Advice on protocol for starting Prigest E for male(cycling and tapering off) Also recent blood tests included

Irish7777

Hi all,

I plan to start taking low dose Progest E

I have PFS
18 months ago I crashed on Tribulus.
Initially got high cortisol & high estrogen sides from Tribulus
Then 10 weeks later after crash, I started to lose muscle mass, started to notice my facial hair slow down quite abit, my shin bone, forearm and finger bones thin, my chest nipple puffiness from my gyno no longer improves when taking vitamin e as it used to and I have aged alot quicker in the last eighteen months.

Last week my Endo told me my progesterone blood level was undetectable in my recent blood tests and I believe that is the reason for my above symptoms.

My 24 hour Saliva test from last year showed low cortisol levels morning, noon and early evening.

I plan to take dose 3mg Projest E and hope this will improve above symptoms and maybe give my adrenals rest to produce more cortisol to fight some food sensitivities I have recently developed.

Do I need to cycle Progest and is it difficult to taper off eventually?

Some of my other recent results below

URINE FREE CORTISOL 170 range (12-486)
Testosterone
24.6​
nmol/L(8.6 to 29.0)Auth(--*)
Sex Hormone Binding Globulin
40.9​
nmol/L(16.5 to 55.9)Auth(-*-)
DHEA Sulphate
8.5​
umol/L(2.4 to 11.6)Auth(-*-)
Oestradiol
100​
pmol/L(50 to 159)Auth(-*-)
Luteinising Hormone
7.1​
IU/L(1.7 to 8.6)Auth(--*)
Follicle Stimulating Hormone
16.8 #​
IU/L(1.5 to 12.4)Auth(---)*
Total Prolactin
206​
mIU/L(86 to 324)

gaze

ray said males dont have to cycle it, its women who do cause it interferes with their menstrual cycle. it should in theory just have a relaxing effect and it should not be difficult to take on and off. however, progesterone should almost never be used as a replacement therapy rather one should try and figure out whats causing the progesterone deficiency. what are your vit D, thyroid, PTH, levels?

OP
I

Irish7777

ray said males dont have to cycle it, its women who do cause it interferes with their menstrual cycle. it should in theory just have a relaxing effect and it should not be difficult to take on and off. however, progesterone should almost never be used as a replacement therapy rather one should try and figure out whats causing the progesterone deficiency. what are your vit D, thyroid, PTH, levels?
All my recent Thyroid in order
My Vitiman D 70 range (30-125)

Don't know PTH

I think Tribulus caused me an adrenal crash, initially high cortisol to then insufficient and it is causing my adrenals to be overburdened and not produce enough progesterone

I am thinking to I treat the adrenals with hydrocortisone or treat low progesterone instead which might give my adrenals a break.

gaze

All my recent Thyroid in order
My Vitiman D 70 range (30-125)

Don't know PTH

I think Tribulus caused me an adrenal crash, initially high cortisol to then insufficient and it is causing my adrenals to be overburdened and not produce enough progesterone

I am thinking to I treat the adrenals with hydrocortisone or treat low progesterone instead which might give my adrenals a break.
i wouldnt take hydrocortisone personally. i think progest-e is good for that. also pregnenolone although thats more hit or miss for many people

Peatress

After the age of 35 or 40, many men experience a decline in their resistance to stress, corresponding to the decline in protective substances such as DHEA and progesterone. Often a small amount of progesterone, 5 or 6 mg (for example, a drop of Progest-E the size of an unpopped kernel of popcorn) can make a difference, sometimes lasting for a few days or more. Paying close attention, the effects are usually noticeable within about half an hour. At a certain level, progesterone can antagonize the effects of testosterone; in younger men, 2 or 3 drops can have that effect. That effect passes within a day of stopping the progesterone. If a younger man uses progesterone topically, for example for sunburn, a little olive oil should be applied to the skin first to make it spread easily; if it’s used on a large area, the same anti- testosterone effect is likely to be noticed. Ray Peat

Last edited:
OP
I

Irish7777

i wouldnt take hydrocortisone personally. i think progest-e is good for that. also pregnenolone although thats more hit or miss for many people

I really don't want to take HC and because I am 45 years of age perhaps Progest E would be better to initially try.

OP
I

Irish7777

After the age of 35 or 40, many men experience a decline in their resistance to stress, corresponding to the decline in protective substances such as DHEA and progesterone. Often a small amount of progesterone, 5 or 6 mg (for example, a drop of Progest-E the size of an unpopped kernel of popcorn) can make a difference, sometimes lasting for a few days or more. Paying close attention, the effects are usually noticeable within about half an hour. At a certain level, progesterone can antagonize the effects of testosterone; in younger men, 2 or 3 drops can have that effect. That effect passes within a day of stopping the progesterone. If a younger man uses progesterone topically, for example for sunburn, a little olive oil should be applied to the skin first to make it spread easily; if it’s used on a large area, the same anti- testosterone effect is likely to be noticed. Ray Peat
Hi

Do you know if you add progest E to water to take?

For example one drop is 3mg but if I wanted to do a dose of 1mg could I add it to water and then obviously just consume a third of it

Peatress

Hi

Do you know if you add progest E to water to take?

For example one drop is 3mg but if I wanted to do a dose of 1mg could I add it to water and then obviously just consume a third of it
It's oil based so it won't dissolve very well in water. Perhaps try I drop and see how you get on?

Last edited:
OP
I

Irish7777

tasfarelel

Of course, this I would do anyway. I have used up to 30mg progesterone from Progest E daily and I may have subjectively improved my sense of wellbeing.

However, I find it expensive, the progesterone powder for the supplier linked to this forum is cheaper, but it may not absorb well. I tried it mixed with pure Vit E 75k IU oil.

Else, pregnenolone will also increase progesterone. But it will influence a lot more stuff than progesterone, so you have to see how you feel on it.

OP
I

Irish7777

Would anyone know if my progesterone levels are undetectable in my recent tests would it be safe to assume my pregnenolone would also be undetectable or very low?

Risingfire

I'd take high dose pregnenolone. It will increase allopregnenolone(good for PFS) and progesterone.

OP
I

Irish7777

I'd take high dose pregnenolone. It will increase allopregnenolone(good for PFS) and progesterone.

Was thinking that but could pregnenolone supplement cause my cortisol to lower?

My Saliva test shows I have low output and I have some food allergies developed from what I think is insufficient cortisol throughout the day, so don't want to take anything that could lower cortisol

Risingfire

Was thinking that but could pregnenolone supplement cause my cortisol to lower?

My Saliva test shows I have low output and I have some food allergies developed from what I think is insufficient cortisol throughout the day, so don't want to take anything that could lower cortisol
Ray has said pregnenolone with balance cortisol to optimal levels

OP
I

Irish7777

Ray has said pregnenolone with balance cortisol to optimal levels
Oh great, thanks

Do you know if there is a certain dosage you have to take of pregnenolone in order for it to start converting to progesterone?
Ideally I would like to start at the lowest level possible as my body is very sensitive to supplements.

And one other thing if I could pick your brain, as my DHEA S and estrogen and testosterone measures all look good would that mean there is a much lesser risk pregnenolone could convert into them instead?

Risingfire

Oh great, thanks

Do you know if there is a certain dosage you have to take of pregnenolone in order for it to start converting to progesterone?
Ideally I would like to start at the lowest level possible as my body is very sensitive to supplements.

And one other thing if I could pick your brain, as my DHEA S and estrogen and testosterone measures all look good would that mean there is a much lesser risk pregnenolone could convert into them instead?
I believe it's around 100 mgs orally before it converts to progesterone but other people seem to think at lower doses.

Pregnenolone doesn't convert to dhea, estrogen or test. Ray has mentioned this and @Hans posted something recently backing up Ray.

I have two suggestions. Take prep early in the day and make sure the preg is high purity.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals