Acai - Warning For Tourists

Amazoniac

From the Chat Center:

Westside PUFAs posted a video on how to pronounce Pwned. Haha. Related to it they were teaching how to pronounce Acai, and it's not like that, at least originally..
Here's how we usually pronounce:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyD_rEq20QI

And by the way, if you ever visit Brazil, there are stores all over the country selling acai in a bowl. However, all of them are suspicious and unreliable.
They mix everything that they can to give it texture, flavour, and you know the story.. All in an artificial/synthetic way.
Pure acai tastes like gritty sand/mud or whathever. This is why the guy in that video puts banana for texture and honey for taste. Some add cereal to get the crunchy texture by the end.
You can add a few drops of pboy in that recipe. Someone asked me if it has to be organic and certified by USDA. It's desirable to be organic, but conventional will do the job as long as it's from the US; try to import from Texas, those are the best ones. Just be careful with the amount that you add because it's extremely aphrodisiac.

I never found a single store that sells acai in the way that it's being prepared in that video. Moral of the story: bring your Nutribullet or immersion blender, buy pure frozen acai bars at any market and prepare it yourself..

It's a fatty fruit, and buying it dry, in powdered form probably damages a lot of its fats.
Total Lipids in 100g: 17g
60% are MUFA
13% are PUFA: 2.2g for every 100g
Usually people consume them in bowls of 300g, 500g or 750g (aka beast, bjj style)
But, like I said, those bought from stores contain less acai and more additives. They sometimes add a bit PUFAs to give it a smooth texture even when frozen.
Don't ever buy from decayed places, in the most extreme case they found toiled paper dissolved and mixed to add consistency. Seriously.
But most stores are reliable in a sense that the acai in bowls that they sell aren't much different from the industrialized stuff you find all over the world..

Edit: some manufacturers add guarana syrup because it's cute to write on the package that it contains it, sounds wild and natural. All in all, it's just syrup and not much different from molasses; they look alike in case you're wondering..

XPlus

I once bought some in an order from Mercola before getting into Peat.
Have not felt any benefit from taking it.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac
Did you use acai powder (freeze dry process)
Seems to be high in interesting nutrients .. vitamin E for example
It has been a while since I learn'd more about it, but the process involves scalding (and it won't concentrate vitamin E for no reason) for loosening or disinfection, followed by separation. The usable part is the exterior of the fruit (that's blended), the majority is discarded.

upload_2019-11-20_21-18-35.png

Source: the internet.

upload_2019-11-20_21-18-41.png

Here's a homemade preparation, at about 2:00 the person separates it (no need to know spanish):

For reasons that I can't remember, the final product ends up with a significant amount of fat (may be inherent to the outer layers but also introduced during industrial processing), however the value that I just checked is not as high as mentioned above, I don't know where those numbers are from, it's 4 g of fat/100 g of frozen pulp, and of course increasing on dehydration.

Store-bought acai that's frozen is usually messed up, which is why if a tourist wishes to try the real thing, these won't be reliable. I tried the freeze-dried once but it was strange, likely for not knowing how to prepare it right in this form.

It has plenty of manganese based on the same analysis (6 mg/100 g of frozen pulp), but I haven't compared with other sources. It's probably a beneficial fruit even if it's low in essential nutrients.

The place adding toilet paper to thicken it was memorable. :handok:

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals