Honey speeds up metabolism and recovery in bone fracture

Not only that honey is antiinflamatory and antimicrobial but it also speeds up bone fracture recovery.

" This animal study was performed on 24 wild-type Wistar rats. Following shaving, disinfection, and extraoral incision, a 2 × 2 mm defect was created at mandibular angle."
"After 4 weeks, the defects were filled in four samples of the experimental group, while all samples of the control group were in the mineralization stage (p = 0.002). Histomorphometric assessment revealed that the mean new bone formation in the experimental group was significantly more than the control group, both after 2 and 4 weeks (p = 0.041)."

"Thirty-two rats that underwent experimental femur fracture and then fixation were randomly allocated in one of four groups: two control groups (Control-3w and Control-6w) and two treatment groups (Propolis-3w and Propolis-6w)"
"Radiological healing in the propolis group after 15-day therapy was statistically better than in the control (p = 0.004) and normal honey (p = 0.006) groups. After 30-day therapy, healing in the propolis group (p = 0.005) and grayanotoxin-containing "mad honey" group (p = 0.007) were significantly better than in the control group."

This recovery can be related to the fact that honey increased antioxidants, thus metabolism.

" Seven men and three women (mean age, 31.2 years; range, 20-45 years) received a strictly controlled regular diet during a 2-week control period, followed by the regular diet supplemented with daily consumption of 1.2 g/kg body weight honey dissolved in 250 ml of water during a 2-week test period.
Results showed that honey increased antioxidant agents. It increased blood vitamin C concentration by 47%, beta-carotene by 3%, uric acid by 12%, and glutathione reductase by 7%. Honey increased serum iron by 20% and decreased plasma ferritin by 11%. It increased the percentage of monocytes by 50%, and increased lymphocyte and eosinophil percentages slightly. Honey reduced serum immunoglobulin E by 34% and increased serum copper by 33%. It decreased aspartate transaminase by 22% and alanine transaminase by 18%. Honey markedly reduced lactic acid dehydrogenase by 41%, decreased creatinine kinase by 33%, and reduced fasting blood sugar by 5%."

I believe honey can be one of the most potent antioxidants out there. Not only protects us against bacteria, but also reduces our blood sugar. I can see it as a perfect fit to use it as a the primary source of carbs if fresh fruit is not available.

Jam

Very interesting indeed!

Ismail

Not only that honey is antiinflamatory and antimicrobial but it also speeds up bone fracture recovery.

" This animal study was performed on 24 wild-type Wistar rats. Following shaving, disinfection, and extraoral incision, a 2 × 2 mm defect was created at mandibular angle."
"After 4 weeks, the defects were filled in four samples of the experimental group, while all samples of the control group were in the mineralization stage (p = 0.002). Histomorphometric assessment revealed that the mean new bone formation in the experimental group was significantly more than the control group, both after 2 and 4 weeks (p = 0.041)."

"Thirty-two rats that underwent experimental femur fracture and then fixation were randomly allocated in one of four groups: two control groups (Control-3w and Control-6w) and two treatment groups (Propolis-3w and Propolis-6w)"
"Radiological healing in the propolis group after 15-day therapy was statistically better than in the control (p = 0.004) and normal honey (p = 0.006) groups. After 30-day therapy, healing in the propolis group (p = 0.005) and grayanotoxin-containing "mad honey" group (p = 0.007) were significantly better than in the control group."

This recovery can be related to the fact that honey increased antioxidants, thus metabolism.

" Seven men and three women (mean age, 31.2 years; range, 20-45 years) received a strictly controlled regular diet during a 2-week control period, followed by the regular diet supplemented with daily consumption of 1.2 g/kg body weight honey dissolved in 250 ml of water during a 2-week test period.
Results showed that honey increased antioxidant agents. It increased blood vitamin C concentration by 47%, beta-carotene by 3%, uric acid by 12%, and glutathione reductase by 7%. Honey increased serum iron by 20% and decreased plasma ferritin by 11%. It increased the percentage of monocytes by 50%, and increased lymphocyte and eosinophil percentages slightly. Honey reduced serum immunoglobulin E by 34% and increased serum copper by 33%. It decreased aspartate transaminase by 22% and alanine transaminase by 18%. Honey markedly reduced lactic acid dehydrogenase by 41%, decreased creatinine kinase by 33%, and reduced fasting blood sugar by 5%."

I believe honey can be one of the most potent antioxidants out there. Not only protects us against bacteria, but also reduces our blood sugar. I can see it as a perfect fit to use it as a the primary source of carbs if fresh fruit is not available.
Wow! ? ?

Thank you for this ???

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This is true for me. Some days it is my only source of carbs and I do quite well with it.

Jam

Sold!

Untitled.png

DennisX

The study above showed that the honey protocol increase Uric Acid by 12%. This is not good and could lead to gout.

Jam

The study above showed that the honey protocol increase Uric Acid by 12%. This is not good and could lead to gout.

Increased uric acid is a perfectly physiological consequence of increasing fructose consumption, from any source.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Increased uric acid is a perfectly physiological consequence of increasing fructose consumption, from any source.
Mine has always been low so it’s a positive for me.

Jam

Mine has always been low so it’s a positive for me.
?

teds

Forum Supporter
So- just had to go down a rabbit hole to work out what ‘mad honey’ was- it looks to be toxic! Am I reading this wrong? I wonder if they did any other physiological measures on the ratties?

Last edited:

aliml

High levels of uric acid increase of intelligence, longevity, and productivity.

Uric acid is chemically somewhat similar chemical to caffeine, since it is a “purine.” Their structural similarity is thought to underlie some antioxidant effects. Based on this, uric acid may act as a natural stimulant.

Estrogen suppresses the production of the protein that eliminates urate in the kidney, while androgens stimulate it. This may explain lower serum urate levels in postmenopausal women as opposed to men.

Low levels of uric acid have been associated with the following disorders :

-- Multiple sclerosis
-- Alzheimer’s disease
-- Huntington’s disease
-- Parkinson’s disease

OP
Androsclerosis
This is true for me. Some days it is my only source of carbs and I do quite well with it.
Yes, I noticed that the effects are way more potent with expansive (not necessarly raw) honey. It's very stable, especially if combined with milk. It feels like a dopamine rush, almost the same as if you would drink coke when thisty.

Razvan

Only an intelligent, empirical individual that maybe surpasses Ray Peat in the way of thinking can post studies like this! Keep going with your blissful moments my brother!

K

Kayaker

What about potential glyphosate contamination?

How do you test food for toxins?

Fruit would be better since you can wash it, unlike honey.

OP
Androsclerosis
Only an intelligent, empirical individual that maybe surpasses Ray Peat in the way of thinking can post studies like this! Keep going with your blissful moments my brother!
To get to a state where you can think freely, you must first deplete your PUFA stores and increase the metabolic rate to a point where you can go outside the matrix without the need of lowering serotonin.

OP
Androsclerosis

I personally don't test food for toxins. Usually I go for the most expansive brand who has a very good reputation in my country. And the brand that I use has 2 certificates that guarantees high quality products so I understand why it's so expansive, around 7 euros for 300g, and the cheapest (fake honey) is 1.80 euros for 300 g.
The most important thing I believe is to see how you feel after eating it and the taste of it, that's why I prefer to try different brands everytime I see news coming in.
I noticed that the cheapest hardly gets crystallized, the taste is sweet but not much different to sugar (it feels like sugar + artificial flavours).
The expansive ones have a strong taste, gets my nose clear almost instantly, has specific smell and it doesnt make my stomach upset. Also, even if I go to local places and buy from people who grow their own bees, the taste is not the same,

Ben.

Fruit contains liquid, a fair amount at that. W/E pollution/toxin is in the air/water/soil will be in fruit aswell. There's almost no food not contaminated...
Now obviously one can argue about the amount ...

Honey has something magical about it, being antimicrobial but sweet the same time. I also read a study not long ago about its ability to improve/accelerate woundhealing. Fascinating stuff. Thanks Op for sharing.

Ismail

I personally don't test food for toxins. Usually I go for the most expansive brand who has a very good reputation in my country. And the brand that I use has 2 certificates that guarantees high quality products so I understand why it's so expansive, around 7 euros for 300g, and the cheapest (fake honey) is 1.80 euros for 300 g.
The most important thing I believe is to see how you feel after eating it and the taste of it, that's why I prefer to try different brands everytime I see news coming in.
I noticed that the cheapest hardly gets crystallized, the taste is sweet but not much different to sugar (it feels like sugar + artificial flavours).
The expansive ones have a strong taste, gets my nose clear almost instantly, has specific smell and it doesnt make my stomach upset. Also, even if I go to local places and buy from people who grow their own bees, the taste is not the same,
When you say expansive, do you mean expensive? ??

(not being sarcastic ?)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals