections such as tuberculosis, pneumocystis carinii pneumonia, and toxoplasmosis
and to the cancers that typify and are used to define AIDS.

When HIV-1 infection has been confirmed and AIDS is sus-pected, the number of CD4 T lymphocytes per cubic millimetre of a patient’s blood is regularly assessed as a guide to how well
the immune system is continuing to function. If the conventional model is correct and HIV is the sole cause of AIDS, it
would be logical to expect that this CD4 T lymphocyte count
would be the most accurate predictor of patient survival.14
It is
not. Plasma selenium levels are a far better indicator of the
probability of death from AIDS than are CD4 T lymphocyte
counts.
To illustrate, numerous studies have documented the presence of declining plasma selenium levels and an associated
decrease in glutathione peroxidase activity in individuals with
HIV/AIDS.15-17
More recently, Baum and co-workers18
have re-ported monitoring immunologic and nutritional factors at 6
month intervals, over 3.5 years, in 125 HIV-1-seropositive
drug-using men and women in Miami, Florida. This longitudinal study collected data on CD4 T lymphocyte count,
antiretroviral treatment, and plasma levels of vitamins A, E, B6, B12, and selenium and zinc. A total of 21 of the partici-pants died of HIV-related causes in the course of the study.
Only CD4 T lymphocyte counts over time (RR=0.69, p<0.04)
and selenium deficiency (RR=10.8, p<0.002) were significantly
associated with mortality, with selenium deficiency being the
superior indicator of it. Similarly, 24 HIV-infected children
were monitored for 5 years,19
during which time, 50 percent of
them died from HIV-related causes. In pediatric HIV-1 infection, as in adults, low plasma level of selenium was found to
be an independent predictor of mortality. Indeed, the lower
the serum selenium, the more rapidly death occurred, indicating that it was associated with faster disease progression.
In short, if one needs to predict whether or not a patient with
AIDS is likely to die, the best indicator of survival probability
is their plasma selenium level not their CD4 T lymphocyte
count. Why?”

„There seems to be more to the HIV-selenium relationship, how-ever, than just the depletion of this trace element by the virus.
Differences in environmental selenium levels appear to be influencing who is infected by HIV and where. This viewpoint is
now more accepted by the geochemists who study selenium.
Indeed, the recently published Selenium World Atlas used the
incidence of HIV-positive populations as a surrogate measure
of selenium deficiency in Africa, since knowledge of actual soil
levels of this trace element is quite scarce.

This argument by analogy was made on the advice of E.W. Taylor, who was the
first to recognize that the diffusion of HIV-1 in Africa was occurring most rapidly in selenium deficient regions”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals