82 year old carnivore rancher looks 45!!?

ATP

I’d have to watch the video again because it has been a while, but I recall her saying she has always disliked vegetables, but willingly ate and still eats lots of butter and meat—beef, venison etc. She had a dairy cow while her children were growing up and made her own butter from the milk and gave her kids whole milk and I think she mentioned recently experimenting with coffee so she does technically consume plants, IMO, but one that I’ve often seen many in the carnivore community consuming so it’s seems to me that for whatever reason, it’s one plant they don’t consider toxic.
For sure she eats plenty of meat but she didn't really specify how much milk and maybe she has honey and maple syrup. Those details are very important when promoting the benefits of a diet. It's weird that at 80 she only just started experimenting with coffee, maybe she might try smoking when she's 90.

PopSocket

For sure she eats plenty of meat but she didn't really specify how much milk and maybe she has honey and maple syrup. Those details are very important when promoting the benefits of a diet. It's weird that at 80 she only just started experimenting with coffee, maybe she might try smoking when she's 90.
I am pretty sure it is related to her need for more energy as she is getting old and she still needs to do a lot of hard work. I think she did the right thing waiting until 80s before starting to consume stuff that push the metabolism artificially. Imho coffee and other stimulants should be used only when the body stops working properly and needs a push to continue , not wake up in 20s and 30s and stimulate it every day like crazy and then wonder why we age so quickly.

ATP

I am pretty sure it is related to her need for more energy as she is getting old and she still needs to do a lot of hard work. I think she did the right thing waiting until 80s before starting to consume stuff that push the metabolism artificially. Imho coffee and other stimulants should be used only when the body stops working properly and needs a push to continue , not wake up in 20s and 30s and stimulate it every day like crazy and then wonder why we age so quickly.
That could be why but I find it interesting that someone would wait until their 80's to try something new.

PopSocket

@PopSocket

We are all past the rate of living theory on this forum.
Rate of living does not equate artificial stimulation in a healthy organism. There is no such thing as caffeine/coffee deficiency and never will be. With pretty much the same reasoning one can make a case for the benefits of amphetamines.

Herbie

@PopSocket it does because caffeine stimulates metabolism. I didn't say anything about any deficiency and there is no comparison with amphetamines and caffeine. Try harder

Jam

@albertarancher7780

@albertarancher7780

1 month ago

Hey Folks.. Maggie here. I am trying to answer questions that I see from time to time on this podcast . Bear with me as this " techy blogging" stuff is all new to me and I dont have time to really learn how to use it properly . Bear with me as I take the easy route to answer questions .On the subject of what we eat and drink here on the ranch ..We eat meat that we raise or hunt ..eggs ..cheese and butter when we can afford it ..and we drink water..hot with milk... cold from the well and we have a 20lb CO2 tank where we make our own Fizzy Water ..We started drinking coffee from Colombia where we also have a small farm that now grows coffee but I found that I began to "NEED" it and if I didn't have it , I experienced pain in my temples !! AND my fingers started feeling "THICK" . So I quit and after 3 days ..they were fine again and no head pain!! So we quit coffee and will drink it only to be sociable now and then I guess. We dont drink alcohol of any kind because we are like kids .. 1/4 of glass of any alcoholic drink and we are both feeling light headed and cant function properly. In our line of work .. physically AND mentally demanding 24/7 .. that is NOT a good thing!! LoL!
😅
❤
Cheers Maggie

PopSocket

@PopSocket it does because caffeine stimulates metabolism. I didn't say anything about any deficiency and there is no comparison with amphetamines and caffeine. Try harder
I don't want to try harder. A healthy organism does not need stimulants is all I am saying. If old or sick then yes, the body might need a kick in the butt. (when well fed)

Apple

I don't want to try harder. A healthy organism does not need stimulants is all I am saying. If old or sick then yes, the body might need a kick in the butt. (when well fed)

I see your point guys, but coffee is not just a stimulant. It protects you from all kind of cancers.
Caffeine is an antagonist of adenosine receptors and can attenuate dopaminergic toxicity, decrease inflammation, and upregulate A1 receptors. Moderate caffeine administration suppresses brain amyloid-β production. CGA improves memory impairment, affects locomotor activity, and exerts anxiolytic and antioxidant effects.
Caffeine and other molecules present in coffee seeds or coffee itself may be acting as “free radical sinks”, capturing reactive species generated during heating.
One cup of coffee before going out will protect you from skin cancer better than a sun lotion.
And so on...

Herbie

@PopSocket paradoxicaly with caffeine the healthier one is the more caffeine one can consume and that it has a relaxing effect on the nervous system.

Yeah Peat recommend having coffee with milk and sugar in order not to create an increase in adrenalin.

PopSocket

@PopSocket paradoxicaly with caffeine the healthier one is the more caffeine one can consume and that it has a relaxing effect on the nervous system.

Yeah Peat recommend having coffee with milk and sugar in order not to create an increase in adrenalin.
With the intention not to turn the thread about coffee use, this will be my last message. Also arguing against it's use on the Ray Peat forum is kind of rude. As @Apple said coffee/caffeine does indeed have many positives (which can be achieved by a healthy organism with the innate molecules it produces like albumin or t3). But it is an external drug that is not normally found in the human body. So it should be treated as one and not consumed on a daily basis. Again IMHO as I said in the original post. I could be wrong.

Regarding coffee being better tolerated by a healthy organism - the same can be said about any stress or direct insult - if metabolism is not good, many things can be dangerous or have side effects and less stress can be tolerated before sides appear. So not paradoxical at all. Coffee and amphetamines are also calming for people with "adhd" but this does not make amph healthy one bit unless used strategically and very short term.

There was a fascinating discussion by Ray, Danny and Haidut about luck, synchronisities and coffee in one of their best podcasts - in people with low metabolism it does in fact have very good effect and can literally be a world changer. I prefer b1, E, good nutrition and small doses of LSD ( just as a quick fix once in awhile instead of a daily habit).

HeyThere

With the intention not to turn the thread about coffee use, this will be my last message. Also arguing against it's use on the Ray Peat forum is kind of rude. As @Apple said coffee/caffeine does indeed have many positives (which can be achieved by a healthy organism with the innate molecules it produces like albumin or t3). But it is an external drug that is not normally found in the human body. So it should be treated as one and not consumed on a daily basis. Again IMHO as I said in the original post. I could be wrong.

Regarding coffee being better tolerated by a healthy organism - the same can be said about any stress or direct insult - if metabolism is not good, many things can be dangerous or have side effects and less stress can be tolerated before sides appear. So not paradoxical at all. Coffee and amphetamines are also calming for people with "adhd" but this does not make amph healthy one bit unless used strategically and very short term.

There was a fascinating discussion by Ray, Danny and Haidut about luck, synchronisities and coffee in one of their best podcasts - in people with low metabolism it does in fact have very good effect and can literally be a world changer. I prefer b1, E, good nutrition and small doses of LSD ( just as a quick fix once in awhile instead of a daily habit).
Actual LSD or microdose shrooms?

GTW

Yeah but it seems that gluconeogenesis and ketones can only provide sufficient energy or structure because the metabolism slows down to compensate.
It's rarely all or nothing. And you have it backward, cause vs effect. Higher intensity and anaerobic exercise involves more glucose\glycogen.
But I thought the focus was CNS. In hypermetabolic conditions, brain injury, seizures, high carb is counter indicated.

ATP

It's rarely all or nothing. And you have it backward, cause vs effect. Higher intensity and anaerobic exercise involves more glucose\glycogen.
But I thought the focus was CNS. In hypermetabolic conditions, brain injury, seizures, high carb is counter indicated.
Not sure what you're talking about but I was specifically talking about a lowering of metabolism when ketone bodies are primarily used as energy as a compensatory mechanism.

Apple

I know for sure coffee makes my body acke , but I always find a scientific excuse to drink it again and again and end up with 40 cups of coffee a day. I start with one cup but it is never enough, after one cup I forget that I was on "no coffee", it kind of changes your mind, makes you feel impenetrable/superstrong for a while.

Elie

Forum Supporter
dont forget, muscle meat contains glycogen;)
My understanding is that once the animal dies the glycogen is used up (rigor mortis) and depleted. Likely converted to lactic acid because there is no more oxygen to fully oxidize it.

Apple

This whole post looks like a carnivore propaganda, even if they feed their cattle and chickens with proper food and kill them in a humane way, don't they feel any pity or compassion for slaughtered animals ?
Or they just silently ignore these feelings and prefer not to think of origin of their lunch.

CSH

Forum Supporter
I'd like to see more and other photos of her. Not saying it's impossible, just not convinced by a tweeted photo ...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals