A ubiquitous dishwasher rinse agent may cause many serious diseases

Jessie

Thanks for this @haidut. Just checked and indeed, our rinse-aid is loaded with ethoxylated surfactants

@Jessie Not the same thing, but still might be relevant
Thanks, definitely relevant considering all ethoxydiglycol appears to be is ethoxylated ethanol. I will probably only use small amounts of this as a co-solvent, provided it does a good job. If it's not good I'll just trash it, lol.

brightside

Thanks, definitely relevant considering all ethoxydiglycol appears to be is ethoxylated ethanol. I will probably only use small amounts of this as a co-solvent, provided it does a good job. If it's not good I'll just trash it, lol.
Yeah, might have to do that, lol

Law

The laundry detergent and dishwasher pods by Molly's Suds lack alcohol ethoxylates. Available on Amazon.

Overton

The laundry detergent and dishwasher pods by Molly's Suds lack alcohol ethoxylates. Available on Amazon.
Thanks @Law ! Im also thinking of trying Aspen Clean but reviews question the effectiveness. Has Mollys worked well?

Aspen Clean did have a helpful Section on the other chemical names for alcohol ethoxylates you might see on labels Non-Toxic Dishwasher Detergent Guide | AspenClean
We splash an ounce of vinegar in the bottom of dishwasher, before every washing. The vinegar works well as a rinse aid.
Good idea @Jkbp . Do you use the vinegar only or normal detergent then vinegar instead of rinse aid? I reread the article and the concern was more on rinse aid due to no final rinse after that, but detergents do seem to contain ethoxylated alcohols too.

Law

@Overton You’re welcome. I’ve only just started using Molly’s but can say both the laundry detergent and dishwasher pods seem to be working well.

I’ve used other “natural” laundry detergent pods that didn’t dissolve unless I ran the laundry machine on warm or hot. Molly’s dissolve even on the cool setting. So that’s a plus.

I have no experience with Aspen Clean, so I can’t speak to that brand unfortunately. But given the poor reviews you mentioned, perhaps you could give Molly’s a shot.

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
Thanks @Law ! Im also thinking of trying Aspen Clean but reviews question the effectiveness. Has Mollys worked well?

Aspen Clean did have a helpful Section on the other chemical names for alcohol ethoxylates you might see on labels Non-Toxic Dishwasher Detergent Guide | AspenClean

Good idea @Jkbp . Do you use the vinegar only or normal detergent then vinegar instead of rinse aid? I reread the article and the concern was more on rinse aid due to no final rinse after that, but detergents do seem to contain ethoxylated alcohols too.
I use regular dishwasher soap plus a splash of vinegar in place of the rinse aid. The dishes come out sparkly clean with zero spots every time.

Lilac

I have not used rinse agent for years. I intuited that it was nothing but chemicals you don't need. The dishes came out fine in two different states with different water. I am trying to use even less automatic detergent than previously, and I never used the indicated amount. Again, the dishes look perfectly clean filling the cup maybe 40 percent.

A suggestion for the laundry detergent that won't dissolve: Could you dissolve it with boiling water first, then throw it in the washing machine?

ddjd

Any German speakers know if these dishwasher tab ingredients are bad?
IMG_20230402_150558.jpg

A-Tim

For what it's worth, I like MommyPotamus's recommendations much of the time. I haven't used her dishwasher detergent recipe, but I'll post below for those interested. She has a Weston Price'ish background/worldview, but she also brings a little bit of her own research and creative thinking to the table.

Overton

I use regular dishwasher soap plus a splash of vinegar in place of the rinse aid. The dishes come out sparkly clean with zero spots every time.
Thank you! Currently running it with a new brand of pod i found called Ecoacy. Will see if it comes out well and try this vinegar tip if needed.

Mauritio

AspiringSage

Any German speakers know if these dishwasher tab ingredients are bad?View attachment 48998

The translation feature built into iOS translates that into English as:

“Causes severe

Eye irritation. If medical advice is required, have packaging or identification label ready. Keep out of the reach of children. Wash hands thoroughly after use.

Respect

IN CASE OF CONTACT WITH THE

EYES: Rinse gently with water for a few minutes. Remove any existing contact lenses if possible. Continue rinsing. If eye irritation persists: Get medical advice/attention. Contains SUBTILISIN. May cause allergic reactions.”

Wikipedia - Subtilisin

Sounds like it’s a protease enzyme often manufactured in yeast.

Last edited:

:M :B.

I've been messing around trying to make a detergent. Using just washing soda leaves a residue for me...very alkaline.

So I tried this today and it seemed to work:
Vinegar and a small amount of citric acid tossed into the bottom of the dishwasher.
A little Washing Soda and non poison fatty acid dish soap into the detergent compartment.
Vinegar for inside the rinse aid compartment.

I figure any citric acid will get washed away since it is just tossed inside the dishwasher as a prewash.

I like to run the hotwater at the sink before starting the dishwasher since my hot water tank is far away. Then i'll be starting hot.
I've never found a DIY recipe that didn't leave a residue. If anyone has a home made concoction that is legit please share. they usually all suck and the one I came up with might suck too. At least it's better than all alkaline style...I think.

There's probably something bad about using a strong acid, stripping microscopic metal off stuff and spraying it around everywhere. who knows, everything sucks except hand washing and I suck too much to handwash.

lvysaur

When I was in college I never used soap on my dishes, I'd just rinse them under hot water right after eating and then use them again later, and maybe handwash with soap once a week or so
I also never washed my hands after touching raw meat

nothing happened

Mauritio

Ditto on the thank you and awaiting their reply.
No reply.
But the article mentions that this issue applies to industrial dishwashers mostly that don't rinse again at the end. So if you have a normal one you should be good. You can clean the dishes with water before using them ,just to be on the safe side.

sunny

No reply.
But the article mentions that this issue applies to industrial dishwashers mostly that don't rinse again at the end. So if you have a normal one you should be good. You can clean the dishes with water before using them ,just to be on the safe side.
Yes, the article also seems to mention the rinse aide part being the problem.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals