Acceptable fasting morning cortisol level by our standards

Advocate2021

I recently had fasting bloodwork done at 8:30 a.m. 3 weeks ago and it came back pretty stellar actually- the best ive ever had in my life i think- hormones and thyroid looked great.. will post when all back.

however, i am wondering about the cortisol number even though it came back at the high end of the "acceptable range" of 6.2ug/dl - 19.4 ug/dl. It was 18.6. Granted it was fasting and i felt pretty low blood sugar at the time of the draw so wondering if that in of itself would elevate it as had to wake up, get ready, drive and not eat anything- so had been fasting for about 10 hours which is a long time for me to go without food. Thoughts?

Momma

I recently had fasting bloodwork done at 8:30 a.m. 3 weeks ago and it came back pretty stellar actually- the best ive ever had in my life i think- hormones and thyroid looked great.. will post when all back.

however, i am wondering about the cortisol number even though it came back at the high end of the "acceptable range" of 6.2ug/dl - 19.4 ug/dl. It was 18.6. Granted it was fasting and i felt pretty low blood sugar at the time of the draw so wondering if that in of itself would elevate it as had to wake up, get ready, drive and not eat anything- so had been fasting for about 10 hours which is a long time for me to go without food. Thoughts?
Yes. Those reasons would elevate cortisol.
But remember, blood cortisol is not generally accurate. That’s why people do the spit or salvia assay.

David PS

In addtion, basal cortisol appears to rise with age. You never know what ages you are being compared to.

exile

Yes. Those reasons would elevate cortisol.
But remember, blood cortisol is not generally accurate. That’s why people do the spit or salvia assay.

Ray didn’t recommend saliva tests

“I don't think saliva hormone tests are reliable. They are a convenient way to see whether the changes of cortisol during the day follow the normal pattern, but for judging its adequacy in an absolute sense I wouldn't pay any attention to them, since the saliva is subject to many influences that don't have much to do with the blood and other fluids. The hormones in the urine are mostly glucuronidated or sulfated, and so represent liver metabolism more than hormonal effects. Total cortisol is good.”

“Cortisol is a little more water soluble than progesterone, and a diurnal cycle can be seen in the saliva, but the absolute amounts aren't as meaningful as in the serum.”

Momma

Ray didn’t recommend saliva tests

“I don't think saliva hormone tests are reliable. They are a convenient way to see whether the changes of cortisol during the day follow the normal pattern, but for judging its adequacy in an absolute sense I wouldn't pay any attention to them, since the saliva is subject to many influences that don't have much to do with the blood and other fluids. The hormones in the urine are mostly glucuronidated or sulfated, and so represent liver metabolism more than hormonal effects. Total cortisol is good.”

“Cortisol is a little more water soluble than progesterone, and a diurnal cycle can be seen in the saliva, but the absolute amounts aren't as meaningful as in the serum.”
Great clarification. Just basic patterns at best from saliva. Thank you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals