Serotonin (5-HT) can cause gastro-intestinal (GI) polyps, precursors to GI cancers

haidut

Forum Supporter
The bad news for the "happy hormone" keep streaming into the public consciousness, despite the gargantuan effort to censor such information and double-down on serotonin (just like estrogen) as the best thing our bodies can get. The study below discovered that the development of polyps anywhere in the GI tract is driven by 5-HT and, as most of my readers know, GI polyps are a precursor condition to the dreaded intestinal (mostly colon) and gastric (GI) cancers. The rates for those cancers have not only been skyrocketing over the last 10-15 years but are know diagnosed mostly in young people, despite being considered "old people cancers" since their discoveries. The good news is that the study also found that inhibiting 5-HT synthesis can prevent such polyps from developing or potentially even treat already established ones. Serotonin receptor antagonists were also found by other studies (see study below with PMID 22609381) to have a similarly inhibitory effect on polyps. Yay!

Now, I showed this study to a few doctors I correspond with and their immediate reaction was that this finding about 5-HT's causative role in polyps (and potentially GI cancer) formation was only in regards to a specific condition known as Cronkhite-Canada syndrome. However, as my readers know well by now, the word "syndrome" is simply a medical euphemism for either fraud or incompetence, and this seems to be the case for this specific "syndrome" as well. Namely, it has no specific diagnostic test(s) and its symptoms almost perfectly overlap with symptoms seen in obesity, diabetes, and aging in general - nail atrophy and skin pigmentation - with aging, obesity and diabetes being known risk factors for polyps and GI cancers. Hhmm, I wonder (not!) if 5-HT may also be capable of causing obesity, diabetes and aging...:):

Cronkhite–Canada syndrome - Wikipedia

"..There is no specific test to diagnose Cronkhite–Canada syndrome. Diagnosis is based on symptoms and features of the disease.[8]"

In other words, the GI polyps seen in people with this "syndrome" are the exact same kind as the ones diagnosed through routine colonoscopies/endoscopies and aggressively excised with the hope of preventing them from turning into cancer.

"...Polyps are found throughout the GI tract (most frequently in the stomach and large intestine, followed by the small intestine) though typically avoid the esophagus.[6] A biopsy will reveal them to be hamartomas; the possibility that they progress to cancer is generally considered to be low,[7] although it has been reported multiple times in the past."

So, the evidence from this study and the lack of any substantive difference between this "mysterious" syndrome and the polyps found in the general population during screenings, seems to me to suggest that 5-HT can once again be labelled as a villain in yet another devastating epidemic - the GI cancers, which are now targeting the youngest segment of adults (and even teens). The fact that SSRI drug prescription rates have also been skyrocketing in the same time period of skyrocketing GI cancer rates is a good corroboration of the pathological role 5-HT has in those cancers. And if this is not enough to convince a person of just how dangerous 5-HT is, here is another study demonstrating the pathological effects of serotonin, and specifically SSRI drugs on GI health and especially on polyp development.

Neuronal serotonin regulates growth of the intestinal mucosa in mice - PubMed

You see, the "funny" part in this story is that 5-HT used to be considered a very dangerous endogenous amine up until the SSRI drugs hit the market. The role of 5-HT in GI cancers was well-known due to studies of people with the so-called carcinoid tumors, which have the uncanny ability to generate secondary, non-endocrine tumors elsewhere in the GI tract, and the patient would usually die not from the primary of secondary tumors but from the massive disseminated fibrosis the chronically elevated 5-HT levels would cause in such patients. So, the fact that medicine knew for a fact that 5-HT was very, very dangerous and now only was this knowledge "lost" but turned onto its head, is hard for me to chalk off to stupidity. I think it is fair to say that SSRI drugs would probably go down in history as one of the most evil and globally-devastating medical intervention ever designed.

JCI - Human intestinal organoids from Cronkhite-Canada syndrome patients reveal link between serotonin and proliferation

"...More than 90% of serotonin in the body is produced by the enteroendocrine cells in the intestinal tract. Although serotonin is best known for its role as a neurotransmitter in the central nervous system, it also affects a variety of functions in other organs, including some tasks of the intestinal epithelium. “Supporting the novel role of serotonin in intestinal epithelial proliferation, we found that treating non-Cronkhite-Canada syndrome organoids with serotonin increased their proliferation and inhibiting serotonin production in the Cronkhite-Canada syndrome organoids decreased proliferation, suggesting a link between local serotonin production and control of epithelial intestinal cell proliferation,” said Blutt, associate professor of molecular virology and microbiology at Baylor and corresponding author of the work....The findings suggest the potential benefit of serotonin inhibitors to treat this condition.”"

"...5HT was inhibited using L-DOPA, or 3,4-Dihydroxy-L-phenylalanine (Sigma-Aldrich). L-DOPA inhibits 5HT synthesis by blocking the function of TPH1, the critical enzyme for conversion of tryptophan to 5HT. L-DOPA was diluted to a concentration of 600 ng in 1 M Tris HCl (78) and was added to the matrigel at plating and the media every day for 3 days. Cells were pulsed with EdU 24 hours before organoid harvest."

GI polyps are a precursor condition to the dreaded intestinal (mostly colon) and gastric (GI) cancers. The rates for those cancers have not only been skyrocketing over the last 10-15 years but are know diagnosed mostly in young people, despite being considered "old people cancers" since their discoveries.
I did not know this.

Now, I showed this study to a few doctors I correspond with and their immediate reaction was that this finding about 5-HT's causative role in polyps (and potentially GI cancer) formation was only in regards to a specific condition known as Cronkhite-Canada syndrome. However, as my readers know well by now, the word "syndrome" is simply a medical euphemism for either fraud or incompetence, and this seems to be the case for this specific "syndrome" as well. Namely, it has no specific diagnostic test(s) and its symptoms almost perfectly overlap with symptoms seen in obesity, diabetes, and aging in general - nail atrophy and skin pigmentation - with aging, obesity and diabetes being known risk factors for polyps and GI cancers. Hhmm, I wonder (not!) if 5-HT may also be capable of causing obesity, diabetes and aging...:):
“The basic difference between the two terms relates to the symptoms that they produce. A disease can be defined as a health condition that has a clearly defined reason behind it. A syndrome (from the Greek word meaning 'run together') however, may produce a number of symptoms without an identifiable cause.”

“Most syndromes named after the physician who first noticed them in people. So that, for instance, Down syndrome is a condition that was first noticed by a Dr. Down. Marfan syndrome is a condition that was first noticed by a Dr. Marfan. There are a whole list of these, or really hundreds and hundreds of syndromes have been described mostly over the last 150 years or so in medicine, and often named after the individual who first noted that these traits tended to run together.”

Rush Bio

Forum Supporter
The bad news for the "happy hormone" keep streaming into the public consciousness, despite the gargantuan effort to censor such information and double-down on serotonin (just like estrogen) as the best thing our bodies can get. The study below discovered that the development of polyps anywhere in the GI tract is driven by 5-HT and, as most of my readers know, GI polyps are a precursor condition to the dreaded intestinal (mostly colon) and gastric (GI) cancers. The rates for those cancers have not only been skyrocketing over the last 10-15 years but are know diagnosed mostly in young people, despite being considered "old people cancers" since their discoveries. The good news is that the study also found that inhibiting 5-HT synthesis can prevent such polyps from developing or potentially even treat already established ones. Serotonin receptor antagonists were also found by other studies (see study below with PMID 22609381) to have a similarly inhibitory effect on polyps. Yay!

"..There is no specific test to diagnose Cronkhite–Canada syndrome. Diagnosis is based on symptoms and features of the disease.[8]"

In other words, the GI polyps seen in people with this "syndrome" are the exact same kind as the ones diagnosed through routine colonoscopies/endoscopies and aggressively excised with the hope of preventing them from turning into cancer.

"...Polyps are found throughout the GI tract (most frequently in the stomach and large intestine, followed by the small intestine) though typically avoid the esophagus.[6] A biopsy will reveal them to be hamartomas; the possibility that they progress to cancer is generally considered to be low,[7] although it has been reported multiple times in the past."

So, the evidence from this study and the lack of any substantive difference between this "mysterious" syndrome and the polyps found in the general population during screenings, seems to me to suggest that 5-HT can once again be labelled as a villain in yet another devastating epidemic - the GI cancers, which are now targeting the youngest segment of adults (and even teens). The fact that SSRI drug prescription rates have also been skyrocketing in the same time period of skyrocketing GI cancer rates is a good corroboration of the pathological role 5-HT has in those cancers. And if this is not enough to convince a person of just how dangerous 5-HT is, here is another study demonstrating the pathological effects of serotonin, and specifically SSRI drugs on GI health and especially on polyp development.

You see, the "funny" part in this story is that 5-HT used to be considered a very dangerous endogenous amine up until the SSRI drugs hit the market. The role of 5-HT in GI cancers was well-known due to studies of people with the so-called carcinoid tumors, which have the uncanny ability to generate secondary, non-endocrine tumors elsewhere in the GI tract, and the patient would usually die not from the primary of secondary tumors but from the massive disseminated fibrosis the chronically elevated 5-HT levels would cause in such patients. So, the fact that medicine knew for a fact that 5-HT was very, very dangerous and now only was this knowledge "lost" but turned onto its head, is hard for me to chalk off to stupidity. I think it is fair to say that SSRI drugs would probably go down in history as one of the most evil and globally-devastating medical intervention ever designed.

JCI - Human intestinal organoids from Cronkhite-Canada syndrome patients reveal link between serotonin and proliferation

"...More than 90% of serotonin in the body is produced by the enteroendocrine cells in the intestinal tract. Although serotonin is best known for its role as a neurotransmitter in the central nervous system, it also affects a variety of functions in other organs, including some tasks of the intestinal epithelium. “Supporting the novel role of serotonin in intestinal epithelial proliferation, we found that treating non-Cronkhite-Canada syndrome organoids with serotonin increased their proliferation and inhibiting serotonin production in the Cronkhite-Canada syndrome organoids decreased proliferation, suggesting a link between local serotonin production and control of epithelial intestinal cell proliferation,” said Blutt, associate professor of molecular virology and microbiology at Baylor and corresponding author of the work....The findings suggest the potential benefit of serotonin inhibitors to treat this condition.”"

"...5HT was inhibited using L-DOPA, or 3,4-Dihydroxy-L-phenylalanine (Sigma-Aldrich). L-DOPA inhibits 5HT synthesis by blocking the function of TPH1, the critical enzyme for conversion of tryptophan to 5HT. L-DOPA was diluted to a concentration of 600 ng in 1 M Tris HCl (78) and was added to the matrigel at plating and the media every day for 3 days. Cells were pulsed with EdU 24 hours before organoid harvest."
Do you think this would also apply to polyps in other parts of the body, specifically kidney and liver cysts or nasal polyps? I have read there is an association between 5-HT and nasal polyps. Wondering if decreasing serotonin would also help to decrease polyps throughout the body?

TucsonJJ

I have been enjoying Chlorpheniramine, low dose, 2mg during the day, 2-4mg more at night an hour before bed. Seems to be of strong benefit for anxiety, depression and really helps me sleep. No side effects noticed, and I am very sensitive... I am considering upping the dose...
I am confused though... is Chlorpheniramine a serotonin antagonist? OR neutral? I know @haidut is strongly against serotonin agonists... is it a strong Anticholinergic and is this a problem?? Does it have similar benefits (and downsides) as Benadryl?
Would, perhaps, Clemastine be better and provide equal or more benefits?

Mauritio

I have been enjoying Chlorpheniramine, low dose, 2mg during the day, 2-4mg more at night an hour before bed. Seems to be of strong benefit for anxiety, depression and really helps me sleep. No side effects noticed, and I am very sensitive... I am considering upping the dose...
I am confused though... is Chlorpheniramine a serotonin antagonist? OR neutral? I know @haidut is strongly against serotonin agonists... is it a strong Anticholinergic and is this a problem?? Does it have similar benefits (and downsides) as Benadryl?
Would, perhaps, Clemastine be better and provide equal or more benefits?
From what i ve read briefly, it seems okay. It's a ssri but has low affinity for sert, so maybe in the dosages youre taking it does not increase serotonon, but only lowers histamine and is anticholinergic.

TucsonJJ

From what i ve read briefly, it seems okay. It's a ssri but has low affinity for sert, so maybe in the dosages youre taking it does not increase serotonon, but only lowers histamine and is anticholinergic.
Thanks, I think you are right.
I'm new to this Forum, probably will leave soon...
But I wonder about SSRI drugs, which @haidut really dislikes... is it not odd that on Drugs.com... so many people have great results from taking them... often for many years... how could this be is serotonin is such a poisonous substance? Yes, many have problems as well...
BTW: I am considering Nefazodone... I think it has very little serotonin activity, and the reviews are great... they did take it off the market, due to a couple of liver-damage events... but I read those were almost all in heavy drinkers... have not heard of any since it came back on market...
Bonus for me: What do you think about Cyproheptadine? ;-)

Mauritio

Thanks, I think you are right.
I'm new to this Forum, probably will leave soon...
But I wonder about SSRI drugs, which @haidut really dislikes... is it not odd that on Drugs.com... so many people have great results from taking them... often for many years... how could this be is serotonin is such a poisonous substance? Yes, many have problems as well...
BTW: I am considering Nefazodone... I think it has very little serotonin activity, and the reviews are great... they did take it off the market, due to a couple of liver-damage events... but I read those were almost all in heavy drinkers... have not heard of any since it came back on market...
Bonus for me: What do you think about Cyproheptadine? ;-)
It is because no drug ever has just one mechanism of action. Prozac for example is an antagonist on the 5Ht2c receptor ,not very serotonergic eh? On top of that it also increases allopregnanolone, which is a potent anti-depressant. It helps to judge every molecule uniquely, because every molecule has unique effects. Also if there is too much serotonin, the body downregulates receptor sensitivity, which can cause the opposite effects. But even with all that beeing said there are some cases that are probably not sufficiently explained by the above and I dont know what exactly is going on there.

I think cypro is very safe ,especially in low doses. Some people have side effects like increased appetite and weight gain though. It is also a an antagonist at dopamine D2 ,albeit with very little affinity, but some people seem to notice that. But overall a great anti-stress substance. Helps me to fall asleep when I cant.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals