Serum Testosterone, DHEA-S And Androstenedione Levels In Acne

Basal serum levels of total testosterone, dehydroepiandosterone sulfate (DHEA, - S) and androstenedione (A4) were measured by radioimmunoassay in 100 patients of acne vulgaris, and in 100 age and sex matched acne free healthy subjects. In males with acne the mean serum testosterone levels were marginally and the DHEAS and A4A levels were significantly higher as compared to controls (p). Females with acne had significantly higher levels of testosterone (p<0.001), DHEA-S (p<0.001) and (p < 0.01) than controls. Our data suggest that increased adrenal androgen levels in plasma may be responsible for treatment resistant acne vulgarism

Serum testosterone, DHEA-S and androstenedione levels in acne Hatwal A, Singh S K, Agarwal J K, Singh G, Bajpai H S, Gupta S S - Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol

acnebloodpanels.jpg

baccheion

I thought acne was related to estrogen in males and DHT in women? Oxidation followed by inflammation or just inflammation. DHT increases sebum production, and therefore, the likelihood of clogged pores.

OP
Nicolas Noyola
I thought acne was related to estrogen in males and DHT in women? Oxidation followed by inflammation or just inflammation. DHT increases sebum production, and therefore, the likelihood of clogged pores.
I still think acne is related to estrogen as well, but perhaps it's more complex than that having high androgens is a guarantor of perfect skin. Or perhaps the type of androgen itself matters. I recall people around here saying that the sometimes DHT is protective, which is why it appears high in people with acne; it's protection against estrogen. I will say that anecdotally, the only times I've ever had perfect skin were twofold; when I used a topical antibiotic, and recently, when I improved my gut motility drastically AND used an aromatase inhibitor to lower estrogen. the latter situation convinced me completely that estrogen is culpable at least in part. bodybuilders use AIs to clear up acne as well

baccheion

I still think acne is related to estrogen as well, but perhaps it's more complex than that simply high estrogen. I recall people around here saying that the sometimes DHT is protective, which is why it appears high in people with acne; it's protection against estrogen. I will say that anecdotally, the only times I've ever had perfect skin were twofold; when I used a topical antibiotic, and recently, when I improved my gut motility drastically AND used an aromatase inhibitor to lower estrogen. the latter situation convinced me completely that estrogen is culpable at least in part.
Do you have any nutrient deficiencies? Slow transit implies something like insufficient magnesium and/or vitamin D. Vitamin K2 MK-4 also improves skin. And niacin, riboflavin, vitamin C, etc. B vitamins generally increase/normalize estrogen clearance.

Experiencing positives from an antibiotic implies pore clogging (maybe due to excess dead skin). Bacteria in clogged pores feed on sebum and dead skin, then release waste which causes an inflammatory response.

OP
Nicolas Noyola
Do you have any nutrient deficiencies? Slow transit implies something like insufficient magnesium and/or vitamin D. Vitamin K2 MK-4 also improves skin. And niacin, riboflavin, vitamin C, etc. B vitamins generally increase/normalize estrogen clearance.

Experiencing positives from an antibiotic implies pore clogging (maybe due to excess dead skin). Bacteria in clogged pores feed on sebum and dead skin, then release waste which causes an inflammatory response.
I believe it was due to magnesium insufficiency.